Topic: Godin Fifth Avenue Archtop - opinions?

I have seen a Godin Fifth Avenue advertised secondhand in a local paper, and am somewhat tempted! I am quite partial to Godin guitars in general, but know very little about archtops. I haven't even seen it yet, so have no idea on condition or playability, but I know that it doesn't have the optional P90 pickup. Any opinions on these guitars or particular faults to look for? I'm guessing Pix will know a thing or two here! Price is around $350 mark...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Godin Fifth Avenue Archtop - opinions?

Funny, that, I just got home from my local music shop, where they appraised my Kay that I just got. I picked up a Godin 5th and wow! I forgot how great they played, and sounded. On top of that, what a gorgeous piece of workmanship. Wonderful guitars. I've never owned one, but I lovingly cared for one as a favour to a friend under a bankruptcy for about a year. I wish I could've kept it.
Great instrument!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I actually went to a guitar shop with the intention of buying one. the salesman convinced me to purchace an archtop in a higher price range. ( it had nothing to do with the quality of the 5th ave. ) if your looking for an archtop in that price range you really cant go wrong.

what a long strange trip it's been

Thanks guys, but I was a bit too slow & the guitar sold before I got a chance to see it! Shame, but smuggling it into the house might have been a bit tricky...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

have had a 5th Ave. CW Kingpin for about a year now. Nice guitar. The p90 at the bridge is a little hot (great for that rock-a-Billie sound tho) but both middle and neck positions give great jazz tone. I chose Godin for the neck width (it just feels good!) and sound. Actually all my guitars are Godin. Hmm... (that's for portability). Also, I'm Canadian (eh?) and it feels good to buy home grown product at off shore price point. I would recommend it to anyone. (oh, btw, the 3 pos. switch can be flaky but that's the only critic.

There's nothing right in my left brain and there's nothing left in my right brain.
author unknown

When you're ready for an archtop Paul, I'd suggest checking out The Loar.  I diddled around with one at a shop and greatly enjoyed it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude