Topic: Any avid handgun enthusiasts out there?

I used to shoot handguns from time to time with my grandfather when I was a kid.  Recently I have gotten back into it and I really enjoy it.

It's an expensive hobby (or can be), but target accuracy is a good skill to have.  I'm prepping for the forthcoming zombie apocolypse.

At least that's what I tell my wife.

She's not convinced . . . yet.

Anyone else into it?

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Any avid handgun enthusiasts out there?

One of my regular fishing partners is extremely interested in all things related to firearms.  He has several hundred guns for all different purposes.  He's a safety instructor and does frequent accuracy and safety training classes at his club.  He also sponsors sighting in days.  As a former V.P. of a couple different manufacturers, he knows a lot of industry folks and gets them to come to the club to help members get the best performance possible from their firearms. 

If you're ever in my neck of the woods (northern Virginia), let me know and I'll try to get the two of you together.  My buddy loves nothing more than taking folks over to his club for some target shooting or practice.  Then we can go grab a burger and a brew somewhere afterwards. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I own a pair of Browning 9MM's - had 'em for about 30 years. I used to shoot competitively, but haven't for about 15 years now. I also own a 12 gauge Browning pump shotgun, a 30.06 and a 7MM Mauser. Used to hunt (deer, moose, ducks, geese), but haven't been in 8-10 years. Hard to get the time off.

I miss moose meat steaks and venison roasts!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

4 (edited by dino48 2012-05-26 21:51:29)

I have a 357mag. pistol,a 12gage shootgun and a winchester 30.06.  I enjoy shooting them all. I no longer hunt but I do enjoy target practice now and then. I used too hunt wild pigs,quail and some duck hunting. and would have too shoot a rattlesnake now and then.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have tons of guns. Love shooting and have my ccw

I have a crossman 760 BB gun that I bought to scare away a raccoon that was making our front porch his home. I have a bad temper and I like to drink. I've stayed away from real guns for those very reasons. No doubt I'd be in prison and my kids would be without a mother (my ex) had I'd owned a real fire arm.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I have a large caliber wheelgun fetish and have been hankering for Kel-Tec's new shotgun.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I am a stupid gun owner. I am stupid because i don't own any guns. I had a friend who was a gun dealer and I was going to buy my first gun until my fiance put the kibosh on it. I should have bought the gun and told her after the fact. Hence, Stupid Gun Owner.

Baldguitardude wrote:

. . . have my ccw

CCW = Concealed Carry ... (?).  Don't know what the "W" stands for.

Assuming this is what you mean, in Texas we call it a CHL, or Concealed Handgun License.  I'm expecting mine to arrive in the mail any day now.

Texas has a reciprocal agreement with (I think) 35 states, but unfortunately Nevada isn't one of them.  So, Dude, if you ever decide to invite me to your place for a beer or six, you'll have to protect us because I'll have to leave my carry weapons at home.  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

10 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-05-28 00:52:58)

topdown wrote:

I have a bad temper and I like to drink. I've stayed away from real guns for those very reasons. No doubt I'd be in prison and my kids would be without a mother (my ex) had I'd owned a real fire arm.

IMO, the MOST responsible gun owners are those who do not own any guns because they know they shouldn't.  It's definitely not for everybody.

Astronomikal wrote:
topdown wrote:

I have a bad temper and I like to drink. I've stayed away from real guns for those very reasons. No doubt I'd be in prison and my kids would be without a mother (my ex) had I'd owned a real fire arm.

IMO, the MOST responsibkle gun owners are those who do not own any guns because they know they shouldn't.  It's definitely not for everybody.

Well said Astro.  Kudos to Topdown for knowing what is appropriate and what is inappropriate for him.  Well done, sir.  Well done.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

If you're ever in my neck of the woods (northern Virginia), let me know and I'll try to get the two of you together.  My buddy loves nothing more than taking folks over to his club for some target shooting or practice.  Then we can go grab a burger and a brew somewhere afterwards.

Thank you.  This sounds like one heckuva plan.  However, I don't foresee any trips to the area anytime soon.  I was born and raised in WEST (by God) Virginia, but have lived in the great state of Texas for the past 10 years.  I no longer have any close family in that area and no reason to travel there for work.

If and when I ever get back up that way, I'll give you a shout.  Thanks again.

Astronomikal wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

. . . have my ccw

CCW = Concealed Carry ... (?).  Don't know what the "W" stands for.

Assuming this is what you mean, in Texas we call it a CHL, or Concealed Handgun License.  I'm expecting mine to arrive in the mail any day now.

Texas has a reciprocal agreement with (I think) 35 states, but unfortunately Nevada isn't one of them.  So, Dude, if you ever decide to invite me to your place for a beer or six, you'll have to protect us because I'll have to leave my carry weapons at home.  smile

W = Weapons

Iowa legislature finally got wise last year and made us a "shall issue" state instead of a "may issue"
Use to be up to each county sheriff as to who got issued a CCW, some would and some wouldn't

Don

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Gotta Love the USA!
  One place where law-abiding folks jump the hoops and take the classes, get permits, and the criminals don't care.
Spent the Winter in Arizona, where they got it right... If you can Legally own a gun, you can Concealed Carry without any permit. There are exceptions for Public Safety However, gunpowder and alcohol don't mix so no firearms in Bars or Restaurants where alcohol is served.
  They have a lot of gun related deaths, but overall crime is down.  If there's a possibility Granny's Packin', it don't make sense to grab her purse!

The following is an actual 911 recording I heard on the news this last Winter:

An 83 year old lady that never fired a gun in her young life, took the safety class and bought a handgun to protect herself.

"911 what is your emergency?"

"There's a suspicious man in my back yard."

"I am dispatching Police to your location now."

"Thank You!.....  I think he's trying to get into the house!"

"Help is on the way Mam..."

"Don't you dare come in here!  I will shoot you! ... Should I shoot him?"

"Uh no Mam that wouldn't be a good  (BLAM!) idea, Police will be there shortly."

"He's still moving... should I shoot him again?"

"NO (BLAM!) !!"

"he's not moving.... I think he's dead.........................  I hope it's not somebody I know..."

LMAO!!!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Where i live I'ts a pretty good bet you would get hurt forcing entry to someones home or vehicle.

dman4505 wrote:

Iowa legislature finally got wise last year and made us a "shall issue" state instead of a "may issue"
Use to be up to each county sheriff as to who got issued a CCW, some would and some wouldn't

Yeah, I heard some stories in my CHL course about those "may issue" states.  Typically when that gets challenged in court the plantiffs win because the courts rule that the county sheriff doesn't have the power to circumvent a law-abiding citizen's 2nd amendment rights just on a whim.  Until it gets challenged, though, it's not going to change. 

I was very suprised to learn that Texas wasn't a CC state until around 1996.  The weird part is that even before then (at least as early as the 1980's when I visited Texas for the first time) you could actually OPEN cary pistols that were manufactured in the 1800's.  This was a loophole in the law to allow old west re-enactors to do their thing without breaking the law, but it applies to everybody.  It's still allowed today.

Doug_Smith wrote:

"he's not moving.... I think he's dead.........................  I hope it's not somebody I know..."

THAT'S hilarious!