Topic: Synesthesia and how to harness it

Well, where to start...
After years of telling myself that it's not gonna work and I better bury my unrealistic dreams, I decided that the one who does not take risks, does not drink champagne, and decided to pick up an instrument.
The problem is-technically I am tone deaf. Badly. Neither I am gifted with a sense of rythm even close to average. Regarding this, I probably shouldn't be even interested in music, and I would probably end up listening to it only for lyrics if listening ever, if not a lucky coincidence.
When I was in primary school, they were testing a new music curriculum that involved not only singing our traditional folk songs (most of them similar in their level to nursery rhymes, I managed do be terrible at that) as the previous one, but also a huge amount of simply listening to classical and symphonic music and than verbalizing your experience.
That's when I discovered I was able to see/feel physical motion of ribbons, liquids, solid particles, while I was listening to music. At that time I didn't understand it was something unusual, it was just fun to get immersed in it while listening to Grieg's Peer Gynt ot Straus's Wiener Waltzer, and as it did not really help me to sing in tune, as soon as our music teacher changed, I was not very politely asked to shut up and please be silent while others were singing, so my enthusiasm about music kinda faded.
Only years after that I found out that the thing happening to me is probably a mild form of sound->motion synesthesia (I usually pay no attention to it, even though it's present all the time, sometimes, when I'm bored, I just walk down the street and watch the funny shapes made by street noises, but on most days I pay no more attention to it than to my breathing)
Anyway, I have just picked up the guitar, playing around with it (too embarrased to get any lessons at the moment) for a few weeks by now and it kinda seems to work. (Not like it sounds any good yet, but it feels good, I sleep better, and I'm generally happier person, I guess it's just that my fears of an instrument shattering just by me touching it didn't prove right, and as some little bits actually work I have hope that I'm not hopeless)

Are there any synestates out there who could share their experience and tell if their ''special skills'' have helped them in any way, and how to explore them? So far I have found out that there is very little correlation between the tones played and the ''picture'' at least the same tone on different instruments looks rather different, and the experience is hard to  record in any way as I rather feel it spatially than ''see'' it. It probably has something more to do wit rhytm but it's not a straight forward correlation either.

I know every synestate is different and experiences are unique, I was just wondering, should I explore it further, or just try to train basic skills from sctratch?

Re: Synesthesia and how to harness it

I think you should share what your smoking smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Bastard! You made coffee on my keyboard happen!

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Sadly can't share that, it seems to be that there are natural quirks in my neuro-chem  (or soviets put something in baby-formula),doctors tried to fix that with little white circular thingies, but, well, didn't work out quite well...

Anyway, so you say that is not common?

My wife is tone deaf but is my best critic. She can hear music fine but cannot reproduce it accurately. She did fine learning keyboard but will never be able to tune a guitar.
Twenty five years of playing six nights a week with a Fender Twin Reverb on 5 - rocked back on it's legs boresighted on the back of my head has given me a problem hearing A and E. Thank God for electronic tuners allowing me to compensate.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

i used to play in a band with a guy who was challenged in a keeping the beat kinda way. and tone deaf to boot. but he could feel the vibrations through the stage so his timing was almost close!!!! the down side was that if he started a song off in the wrong key he wouldn't know about it till he got kicked! he got kicked quite a lot before he finally got kicked out of the band!

the moral is; if you get enjoyment from music, playing or listening, do it. not everybody is simon cowell so we wont judge you.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I just looked up this ailment in Wikipedia.  It seems there are a few musicians with this.  Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein, Billy Joel, Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Wonder.  Here is the site where it explains how these people see colors for different things.  I feel for you, bud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe … ynesthesia

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I just looked up this ailment in Wikipedia.  It seems there are a few musicians with this.  Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein, Billy Joel, Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Wonder.  Here is the site where it explains how these people see colors for different things.  I feel for you, bud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe … ynesthesia

Duke Ellington? Pretty awesome. That really explains why there are Duke Ellington references all over Froth on the Daydream by Boris Vian.
I wouldn't call it ailment though. For me it's a way to compensate for what I don't have.

Anyway, I guess I just have to get over myself and get someone who knows the stuff to teach me or at least guide me the right direction, so I get the basic techniques right (don't think I'll ever get much further than basics, but the whole point of all this affair is mostly having some fun by myself, a bit of individual worship maybe) and than, let's see.

Thank's for encouragement, guys!

My understanding of that issue is that there's some cross-wiring in your brain so that parts of your brain that are usually exercised by optical nerves are also exercised by aural nerves.  Pretty cool. 

Anyway, with or without synesthesia you can learn to play an instrument.  If you have enough rhythm to say a phone number with the same beats as other people and if you have enough tonal recognition to follow along on the ABC's song, you have enough rhythm and tonal recognition to play. 

It is unfortunate that you were discouraged when you were young.  But all it means is that you're behind the learning curve.  It DOES NOT mean that you can't learn.  Not at all. 

I think you should stick with it.  It's a great thing that you recognize your weaknesses going in.  That gives you a huge leg up because now you know what to concentrate on in your learning.  Tonal recognition and rhythm.  Counting exercises will help with the rhythm.  Also, use a metronome.  Slowwwwwwwwwwly at first.  Go as slow as you need to to be able to count rhythms.  Even 30 beats a minute is not too slow if it allows you to count accurately.  Speed comes from accuracy, so work on the rhythmic accuracy first.  Tones - well shoot - that's a matter of intervals.  Scales out the ying-yang.  Learn the intervals that go together. 

Not exciting stuff - scales and counting exercises - but you CAN LEARN.  I am confident. 

And while you're learning, enjoy the show. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Your music teacher sounded like a jerk,I do not have anything too help you but hope you will not give up. Straus's Weiner Waltzer? What s up with that song?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

11 (edited by bluejeep 2012-01-30 01:07:49)

There is nothing "wrong" with you, apparently a rare gift has been bestowed upon you.  Make the most with what you have.  Music is for everybody so go ahead and enjoy "your" music.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Woot! Success!
Was playing around the other morning, when my mum suddenly started singing along. And it actually was the song I was playing smile Ok, that was a 3 chord folk song, but anyway, it was recognazible. Woot!

I start to apreciate I am Latvian. We have like millions of those folk songs having only a few chords, so there is heaps of fun material to prectice on taking one chord at the time smile

Hey, I'm a 63 year old retired engineer that started this stuff almost 3 years ago.  I love music but have never been good at reproducing it with an instrument or my voice.  That never stopped me, though.  A friend got me going with the git 3 years ago and I have not regretted it since.  I have never played outside my own home and probably never will.  I do it for ME.  Go For It and ENJOY!!!

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

Well done still_larva.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude