26 (edited by beamer 2011-12-14 21:49:34)

Re: Effects Pedals?

So Amy, If you do the math,   he can get at least 5 of the 15 dollar stomps from Danelectro, the delay cost more (24) Stay away from teh one called "Echo"  the money on the delay is better spent.

basic 4 pedals for a starter kit.  Compression, distortion (any flavor there is Overdrive, distortion, or heavy metal dano calls it FAB metal, or the fat cat series is the Black Coffee), delay, and chorus are my choices.

He can learn to twidle teh knobs and wont be overwhelmed with too much to mess with.  Thoes four pedals kept me happy for 10 years till I made enough mondy to step up. (an my parents did not buy any of it which made it more valuable)  But as I stated, I have bought my son the stuff also,  He did have to buy his own first guitar and proove he really wanted to play.

Let us all kknow how it came out! smiles and cheers!

PS: found this deal also

Now this really rocks! read the description, Where was this when I was 16!?! 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet … e=googleps

the multi effects is a great deal for a stomp + digital and stereo.  I would have loved my mom even more for something like this!

and this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 … _Trio.html

sorry had to edit had the same link pasted twice.  the first one is for the rock/metal pkg now.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

27 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-12-14 18:44:47)

You may want to check out a Peavey vyper sampling amp.It makes more different sounds and has more different settings than the cockpit of the space shuttle.They are fairly inexpensive for the 15 watt model.I have one and it is great.It`s like trying out the pedals before buying them.The only drawback(for me,anyways)is that I can get every sound except an amp with no pedals.You can buy other brands also.(vox,line 6 etc).I just happen to have the peavey.I think the 15 watt retails for 100.00.Don`t quote me if I am wrong.I paid 50.00 used.It`s a lot cheaper than seperate pedals too.I find that most of the pedals I buy just collect dust except for my overdrive I bought in 1984.Still use it.   One thing I bought my daughter is a Line 6 pocket pod.It isnt expensive and it has a few different effects.But I still stick by my idea of the sampling amp.It also comes in higher wattages which means higher prices.Also you can also try all the different effects on it too.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Amy,,
any decision yet with it being so close to Christmas?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Yuppers!  I took him shopping and let him play with a few of them.  I asked if he'd rather have a new amp with effects built in, but he really wanted the pedal to play with.  We decided that the $99 digitech multieffects pedal would be sufficient, although we liked the full digital read out of the slightly more expensive one.  He thought the expression pedal was cool, but figured he didn't NEED it.  So we went home.  Then I printed out my GC coupon and went back and bought the more expensive one (RP255) that he really wanted with the expression pedal for close to the $99 price!  It's got a drum machine and looper built in and comes with recording software (cubase).  Unlike the Boss (which is clearly built to last) it also comes with the power supply.  He'll be pleasantly surprised come Christmas morning.  smile  THANKS everyone for the help!!!!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

rock on! wish my 250 had a looper and cuebase!

The drum machine, looper, and software are enough that I very well might play around with his guitar a bit while he's in school!  LOL!  Hmmmm... might be time to get me a pick up for mother's day or some holiday coming up so I can play around with HIS new toy!  smile  Let's just hope he doesn't lose the instructions before then!

mekidsmom wrote:

Let's just hope he doesn't lose the instructions before then!

Dont worry, its all on Digitechs web page, along with downloadable user patches people have already made.  he will need to down load X-edit and two other programs to interface with his computer.

Ill help ya out ahead of time...
http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp255

look to the right  and you have manuals in PDF and the needed downloads for WIN or Apple

They have changed the web page a bit.  but its a good one. lots of info in the sound community, and the downloadble patches.    guitar products / RP and select 255

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/

ENJOY
P.S.  You can install the software on your puter also so when You are playing with his toy you dont have to use his computer.
P.P.S.
Heck I am going to spend some time here and maybe learn some tricks I dont know for my 250 and maybe some new patches have been added also :-) !!  WOw by researching for you I found new info for myself. SO CooL LOLOL {Thumbs up!}

"his computer" doesn't exist, so it will be on mine anyhow.  smile  Good to know... as soon as I get a little extra time I'll get those downloaded so it will make that portion of the fun a little easier... although, I have a feeling he's just going to be happy by plugging it in and playing with it as is for a while before he bothers with the computer.  THANK YOU!  I guess this could very well be a present for me as well as the boy!

Glad you found some goodies for yourself there too!  Merry Christmas!!