Topic: Classical Guitar Player Migration to Electric

I have a colleague at work who has all his Classical guitar exams, but hasn't played for years. In an attempt to rescue him from doing nothing, I was encouraging him to look at electric guitar. He likes the flat wide fretboard with lots of finger room- so which guitar would suit him best?

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Re: Classical Guitar Player Migration to Electric

Almost any electric guitar is going to have some radius to it, so your friend will want one with the biggest radius he can find.   Ibanez and Jackson guitars generally have larger radius.  Strats and Teles will have smaller radius necks that will probably feel weird to him.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have to say teh SG guitars have a pretty roomy fret board.  That is why I like them. I have a Epi G400.  He should just go to a store and play around with some.  I think He will enjoy the SG  feel. not to mention its under 400 bucks.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Pretty much what I've been up to as well - classical to electric that is. I have  a Godin 5th Ave CW Kingpin archtop that fits very well. 12" radius. I've also picked up a Seagull by Godin. I found the transition very comfortable.

There's nothing right in my left brain and there's nothing left in my right brain.
author unknown

You might try out an epiphone dot great lower priced electric ( about $400.00 ).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I too have this trouble of changing from a classical to electric. The guitar is a Stagg X300 I find it very cramped. Ok is not a great guitar, but any advice on making the change less frustrating?

And somehow I find myself in the same life-boat as everyone else. When did our classical ship sink?

The question is; What electric guitars have the widest necks? As we want our transitional muscle-memory to transfer as seamlessly as possible.

I`ll say it once and I`ll say it a bunch of times. Go to a music store and try them out until something floats your boat. The old japanese electrics or danelectro`s have some pretty thick necks on them. They also look great too. You may have to work on the pickups a bit,It`s hit or miss with those.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Rabid wrote:

And somehow I find myself in the same life-boat as everyone else. When did our classical ship sink?

The question is; What electric guitars have the widest necks? As we want our transitional muscle-memory to transfer as seamlessly as possible.

If you want to keep your classical, get a transducer pick up:

there is this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … transducer

or a less pricy one one that still sounds good :  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … 5000000000

My buddy had the Dean Markley, we found putting it right on the lower part of the bridge worked very well.  With this you can keep your nylon strings and amp it up and add any effects that trip your trigger.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)