Re: Carly Jean

hey russ, you've done a fab job considering the crap bits of vid i sent you.

i must say that working with russ is one of the easiest jobs i've ever done, his chord progressions are 2nd to none. it's only when we get to the next stage, recording, that he gets to be a bit a pain!!! that's flat, do this again, shoot a vid...ha ha. but at the end of it, it's well worth it, though i wish my face wasn't on the screen so long!

ps. i shall be putting the words up shortly.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

in my defense, i busked the keyboards when i recorded them, all lucky guesses, it took me a while to work out the chords on the guitar, i hope russ will correct any errors. wink

Carly Jean.Undefined

[Em] I've been hiding how I [C] feel.

[D] And I've been hiding who I [G] feel it [D] for.

[Em] Carly Jean I can only [C] hold my words. (You know?)

[D] And yet the way I look at [G] you must [D] show.

[G] Someone asked me why I [C] seem so [G] high?

[C] Have I been [G] drinking or else [D] why?

[G] They can't see the inner [C] glow, I [G] hide.

[C] There had to come a time when [D] I, returned.

[Em] Carly Jean you bring me [C] to the light.

[D] So I need to tell the [G] world, [D] tonight.

[Em] No more secrets, no more [C] mystery.

[C] We have to set this [D] secret free.

[G] Somebody asked me why I [C] haven't [G] said.

[C] About these [G] feelings running [D] through my head.

[G] Someone overheard a [C] word I [G] said.

[C] On the `phone when we had [D] peace to talk.

[B] Something only we [Em] understood.

[C] Something only secret [G] lovers spoke of.

[B] And only time within our [Em] hearts reveal.

[C] The crystal [G] clarity of [D] love.

(SOLO OVER VERSE)

[G] Someday when all this [C] mess has [G] gone.

[C] And we can [G] live together – [D] free of fear.

[G] Someone knock and when we [C] call them [G] in.

[C] They will [G] smile and wonder....[D]

[B] Something only we [Em] understood.

[C] Something only secret [G] lovers spoke of.

[B] Till one day when our secret [Em] hearts see light.

[C] The crystal [G] clarity of [D] love.

The clarity of love.

Crystal clarity of love, my love.

The clarity of love I feel.

My dearest, Carly Jean.

Phill it looks good except on the bridge it should be   [C] something [G] only secret  [D] lovers spoke of   other then that its fine and I know I can be stubborn but that go's both ways my friend, thats the sprit of collaboration two or more composers exchanging ideas and arriving at a mutual agreement and breathing life into the song and its always a pleasure working with you and we will do more good lord willing and the creek dont rise smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

by the creek i guess you mean that small body of water that separates us?

as for being stubborn; how else do you get things right?

from the moment i heard "carly" i felt i could do something with it, which is how i like to work. when i said i'd like to start again from scratch, i didnt believe you could stitch all the tracks together, but you did and a fantastic job you did too.

i think it's obvious from the vocals that the key is too high for me. but the strange thing is that if i performed it on stage i could reach the notes easily. when i'm recording at home i think i limit my self as i dont like people walking outside my window (my studio is down stairs at the front of the house) hearing me screaming my chestnuts off with no music, (headphones) one day i'll build myself a sound-proof studio. cool

Russell I fingerpicked it and did some with my thumb on the E string and it sound pretty good also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Phill if your concerned about people walking outside and seeing you cover the window with some dark cardboard and print "recording" on the side facing the street thats what I do in my small apartment I put the sign on the outside so no one knocks or bothers me and its normal to sing free and loud live on stage but get a little inhibited if you are worried others are watching you.I had an offer to master my song "Good Hard ride" from a mixing studio a free mix to see what they can do they correctly pointed out all the songs on you tube are compressed and requested the single tracks from my digital recorder I dont have anything to lose and it might lead to something worthwhile if they do a great job on the mix and I cant edit the chopro to fix the omitted chords in the bridge as its not my forum you will have to and the key is not to high for you I think you do a better job singing when your reaching for it smile

Phill Williams wrote:

by the creek i guess you mean that small body of water that separates us?

as for being stubborn; how else do you get things right?

from the moment i heard "carly" i felt i could do something with it, which is how i like to work. when i said i'd like to start again from scratch, i didnt believe you could stitch all the tracks together, but you did and a fantastic job you did too.

i think it's obvious from the vocals that the key is too high for me. but the strange thing is that if i performed it on stage i could reach the notes easily. when i'm recording at home i think i limit my self as i dont like people walking outside my window (my studio is down stairs at the front of the house) hearing me screaming my chestnuts off with no music, (headphones) one day i'll build myself a sound-proof studio. cool

dino thats the first rule,if it sounds good to you it is but I am a stckler for accuracy on progressings smile

dino48 wrote:

Russell I fingerpicked it and did some with my thumb on the E string and it sound pretty good also.

Hi Russ Phill
Nicely done gents. I liked the the melody running through the song almost a background pad to the whole song gave a sort of melancholic ambient feel.
ark

Thank you ark, phill left room for a guitar solo but after listining to it I decided to leave it alone I didn't see any need for one I liked it for the same reasons as you smile 

arkady wrote:

Hi Russ Phill
Nicely done gents. I liked the the melody running through the song almost a background pad to the whole song gave a sort of melancholic ambient feel.
ark

it's funny how music puts thoughts of a song or words into your mind, and that's what russ's composition did for me. the words took less than an hour to write. i sent them to russ and he said go on, so i added to his original recording a keyboard string piano on one track, then electric piano on another. the vocals took a few tries. it just shows how good russ's composing is that the melody just appeared. i don't think the words made a lot of sense to russ at first as he wanted me to change some of them, i tried but i thought better of it, i like it as it is and i think russ does too now. i class the song as a success, and i'm proud of what we have done.

phill