Topic: Having Big Strumming Problems

Ive been playing the guitar for over a month but am still having probelms with strumming. Most beginner guitar books focus on chord change which I feel im comfortable with its strumming thats the problem particular strumming up the guitar.

I strum without a pick and I tend to miss the bass notes when strumming upwards. Im usure which part of the finger is best for the strumming upwards technique. I try to use the back of my fingernails but tend to twist my wrist to use my soft fingertips. Is this a bad habit or can you strum this way? It seems impossible to use the back of your fingernails when strumming upwards!

Re: Having Big Strumming Problems

On the upstroke, use the back of your thumbnail. If you hold your index finger and thumb together as if you had a pick in your hand you'll be able to strum up and down with a nail surface. Not saying to always hold them together that way but it might help if you're just beginning.

I have played for 20 years and I always miss the bottom note on the upstrum  -I don't think its uncommon, not least, because the upstrum is often the is the offbeat- but may be its just me

Hi,
i like to use my thumb nail when strumming! But now it is so weak it just keeps breaking? I have tried all  kinds of plectrums,  but never seem to get it right! It always sounds clanging to me? Any suggestions Please?
Thank You .
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hello Kendo
it's is to early  to get discourage I have like 4 months trying to play  and some times I get it and then lose it ,, my advice in my own experience is to get a very ligth  plectrum that way you going to be able to sound a bit better ,, and motivated to continue playing
I know Im going to sound like a skipping record but :
PRACTICE MAKES THE MASTER''  any  way I would suggest to check youtube for strumming patters , there's a lot of good stuff and very useful instruccions

don't get discourage and keep trying 

Pardon My english since it's my second lenguage:-)

take care and keep playing

6 (edited by Maverickmel 2007-07-01 14:45:18)

I have never had a guitar lesson, and I cannot read music to save my life.

But for a self-taught guitarist, I am pretty decent.

And, my tip to you is.... FEEL the music. The rhythm will come. Start with a simple ballad. And sing it out loud to yourself first, WITHOUT playing the guitar to get the feel for the rhythm, then start again with the guitar. Note that it is painful, and you will need to play the song at least 20 -30 times before you get the "muscle memory" ingrained.

Best of luck!

The Maverick

i have problems strumming as well. Like for instance, what a common l strumming pattern? I like alot of old folk music; donovan, cat stevens, dylan. . . what are their usual strumming patterns for this type?
thanks guys!

if struming is a problem then dont start a pattern pick and roll like they use on a bango make your chord changes proper and wala a whole new sound but i also agree with the first responce you got dont give up pratice and it will come

always pickin someting

i have beeen playing for 18yrs,my advise, try a pick.
fingers in my opinion are not for srumming  but are used for fingerpicking.
picks are made for strumming and picking,also you are just getting started,be patient.

Hi Satman,
I Have tried all kinds of picks? and i still feel it doesnt sound right? Looked up all the books on ways to hold them! no joy! Now i have no thumb nail{ well i have } but not  extended as it used to be! Keeps breaking?
Help Me please! Would the forum  advise useing  the picks that fit over the thumb?

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Old Doll,

I'm 43 yrs old and just started playing the guitar a year ago.  I  found the strumming part very frustrating at first too.  I wanted it to sound like the recording but I was too "busy" with my strumming.  All I could hear was the entire band in my head and I was strumming like mad to make it sound rich and full like that.  Doh!  My teacher really helped.  He started me out with simple strumming patterns and chords on songs and I've really progressed.  I've always used a pick, even for picking styles of songs.  Sometimes the pick feels really foreign in my hand but I just try to keep at it.  I use Fender Medium picks.  Good luck to you.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Try a fairly soft nylon pick.  Some have ridges or an embossed logo on them that give your fingertips a little 'grip' so the pick won't slide around.  I don't know the brand, but I have some that are a light or medium grey color.  they are very flexible.  Also try a dab of spit on your fingers to make them tacky.

Second, try strumming soft and slow.  Lots of beginners seem to strum too hard.  It is not good for the finish of your guitar, but a buddy had a steel pick when I was starting.  it forced me to go real easy on the strumming and sounded cool too.  Just be careful not to tear up your lacquer.

Try to keep your pinky and ring finger in (like a fist).  I started playing with them extended as a sort of cheat to keep control of my hand by letting them touch the body of the guitar below the sound hole.  I've gone to more of a loose fist and it allows me to rotate my wrist easier and better angle the pick. 

The guy who said to feel the music was right on, too.  Pick your best 2-3 chords and make your own thing up.  Take a D,A,E or Bm,A,E and play with that.  Another thought - I remember feeling pretty good strumming along with Jane Says by Jane's Addiction when I started out.  I think its a
G,G-G-G  AAAA G,G-G-G AAAA G,G-G-G AAAA D for the intro part, but you can sort of mess with it by itself to get a feel for hitting that low G string.

Just some thoughts - good luck

I'm with MaverickMel on this one--I think consentrating on the pattern makes the music sound wooden...feel the music...what is it telling you to play?

And I think light pics are nice and forgiving & you'll get an even sound...problem is if you're really digging into a piece, they'll break.  I like the tortex lights--they're only .5, but feel a little thicker and you can't break 'em to save your life.

well i guess i am just more advanced then most on guitar in here because all this is udder bull on this subject i mean come on ya all ur asking how to strumm a guitar do u not play any songs to know how to strumm  I LEAVE YA ALL WITH THIS ADVICE  SOME PEOPLE NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY CANT PLAY AN INSTRUMENT  AND THEN THERE ARE THE FEW WHO CAN PLAY AND WHEN I SAY PLAY I MEAN PLAY WELL NOT NO SMOKE ON THE WATER BS  OR PARTS OF SONGS I PLAY IN A WORKING BAND SHITS GOT TO BE NAILED AND DONE RIGHT OR ITS NOT WORTH DOING TO ME ... SO IF UR ALL MAD AT THIS COMMENT REMEMBER I HAVE THE RIGHT  TO FREE SPEECH AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL MAD U CAN SURELY KISS IT WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE !

Hey thats not advice it's your opinion. Maybee you can stick your ego head where the sun don't shine.

one caper after another

Muppet...

vampsfang wrote:

well i guess i am just more advanced then most on guitar in here because all this is udder bull on this subject i mean come on ya all ur asking how to strumm a guitar do u not play any songs to know how to strumm  I LEAVE YA ALL WITH THIS ADVICE  SOME PEOPLE NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY CANT PLAY AN INSTRUMENT  AND THEN THERE ARE THE FEW WHO CAN PLAY AND WHEN I SAY PLAY I MEAN PLAY WELL NOT NO SMOKE ON THE WATER BS  OR PARTS OF SONGS I PLAY IN A WORKING BAND SHITS GOT TO BE NAILED AND DONE RIGHT OR ITS NOT WORTH DOING TO ME ... SO IF UR ALL MAD AT THIS COMMENT REMEMBER I HAVE THE RIGHT  TO FREE SPEECH AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL MAD U CAN SURELY KISS IT WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE !

Vampsfang you must have started somewhere.
Have some respect for the people learning how to play the guitar.

You are probably one of those people who are always whining about Learner Drivers too.
You sound like you are too good for this site, maybe you should start your own "Experienced Guitar Players Only" site.  You also seem to be able to play more than just the guitar, too much organ playing.  Stop it you'll go blind!

The right to free speech is wasted on you.
Pull your head in, Loser.

18 (edited by Jikklop 2007-07-20 11:15:13)

Hello
I started at the beginning of the year and, not to be like vapmsfang here, I don't remember having such strumming problems... Then again, I'm a forgetful person.
With the strumming thing, I started off using my middle fingernail for the downwards strum, and my thumb fingernail for the upwards. The timing and all that I don't think I had a problem with... Maybe that's how bad I was tongue
I'm still pretty terrible.
I totally agree with JockMurray.
Free speech is wasted on you.
Pull your head in, loser. And take off caps lock. No-one likes it.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Well, I am trying to learn finger-picking, too.  And I'm doing a little strumming with a pick.  When I tried strumming with my finger and thumb nails it just sounded like mud.  So, I don't do it now.  When I want a chord instead of a note when finger picking, I just pluck the top three strings with my fingers and one of the bass notes with my thumb.  It's not a strum and it doesn't sound exactly like the guy on the record, but it's the right chord at the right time and that's good enough for me.

Remember, you've got ONE MONTH of playing and the guys on the records started, improved, became intermediate, went pro, got a contract, and THEN recorded what you're trying to mimic.  Thinking you can strum like a pro on a record after a month of playing is like thinking you can do open heart surgery because you dissected a frog in biology lab.  Be patient, do your best, add some more patience, and keep practicing.  I guarantee you those guys that sound so good on your records sounded like crud at the end of their first month of playing. 

Good luck, keep a smile on your face, and if it gets too frustrating for you just set the guitar aside for a bit until you're calm again.  Pick it back up.  You can't play well if you're all stressed out about how it's sounding.  If you're the sort of person who gets stressed over progress, maybe record yourself once a month.  At the end of a month, listen to how you sounded last month.  You'll hear the improvement if you're practicing.  But my advice would be to remember that you're doing this for fun and not to get stressed out over something that's supposed to be fun.  Just an attitude improvement can improve your playing and it will definitely allow you to progress more rapidly.

All the best,
Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've been playing for 40 years.  Sometimes electric sometimes acoustic, right now I have a 12 string.  When I was teaching myself to play, I played House of the Rising Sun for about 3 months, because there are 4 or 5 chords to use.  At first it was difficult, but soon I got the beat and then everything else became easy.  Hope it helps.

Hi  Kendo 86,

I'm with a couple of the other Chordies - just ignore Vampfang. He sounds like an obnoxious pratt.

Anyway, Justin Sandercoe has a pretty good beginners lesson where he discusses strumming (it's on video, too, so that helps. http://www.justinguitar.com ).

Alec