Topic: I don't mean to brag or anything

But guess who is consistently using a B chord in a song?  Well, 80% I hit it right.  It's not a barred B chord, but it's a B chord nonetheless.  Hint: He's been working on getting one to work for six years.  The same song has a Bsus4 I'm none to happy about...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I don't mean to brag or anything

Congrats!  First step toward mutation. 

Love the additions to the siggy too.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Your graded effort so far.......(Drum roll)........A solid "B". Now lets hope you can sustain it.....(could not resist punning around).

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

4 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-11-09 20:31:47)

Zurf wrote:

The same song has a Bsus4 I'm none to happy about...

Here's how to do it:  I know how you are playing your B chord.  To get the Bsus4 just keep fingers 2-4 together and slide up a bit so that your pinky is past the 4th fret.  The fret should actually between your pinky and your ring and your pinky is playing the E note (fret 5 string 2), but it's away from the sweet spot.  You don't need to try to separate your fingers (if that's what is causing the problem), but you might have to squeeze a little harder.

You could really impress people if you tell them you know that xx4442 is actually a 2nd inversion of B major, aka B/F#.  smile  Regardless, congrats!

Late edit:  I've found my latest nemesis.  I'm trying to play "It's too Late" (Carole King) and the Bbmaj7 is kicking my butt.  One of these days I will manage to beat my pinky into submission.

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

That doesn't work for this song.  It's in E but uses a D shape at the fourth fret to get the E in an alternate sound, which then drops back to B, but the Bsus4 is off the main E shape.  It's a pretty easy shape that'll just take some practice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf is playing a B chord?!?!?! Pack your bags folks, the end of the world is coming. You'll know when it happens, it will sound like a B chord.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

To B or not to B? Thats the question...

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Guess I'm a dumbass cant seem to be able to post anything any where. Was trying to help fix a song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. If I told you that I actually met Gordon Lightfoot and played this song with him 30 yrs. Ago you wouldn't beleave me. So I won't go there, However it's simple Capo 3rd fret, Asus, Em,G,D. Then repeat, then Asus,Em,G, D, ..C, Amin. Then Asus. Tryit sound pissa, Thats how he played it with me. Met 'em at Elena's Restaurant Rt.58 Halifax Mass. He gave a Concert that night at the South Shore Music Circus in Scituate. Back in1980. He had made mention of this during his break in the concert. Thats when my girlfriend and Brother actually Beleaved me. Hoped this helped anyone Oh yeah Play it on a 12 string.

P.S. I've met so many people that are afraid of Barred Chords and those that even get upset with me for using them, Why I don't understand? Yeah I know I'm a dumbass. LOL....... Best Wishes to all Of you Dicky Fisher....

Zurf you are really trying,thats good it took me alot of years too get the b chord down good as I have pretty short fingers,Ican play it and also the dreaded F well now,I think it was all the muscle stretching. I am glad I did because there are so many songs that have both of these chords in them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman