Topic: thumb over the top

Gidday

last night i saw The Moody Blues in concert.
I noticed Justin Hayward  playing guitar with his thumb over the top( on the bass strings.)
What`s that about??

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: thumb over the top

Some people hold the bass notes of a barre chord with their thumbs.  It makes it a little easier than using the index finger across all the strings.  At least that is my take on it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Some people mute the bass string(s) with their thumb  because they find it easier to strum all six strings with one muted than to try and strum just 5 or less. If you have long fingers and can get your thumb over the top then more power to ya!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,yeah he did seem to have long skinny fingers.
brilliant show!

The King Of Audio Torture

Lotta people play that way.  Hendrix did, EVH did, and SRV did right off the top of my head.  It's not according to Hoyle, but people make it work.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by bunbun 2011-11-28 07:04:33)

Sometimes you have to do it jsut to play the chord. In Alice in Chain's "Man in the Box" one chord in the chorus goes like this:

x

How do you play that without going over the top? Not only do you go over the top but you must mute the SECOND string with the thumb!

I can do that, index on the 6th string just touching the 5th to mute it, ring finger on the 2nd, pinky on the 1st. No thumb involved.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

8 (edited by bunbun 2011-11-29 06:47:51)

zguitar wrote:

I can do that, index on the 6th string just touching the 5th to mute it, ring finger on the 2nd, pinky on the 1st. No thumb involved.

Show off! It looks cooler the other way though!

I must say; I worked through it and I think it was meant to be done the way you say as it goes into an open D. The third finger would just rest as you bring the first and second down to their respective strings.

But it is still cooler may way!

bunbun wrote:

Sometimes you have to do it jsut to play the chord. In Alice in Chain's "Man in the Box" one chord in the chorus goes like this:

x

How do you play that without going over the top? Not only do you go over the top but you must mute the SECOND string with the thumb!

It has always been my understanding that a chord is three (or more) different harmonic notes played in unision. The above is comprised of just G and D so can it be classed as a chord?

I say no!

(Mind you my chord finder says it is a Power Chord G5,  but I still say no).

wink lol smile Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

10 (edited by flester 2011-11-29 11:09:00)

a 5th chord consists of only 2 of the 3 notes of  the corresponding chord. The one that's left out is the one that decides if it's major or minor. For example, G major is G, B, D. G Minor is G, Bflat, D. G5 has neither B nor Bflat so it can sort of replace a major or a minor. Might be more correct to call it a diad rather than a chord. They're hugely important in guitar playing.

There's any number of different ways to play an chord. Using the thumb to fret notes can help. Classical technique says it's a no-no but then that's mainly played on a wide, flat neck

5's are simply intervals of a perfect 5th.  It's a simple "power chord."  They have no special tonality, but sound awesome with the gain turned up.  There is no canonical definition of two or three notes being necessary for a chord. I prefer three notes for a chord, and two for an interval, but that's just me.

Roger Guppy wrote:
bunbun wrote:

x

It has always been my understanding that a chord is three (or more) different harmonic notes played in unision. The above is comprised of just G and D so can it be classed as a chord?

I say no!

(Mind you my chord finder says it is a Power Chord G5,  but I still say no).

wink lol smile Roger

OK....first of all Mr. Guppy (and I say this in the utmost humor and with a touch of tongue in cheek): I am a freaking beginner and still have issues with the difference betwixt a chord and a cord! To me it is a chord! If it is not then...It is still a chord to me! I know it is s chord because it comes from the "official" Alice in Chains song book I have and the song was written by Mr. Layne Staley (may God Rest His Tortured soul [ I had to say that for the AIC crazies. I liked Staley and all that but Cantrell gets no credit due to him...] himself) so it has to be real!

Secondly: You are most likely right. That is how it is tabbed din the aforementioned book but closer inspection shows NC above the note so...

IT IS NOT A CHORD!

Maybe?

And you other two have just given me a headache...

You guys sound like me trying to explain the pathophysiology of congestive heart failure to my students and I watch their eyes glaze over in severe cases of WHAT THE HELL DID HE JUST SAY?

jerome.oneil wrote:

I prefer three notes for a chord, and two for an interval, but that's just me.

I distictly remember my unofficial guitar teacher the great Jerome O'Neal educating me that a chord has a minimum of two (not three, TWO) notes.  So that's the camp I'm in.  A power chord is a still a chord.

And as far as thumb over the top, learn to play E-shaped barre chords both ways.  It comes in handy.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Lotta people play that way.  Hendrix did, EVH did, and SRV did right off the top of my head.  It's not according to Hoyle, but people make it work.

True, and I've also seen Prince play power chords with his thumb on 6 and ring and pinky on 5 and 4 (link below).  Like him or not, the man knows his way around a fretboard.  Epic solo right here starting at about 3:30, but watch it all.  (You'll like this;  I promise.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:

I distictly remember my unofficial guitar teacher the great Jerome O'Neal educating me that a chord has a minimum of two (not three, TWO) notes.  So that's the camp I'm in.  A power chord is a still a chord.

When I'm in my head, I still think that way. I've come to realize that I'm in the minority, though.  People get chords.  "Intervals" sound confusing.  smile

True, and I've also seen Prince play power chords with his thumb on 6 and ring and pinky on 5 and 4 (link below).  Like him or not, the man knows his way around a fretboard.  Epic solo right here starting at about 3:30, but watch it all.  (You'll like this;  I promise.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

'Nom

Prince is one of the most under rated players out there.  The guy is ridiculously talented.

This is off topic but isn't that George Harrisons' son next to Tom Petty?

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Prince is one of the most under rated players out there.  The guy is ridiculously talented.

Agreed.  I'm not a big fan of his music, but I can appreciate his talent.  He plays, like, seven instruments or something.

Jerrybass wrote:

I wondered who that was.  Now that you mention it, I'd say you're right.  If he's not George's son, he should be (looks like him enough).  Good eye!

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Jerrybass wrote:

This was part of the tribute to George and yes it is Dhani there.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"