Topic: Les Paul w/ No Pickguard

A classic feature of a Les Paul is the raised pick-guard seen on most models, with perhaps the exception of the "Prophecy" series. However, I found myself repeatedly catching the tip of my RH pinky on the edge of the thing (unwanted pauses, fingertip cuts) so I finally removed it this morning. Granted I have large hands and long fingers, but it's been a constant annoyance. It confines the way I was resting any free finger(s) as it lies almost flush with the string height, unlike an acoustic (my mainstay). And I have to say that not only is the play-ability now much better, (IMHO) it actually looks much better.

What are your thoughts? Does removing the Les Paul pick-guard amount to sacrilege, or have others done this?

Re: Les Paul w/ No Pickguard

If it helps your playing. Go for it. You may scratch the finish up after awhile. If that doesn`t bother you, don`t worry

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I like the more simple look. Less is more. I don't like lots of fancy things on my guitars.

This axe is awesome and completely plain. No inlays, binding, or pickguard. I love it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/freebass/2012%20Precision%20Kit/Lpaw6.jpg

If you're worried about scratches you can get a clear static cling pick guard.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the look of your les paul it makes it look clean and simple.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i love the finish on your guitar, it looks really cool. is it a real gibson or a copy? i ask because of the finish, the single pick-up and of-course the lack of the pickguard. how does it play?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zguitar ...

That's a beautiful sheet of maple you've used for your guitar, and the simplicity is in itself very classy. Did you chamber the body to reduce the weight of the maple? I've also never seen a StopTone tailpiece used "in reverse" like that. It must have been a challenge to get the intonation correct . Very pretty instrument ... congrats!

Oh how I wish it was mine!!! It was posted on another forum having to do with refinishing. It was a Precisionguitarkits.com kit. I'm thinking that is my dream guitar right there.

Here's a link to the thread if you're interested:
http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopi … mp;start=0

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of Les Pauls and have removed the Pick Guards...I like the looks, plus I like to rest my pinkie on the body at times...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I dont think you will find too many rockers that keep the gard, or its been lowered/modified.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have an epiphone 100 and took the guard off cuz it looks better.

I was contemplating selling my ES-335...never quite felt right. Before taking such drastic action I broke it out in rehearsal the other day. It's just never been comfy. I noodled with it - and inspired by this post, popped the pick guard off. Wha la!

Comfy comfy comfy!

Looks like we've started some kind of trend here.