Re: What's the hardest chord you ever encountered?

Zurf, could you describe how to do a walkup from A to C? And remember, I'm not very experienced, so you've really got to spell it out for me. Thanks!

auxi wrote:

Bb was a pain, but I always thought F was worse. A/C# is still the hardest I've done.

So I looked up this chord, and there were 25 variations!  Which version of this chord do you do auxi?

B flat is hard, but honestly a lot of the barre chrods I struggle with....but Ive only been at it for about 2 years now.  smile

M.B. wrote:

Zurf, could you describe how to do a walkup from A to C? And remember, I'm not very experienced, so you've really got to spell it out for me. Thanks!

You just take a finger and after you play an A on the A string you leave all your fingers in place as much as you can and put a finger on the A at the second fret to get a B, and then you move to a C for an easy and nifty bass walkup. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

MB: I make my A with my index finger and then reach over with my ring finger to play the C#.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Open E flat is my pet hate. I'll use a capo before trying  asong in that key!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I can only say that if you look at many of George Harrisons songs you will find alot of hard to play chords.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi all, the hardest chord for me to play was the simple C chord when I was a novice. I am still a learner but this C chord is no longer a problem, don't know why it was back then.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

How do you play an open eb twangtown?

thats a good question

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Zurf wrote:
M.B. wrote:

You just take a finger and after you play an A on the A string you leave all your fingers in place as much as you can and put a finger on the A at the second fret to get a B, and then you move to a C for an easy and nifty bass walkup. 

- Zurf

Thanks, Zurf. I think that walkup sounds cool!

M.B. wrote:
auxi wrote:

Bb was a pain, but I always thought F was worse. A/C# is still the hardest I've done.

So I looked up this chord, and there were 25 variations!  Which version of this chord do you do auxi?

A/C# was the one I was struggling with in another thread.  I was trying to do a bass walkup in A:
A
A/B
A/C#
to resolve back to a D.

Barre the D, G and B strings with your index on fret 2, and then hit the A string on fret 4 with your ring or pinky.  Ideally it's x42220, but most people end up muting the high e.  Auxi replied in that thread and I think that's how she said she played it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I am STILL struggling with the open B7.  Reference this tread from over two years ago.
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14972
What I'm finding is that any chord which involves my pinky is still a bit problematic.  Open B7, G as 320033 , open G with fingers 2-4, etc. etc.

Working on it, but my pinky is stubborn.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

114 (edited by auxi 2012-05-28 22:22:20)

Astronomikal wrote:
M.B. wrote:
auxi wrote:

A/C# was the one I was struggling with in another thread.  I was trying to do a bass walkup in A:
A
A/B
A/C#
to resolve back to a D.

Barre the D, G and B strings with your index on fret 2, and then hit the A string on fret 4 with your ring or pinky.  Ideally it's x42220, but most people end up muting the high e.  Auxi replied in that thread and I think that's how she said she played it.

Yes, that is how I play it. And yes, I did post on that thread.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

the way I ended up conquering the chords I had problems with was I would find a song I would just love but would have that one chord that I couldn't get, but being as determined as I am I the passion I would have for the song would over come my struggle. that's how I finally got the Bm, B, and Fm chords down. Now Fm and Bm are easy but man I still have problems with that B chord hate it! LOL.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

JJ ember wrote:

the way I ended up conquering the chords I had problems with was I would find a song I would just love but would have that one chord that I couldn't get, but being as determined as I am I the passion I would have for the song would over come my struggle. that's how I finally got the Bm, B, and Fm chords down. Now Fm and Bm are easy but man I still have problems with that B chord hate it! LOL.

Good advice.  I did the same thing with pretty much all of the barre chords.  Just practicing them gets boring, but when you're actually using them in a song you have something to shoot for.  It makes a difference.

Astronomikal wrote:

I am STILL struggling with the open B7.  Reference this tread from over two years ago.
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14972
What I'm finding is that any chord which involves my pinky is still a bit problematic.  Open B7, G as 320033 , open G with fingers 2-4, etc. etc.

Working on it, but my pinky is stubborn.

Play it as x21222 and barre the top three strings with your ring finger. That makes it a 9 chord which is going to sound find in 99.99% of pop music.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Play [B7] as x21222 and barre the top three strings with your ring finger. That makes it a 9 chord which is going to sound find in 99.99% of pop music.

Interesting idea.  Thanks.  I'll try it.

I have also taken previous advice and muted the high e altogether.  That sounds OK too.

Yeah that would work fine. Or just

X212xx

That gets root, 3, and b7. Perfect voicing if you aren't sitting on it too long.

Baldguitardude wrote:

X212xx -- That gets root, 3, and b7. Perfect voicing if you aren't sitting on it too long.

That shape is especially useful becase it works all the way up the neck.  Or, if you want the full chord, after the next fret you can get the full 7th chord with the middle four strings (C7 shape):  x3231x

My fave is

X21224

BGD & Russell,  Twangtown didn't answer that open Eb question, so I'll have a go...

x65343

just a D +1 fret and the Eb on the 5th string, a bit of a stretch with the short barre on the 3rd fret but not any harder than that "effen" F.

Take Care;
Doug

PS it's nice to be back Home!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That's not an open chord. That's a barre chord in the "C" shape.

Baldguitardude wrote:

That's not an open chord. That's a barre chord in the "C" shape.

Exactly.  The only way I know to play an OPEN Eb is to tune down a half step and play an open E.

Twangtown may know something we don't.  Maybe that's why it's such a difficult chord.  smile

You could tune down to C and play a G chord.