Topic: MEXICAN STRATS, are they any good?

I'm just curious if they are worth the cheap price.
I'm looking for a cheap electric.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Re: MEXICAN STRATS, are they any good?

Hi krhoades, 

I've got a Mexican Strat and I'd say it was well worth the money. If I was you I'd go along too your local guitar store and try out as many as you can in your price range and then make your choice.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

moddish wrote:

Hi krhoades, 

I've got a Mexican Strat and I'd say it was well worth the money. If I was you I'd go along too your local guitar store and try out as many as you can in your price range and then make your choice.

Craig.

Thanks,
I'll try that.
The hunt should be quite fun.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

We have two Mexican Strats...one, that my daughter bought new, is bone stock and sounds and plays great after it was properly set up and adjusted. I bought one at a guitar show that looked new and had a really great action...took it home and just couldn't couldn't get a good sound...I don't know why because the standard pickups are usually pretty good. I ordered a pre-wired pickguard and pickups from Carvin ($110.00 at the time) and now it really sounds and plays great! I had another one that was the 50's reissuse MIM that was a great guitar...I traded it a while back but it too sounded and played great. One advantage of the Strat (and clones) is that there are loads of aftermarket pickups, tuners, and other accessories to enable you to customize until you have that perfect guitar...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have a mexican fat strat but the pickups are just not very good but the guitar plays well , just have to find one that is built somewhat right and then have a technician set the intonation and action the nut needs some attension I put fender noiseles pickups in my guitar and now has the desired tone that i wanted depends on what music you like to play hope that was helpful.......

Their all built to Fender specs but the key is that you mentioned is that you changed the pickups and have to get it set up. Because you also mentioned that you found the desired tone you wanted.

Bootlegger.

What about squire's, is the only difference from mexican and American that they are made in Japan or do they they have cheaper Hardware? How much would it cost to replace it (the hardware)

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

For the price they are paid at, the Squier guitars are really damn good. You have better pickups in more expensive guitars, but the rest is not that different. Bridge, neck etc may be cheaper too than in the originals, but those can easily be replaced step by step if necessary.

Altex wrote:

What about squire's, is the only difference from mexican and American that they are made in Japan or do they they have cheaper Hardware? How much would it cost to replace it (the hardware)

Made in Mayalasia, usually plywood bodies. Good hardware will cost as much as the guitar.

Bootlegger.