Topic: barre chords

Hi everyone, just joined the forum today and was wonderin if any of you good people could give me some help. I've been playin for a few months now and I've mastered most major and minor chords. Now i'm starting to learn barre chords. Can anybody give me any advice on where to start? Also any songs that are good practice for barre chords too.

Cheers, Mark smile

Re: barre chords

Two good songs to use barre chords:

- Wicked Games (Chris Isaak) = E, A, Bm

- What's Going on? (4 Non Blondes) = A, D, Bm

It might just be me but I think Bm and F are the easiest barre chords to play...  so I would stick to playing songs with those to practice your barres.  Once you feel comfortable then start playing other chords around the neck...

I think their harder personally... because the strings don't press as easily there.. less give.. might just be my guitar but A and D tending to be easier.

I first learned Bm as my first barre chord... I was so proud of myself!
Keep trying, you'll get there. I just learned them myself.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

A few songs that really helped me.
A very good starting point.

Cellulod Heros by the Kinks> F#m & BM

Creep by Radiohead > B, CM, F#m / nice with Appagios.

In your eyes by Ben Harper >  BM

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Good for you!! Bar chords are the greatest. I learned open chords first (almost everyone does) but I found there were some songs that were near impossible to play in open chords (the switches were so fast). When you begin to apply bar chords to some old favs you realize the switching is quite easy and quicker in some scenarios. Using bar chords gave me so many more options and creative rhythm solutions. Keep at them; they're not easy but they are well worth the struggles (the cramps eventually go away!!).

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey, Barre chords are essential to becoming a great guitarist
try switching between the different shapes while playing (even tho it sounds shit) so if you play an A major chord play it in all CAGED shapes. This excersice is great practice and helped me a lot.
Hotel California is a great song when starting off with barre chords...

Cheers for all the advice folks, really appreciated. Best get practicing eh??!!

Yeah, thanks everyone who gave Nealy advice.  I was able to glean some helpful tips from this, too...I'm about to start tackling barre chords also.  Thank you!

Yes, me too, also learning barre chords. Been avoiding them for a long time, but no more!

Barre chords are the same notes as open chords but sound 'fuller'.

Barre chords let you play sharps (and flats) with ease.

Barre chords allow you to make funky percussive shuffle beats.

Some songs that sound sorta wrong in open chords come alive with barres.

Once you get comfortable with barre chords try adding them to songs you've formerly played open. For instance an F to G change can become a barre move.

Electric guitar often uses barre chords and often varies open with barre shapes to give different texture to verse or chorus.

Don't look to clamp vice-like in a barre, try and flex dancer-like between positions. Remember an E to A move played with emphasis on the low strings will sound fine even if the E string sounds open as it's in key.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I don't quite understand what you mean, if i don't press the bar down hard enough, it doesn't sound right.
Also at this stage in learning i have to stop playing when i come to the barre to get my fingers in position. At the moment i can't imagine the time when i will be able just to go straight to it without stopping, and i have been practicing for weeks, i suppose i'll just have to keep at it but it's very frustrating!

If you pick yourself up an inexpensive electric guitar, it's much easier to practice barre chords.  Once you've learned how to hold the chords, you can then transfer it back to acoustic.  It worked for me at least.

hopeful wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean, if i don't press the bar down hard enough, it doesn't sound right.
Also at this stage in learning i have to stop playing when i come to the barre to get my fingers in position. At the moment i can't imagine the time when i will be able just to go straight to it without stopping, and i have been practicing for weeks, i suppose i'll just have to keep at it but it's very frustrating!

I'm from the opposite school than Kahuna. I say practice on a crappy action cheap acoustic, tough it out. Then when you finally get your hands on something nicer (electric or acoustic) you'll breeze through bar chords.

Elvis Costello

That depends on the person, whether you do it easy and transfer to hard and then hard and transfer to easy.

They both work.

I did hard to easy.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

yah i agree with geoaguiar, i had this super crappy guitar that absolutly sucked for barre chords and pretty much everything, but now i have this amazing one that i can play like SUPER AMAZING!!

I agree with everyone here too.  I, personally, started out with a non-crappy acoustic, then went to an electric.  I was merely suggesting to those who may be intimidated by the barre.  Either way is ok!

geoaguiar wrote:

I'm from the opposite school than Kahuna. I say practice on a crappy action cheap acoustic, tough it out. Then when you finally get your hands on something nicer (electric or acoustic) you'll breeze through bar chords.

Can anyone suggest a web site or pass on advice about barre chords, techiniques etc..   have been trying all sort angles, finger pressures even facial gestures,  maybe I need to have surgical modifications to my left hand, I just cant get it ,  if you have a little time, help me if you can, Im feeling down,
MIchael gold coast Australia

"There's no such thing as too much kindness".

Michael,
Hello and welcome to chordie. The trick to successfully playing barre chords is leverage. This comes from your left thumb(if you play right handed) placement on the back of the guitar neck. If you place your thumb on the lower third of the neck you'll find that executing these booger barre chords will be much easier.(if neck were transparent your thumb would line up with the D,G,and B strings) It's gonna take a little time and muscle building but once you get it, it's all worth it.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw's suggestion is as basic as it comes.  To add on to his suggestion, have you had your guitar set up correctly?  By doing that, you are assured the space between your strings and the frets are at its closest!  Thus, making it easier for you to barre your chords.  You can also tune your guitar half a step lower and use a capo to get standard tuning.  This will also help when barring. 

For me, I had my guitar set up with standard tuning.  Then, spent a few hours a day with a hand exerciser to strengthen my hand.  Now, barring chords don't hurt as much.  The key here is to play barre chords every day in a song.  You will see improvements after a few months.  Patience and play often!

Good luck!

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Michael,
Hello and welcome to chordie. The trick to successfully playing barre chords is leverage. This comes from your left thumb(if you play right handed) placement on the back of the guitar neck. If you place your thumb on the lower third of the neck you'll find that executing these booger barre chords will be much easier.(if neck were transparent your thumb would line up with the D,G,and B strings) It's gonna take a little time and muscle building but once you get it, it's all worth it.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Thanks for the advice and replies etc,   its really friendly here, tried out advice its getting a little better thanks all mmmmmm must go and practice pain is subsiding. SouthPaw41L good explanation. thankyou very much
Life is better when you play
Michael

"There's no such thing as too much kindness".

Hello everyone,
i started learning the guitar about two months ago and everything i going well. but i am finding the barre chords impossible.

i wondered if anyone else had this problem, you see i have really really small hands (even for a girl), smaller hands than all my friends. and i just feel like i'll never be able to tackle the barre chords. i just feel like my hands aren't physcially strong enough big_smile it must be some sort of conspiracy that everyone can do this but i can't big_smile (only joking)

thanks for all the tips so far. does anyone know if it is even possible to learn them if your hands are really small?

Hi BeatleFan
At two months of playing you should not even be thinking of playing barre chords. It's way to early the physical strength needed just won't be there.
Concentrate on the open chords first building up experience and strength as you go.
What seems impossible now will become within your grasp.
It all takes time and practice.

Good Luck

Ark

Strength and fatigue are issues. Try finding a song you really like with a common bar chord (like f) and then just keep at it. If you can make an F, B minor and B, the shapes will work up and down the neck. Just learning those 3 shapes pays off. Keep at it and play for short bursts; when your hand gets tired take a break. For me the key was loving to play..then it's not like work. Playing rhythm guitar with bar chords, there's almost no finer feeling...Above all else, whatever your pratice and play, just make sure your enjoying it

Elvis Costello