Topic: Begin

This song started from a set of chords. The verse chords of this song got stuck in my head so I had to write this to get it out. The words are about the need for people, including myself, to get off the conveyer belt of life and start to live a little.

Begin By Jeff Gilpin

May 17, 2012

Verse 1

[D]Dogs on the [F]leash

[C]Birds on the [F]high [C]wire

[D]Rabbits stay [F]hidden

[C]Cats on their [D]own

[D]Dogs on a [F]walk

[C]Birds ‘bout to [F]fly [C]

[D]Rabbits are [F]timid

[C]Cats ‘bout to [D]roam

Verse 2

[D]Just like in [F]life

You [C]lead or you [F]fol[C]low

[D]Soar to the [F]heights

Or [C]just stay at [D]home

[D]Or go through [F]life

Just [C]as an ob[F]ser[C]ver

[D]Taking it [F]all in

[C]Up on your [D]throne

Chorus 1

[F]Par[C]tici[G]pa[D]tion

[F]A[C]li[G]en[F]a[D]tion

[D] A [F]virtual [C]na[F] [C] tion

[D]Won’t start to [F]live until you [C]put down [F]your [D]phone

Verse 3 (same verse chords as 1 & 2)

Driving to work

Days at the office

Driving back home

Sleep in your bed

Keep up the cycle

Until you’re finished

Can’t back out of it

Until you’re about dead

Verse 4

See a few people

As you drive to work

Doing the same thing

Same daily grind

Driving to work

Head in a cell phone

World’s going by

And time is just flyin’

Chorus 2 (same chords as chorus above)

No recreation

Until cremation

Drink your libation

When you’re so all alone

Verse 5

Pull back and step

Away from the racetrack

Slow down and step off

Of the time machine

Slow it all down

Try and remember

What it was like to

Think and to dream

Verse 6

Walking away

Take in the day

Look all around

Soak it all in

What will you do

Whatever you want to but

The path will go nowhere

Unless you begin

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Begin

Jets good one,the words really make you think alot!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino - That is what I was going for. Thinking is a good thing.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jet60  you`re a clever guy,always enjoy your songs.
you have inspired me to have a go @ writing a song.
thanx

The King Of Audio Torture

jets60 wrote:

Thanks Dino - That is what I was going for. Thinking is a good thing.

It is good for the brain,I think I should get my song I have been working on for awile and try too finish it soon, seems evertime I do one it always comes out being a country style tune,or one that needs horns.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey Easybeat - Thanks very much. That is actually how I got started writing songs. I was inspired by Chordie members James McCormick & Roger Guppy who set the bar high, but were very encouraging. I look forward to seeing your songs here and giving them a test ride.

Hey Dino - Nothing wrong with country. Just let it finish and see how it turns out. I have pleanty of country songs up here that were not country starting out.

J  E  T  S

jets60 wrote:

Hey Easybeat - Thanks very much. That is actually how I got started writing songs. I was inspired by Chordie members James McCormick & Roger Guppy who set the bar high, but were very encouraging. I look forward to seeing your songs here and giving them a test ride.

Hey Dino - Nothing wrong with country. Just let it finish and see how it turns out. I have pleanty of country songs up here that were not country starting out.

I like country but I have been trying too write Blues songs!!!

I hear you Dino. The best advice I can give you is to keep your story or lyrics simple, focus more on your blues chord progression, but make sure your words fit your music. This would be a good topic for the Music Theory forum. I bet many other chordie folk have experienced this too and could help you out.

J  E  T  S

hi jeff good one,it portrays your everyday drag of life and how it could be,well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Thanks Robert.

J  E  T  S