Topic: PIANO

Before i picked up the guitar i had already learnt the piano. This gave me a massive amount of knowledge and allowed me to learn guitar almost over night. For anyone looking for a general knowledge of music LEARN THE PIANO. It has helped me learn: saxophone, guitar, bass ,drums, trumpet, flute, clarinet, xylophone, harmonica and the triangle lol. Is there anyone else who has learnt the piano and can justify this stament?

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Re: PIANO

hey Alttex I have a question for you. Are there sites like chordie geared for learning the piano. I ask because we have a piano in our livingroom and I would like to take it up. I have been playing guitar for 32 years perhaps the same would apply for learning the piano

what a long strange trip it's been

I can agree with Altex's statement regarding the usefulness of learning piano.  You don't have to become a piano whiz - just use it as a learning aid.  It is a great tool for grasping basic music theory and becoming familiar with essential knowledge.  Even if you have no dreams of performing piano, it is worth learning your way around a keyboard.

Having a 'real' piano is nice, but even a little cheapo plastic keyboard is useful for learning about music theory.  You don't need to learn how to read music (although it is good to know) to benefit from knowing piano basics.

Google up 'on-line piano lessons' or 'free piano lessons' to see what is out there.

Also, if you have a piano that has been sitting around for years unused, or has been moved to new residences repeatedly - the instrument could probably benefit from a professional tuning and regulating.  Every area has professional piano tuners and many of these pros also deal in used and re-conditioned instruments.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

4 (edited by Altex 2007-06-19 22:02:24)

yeah, the piano is a alot harder to tune than the guitar lol

I'm with you on this one. Actually I was the opposite. I started on guitar and wanted to tinker on piano. It was easy once I realised that scales and chords are made of the same notes on any instrument it became easy to to start learnning almost any instrument . I just had to find the notes on the instrument. I think it's a great idea for any musician to try a little something on every instrument they can get ahold of.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

I agree piano helps ALOT!!!

omg it is true!!! I've been playing piano for 10 years( lol im fifteen) and i played guitar for a year only, but the piano helped me so much and im actually pretty good now with the guitar! and now im learning clarinet and bass, and it is so easy cuz a have a good knowledge because of the piano.. nyways ur right it helps a lot to learn piano

I did piano lessons as a child and hated them.

Today as an adult I find the piano too wide open. You have the same notes up and down the keyboard, which to choose? I like guitar because it locks you in to shapes and patterns. I can hear which chords I need and work through till it's right. Piano just sounds sweet everywhere. I know this doesn't make me a very able musician but that's why I think guitar is beginner friendly in a way piano isn't

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The guitar is a lot, lot, lot learner friendly than the piano. If you want to learn a song on guitar you can just look up the chords or tab. If you want to learn a piece on piano it takes you (genrally) half a year to perfect it. (this is how long you get to learn it for an exam. This year im doing AMEB gr 6.

I learned all the music theory I know on the guitar, then dug up my dads old keyboard and discovered how easy it was. Lately I've been working on my voice, and the keyboard has been a huge help with warm ups etc. Another thing I like about the keyboard is that it doesn't go out of tune. I definately like guitar more than keyboard/piano but pianos/keyboards have their strengths too.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Hey,
I soprano recorder first, and that has helped me a lot, because I then learned alto saxophone, and then guitar. Now I'm trying to find online piano lessons, and from what I have have found, being able to read sheet music first really helped me.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Piano cant really be learnt online the way the guitar can. It helps to have a teacher.

ur right, piano tabs are friggin hard to understand

Hey,
I have also figured that out tongue

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

That might be because pianos dont have frets? lol. I was going to say they didn't have strings but that isn't true. If you want to play the piano learn how to read music.

Altex is right on key.  I am a new member and decided to register when I saw this post as I was digging up tabs.  It definitely struck a chord with me (I'll stop with the puns).  Anyway, everything that has been said about knowing how to play the piano and translating that knowledge to the guitar has been completely true.  As well as other instruments, I also play trumpet and baritone.

I am still relatively new to the guitar, about a year and played piano for about 20, and learned everything I know from free lessons on the net. I have 2 friends that started the guitar at the same time. I turned around and started teaching them what I've learned!  I have also noticed that building on guitar riffs as you learn them is 2nd nature. I didn't realize it but I already knew how to play most of the basic blues turnarounds and riffs as I was searching them out.  It's a long, daunting task but if anyone is on the fence about learning the piano, just do it (with a teacher).

Playing guitar also compliments the piano.  I am right hand dominant on the piano, I think most usually are, and playing guitar has made me more limber with my left.

I thought about learning piano but I found it too heavy to hold under my arm!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.