Topic: Two Sides to Every Story

I wrote this a while back trying to turn an old Native American story into this song here. It’s about how there’s good and evil in all of people, and how people can easily end up becoming either. 

Two Sides to Every Story By Jeff Gilpin

January 13, 2012

Verse 1

There are [A]two sides to a story

[D]Two halves to a whole

[G]Two parts to a [D]person

But you only got one [A]soul

Same chords throughout the song

Verse 2

This old Cherokee grandfather

Was talking with his grandson

Trying to share a little wisdom

Before his old life was done

Verse 3

You have two wolves inside you

The wise old grandpa said

They battle on within you

Within all men it’s said

Verse 4

One wolf is evil

All anger and jealousy

Greed resentment lies and ego

Inferiority

Verse 5

The other wolf is good

Filled with truth and humility

Joy piece love hope

Kindness and modesty

Verse 6

Which will win the battle

That reigns forever on

You’ll have to wait and see

Because both wolves are strong

Verse 7

There are two sides to a story

Two halves to a whole

Two parts to a person

But you only got one soul

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Two Sides to Every Story

very nicely written Jeff, and having heard your style before... I can imagine what this sounds like too!  You have a way with words!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I like it jeff as amy says you got a way with words. I have a family that is as close as my blood family,they are 100% apachie indian,I am going too learn too play this for them,some of the girls can sing very good. I get too go too all the tribe gatherings and pow wows as a family member and no cost too get in.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Amy and Dino - Can't take credit for the story, but I did try and form it into a song. Good message that I guess pretty much everyone can relate to. Yep, Amy I playand sing it pretty much how you think. Dino - Let me know how it turns out.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hey jets two couples came too my place yesterday too watch football and we did play it and the girls sang. came out really good,you got offical indians approval!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino. Pass it on to them as well.

J  E  T  S

Nice work Jeff. Would be good to hear this if you get a chance to record it but I really like the story and how you've told it.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth