Topic: Capo on the 1st Fret

I'm not much of a Capo user.  Usually I'll just transpose the song to a key I like and not use a capo.  I am finding however, that sometimes I just don't have enough fingers and so have started playing around with my capo.  I was playing Norwegian Wood and capoing the second fret...and all sounded well (as well as my ears told me)  I put the capo on the first fret and even my ears could hear something was amiss.  I plugged in my tuner and checked the open tuning and all was fine.  I put the capo on the first fret and the tuning was waaaay off.  Interestingly, the low E string was REALLY sharp..so sharp that was almost F#....and as I checked the rest of the strings....they became less sharp and finally the high E string actually fine.   The Capo is a brand name (Kyser) and it seems to work fine.  There's no buzz....and as I move it up the neck, the tuning gets a little sharp but all the strings are equally sharp.  So....any idea why the 1st fret is giving me some trouble??  I'm playing my '91 Telecaster with some Lace Sensor pickups.

It's better to burn out....than it is to rust

Re: Capo on the 1st Fret

could be to much pressure on light gauge strings I have a kyser too I play a strat and this has happened to me there are several capos that may suit you better I seen on from a topic on Chordie called G7 pro it sells for around 35 dollars or so I think if you get one that has adjustable pressure it may eliminate the tonal problems,thats one idea another possibility is your neck may need adjustment smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Sound like the nut on your Strat needs lowered a little.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I did have a problem with buzzing on the 2nd fret but the neck truss rod needed adjustment its fine now I just cranked it a few turns and the intonation is dead on and no buzz and I don't have any problems with a capo smile

Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I did have a problem with buzzing on the 2nd fret but the neck truss rod needed adjustment its fine now I just cranked it a few turns and the intonation is dead on and no buzz and I don't have any problems with a capo smile

Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

Sorry Russel, I was referring to GH's post.  I've ran into similar situations where the nut was a little high on some of the acoustics I've bought, causing the strings to be a little high all along the neck.  Shaving the saddle will lower the strings a little but they will still be high near the nut so there will be intonation issues when using a capo near the nut. If the neck is adjusted the strings can be lowered over most of the neck but can result in buzzing a few frets below the nut when a capo is placed on the first fret and the intonation issue still not solved.  Lowering the nut in conjunction with neck adjustments and/or saddle changes can result in low string height without buzzing and less problems when using a capo.

I've found some nuts that only certain strings were too high, causing them to be affected more by a capo than others and the problem was fixed with a nut file instead of lowering the entire nut.

All my experiences have been involved with acoustics.  Electrics may be different.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Check intonation at capo 1.

Ok...an update to my capo dilemma.  This capo appears to be position sensitive.  I found a capo position on the 1st fret where at least all the strings are evenly sharp as opposed to the low E being very sharp and the high E being slightly sharp.  Here's my new issue.  I know when a guitar has proper intonation, the open EADGBE should be the same as the EADGBE at the 12th fret.  I put my capo on the 12th fret and lo and behold.....its right on.  Now....I put the capo on the 5th fret.....and its sharp.  I put it on the 2nd fret...and its sharp.  As I work my way down the neck...it gets less sharp until I hit 12 and its right on.  So...any thoughts??  I'm leery of putting tool to truss rod.

8 (edited by beamer 2013-07-02 00:59:38)

On one or two of my acoustics, I removed the nut and sanded it down some,, but Its risky.  My opinion,
Take it to a good shop. let them fix it. what ever it cost, its cheeper than busting your guitar.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

This calls for a repair shop.

the first band i was in was not making much money so i didn't change the strings that often. the effect of this was that tuning was great open, but getting sharp or flat as i progressed up the arm. i'm now slightly better off so the strings get changed more often. i played a strat with trem in those days. could the strings need changing? just a thought

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks for all the responses....I changed the strings last week..so that eliminates one variable.  I think my next step is as BGD suggests....the guitar hospital.