1 (edited by Phill Williams 2013-08-06 23:06:38)

Topic: Tough Love

In the last couple of days there has been on the UK news stories of two of England's vintage soccer players. One destitute and living rough on the streets, the other has been an alcoholic for years but was fined this week for attacking a railway guard.
I didn't realise this had embedded itself in my subconscious until this song suddenly appeared tonight, when I thought I'd run out of songs. But here it is. The recording is on it's way. 

Tough Love.Undefined

[D] Nights are cold. I gave-up chasing dreams.

[Em7] Tough love isn't [G] everything it [D] seems.

[D] Days are long. And rain is falling strong.

(CHORUS)

[Bm] Lots of people live out there.

They [Em7] run around they steal they share.

But [G] I'm not going to [A] waste another [D] day.

[Bm] Thunder, lightning, sleet and snow.

[Em7] Rain will fall. The sun may show.

[G] Tough love isn't [A] everything it [D] seems.

[D] Money is tight. I gave-up chasing coins.

[D] Work is hard. And jobs are few and far.

(CHORUS)

||: [C] Tough love. Oh, [G] tough love.

[Em7] Tough love isn't [A] everything it [D] seems:||

[D] Wine is bad. I drink until I drop.

[D] I'm locked in here. To save me from my-self.

[Bm] Lots of people live out there.

They [Em7] run around. They steal they share.

But [G] I'm not going to [A] waste another [D] drop.

My [Bm] life is pain, I just can't sleep.

[Em] In my head the pain runs deep.

Just [G] one drink and [A] I'll be back [D] again.

[Em7] Tough love isn't [A] everything it [D] seems.

||: [C] Tough love. Oh, [G] Tough love.

[Em7] Tough love isn't [A] everything it [D] seems:||

Phill Williams August 7th 2013

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Tough Love

You see the same thing over here with these kids who hit the big time in professional sports and haven't got a clue about making their new found fortune last. In the last few years there have been seminars for all the professional rookies in some of the sports like professional football (the American kind). Usually, they invite some veterans who have learned difficult lessons to pass on to the new pros so they, the new pros, will hopefully learn to do better before bad things happens.

This song also rings true for the service men and women who come home and have difficulty finding employment and may be suffering from injuries or mental illness related to combat. Truly every homeless person in the world has their own sad story and most all would relate to your song here. It is a good song, and I want to hear it of course so let me know when & where you have it up.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

3 (edited by Billy Dunphy 2013-08-10 14:18:34)

I've been reading about the two footballers you refer to and it is the latest chapter in the long running saga of what can happen to those who seem to have it all, when any form of addiction takes hold. As it happens, I'm learning a song called "The Contender". Written by Jimmy McCarthy, it is based on the sad story of Jack Doyle who died an alcoholic having had the world at his feet.
I was interested to see that you thought you had run out of songs 'til you were inspired. It's over a year since I have written anything so hopefully this will spur me on .I look forward to hearing your song.

4 (edited by Phill Williams 2013-08-11 15:07:55)

hi jets and billy, thanks for the kind words. i've actually put this up on my space, if you'd like to give it a listen click the website button to your left then click "music".

FAO, the house i'm pictured standing in front of is John Lennon's in Menlove avenue Liverpool, i had the pleasure of visiting on my 60th 2 years ago.

Very Nice Phill - I really enjoyed it and I your vocals much cleaner without the reverb...adding this to my covers list.  smile

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

thanks jets. i try and make each song as individual as possible.

Hi Phill
I read that article about Kenny Samson. Seems like another one like Best and Gazza that just can't cope with life after their professional football careers have wanned and just turn to the bottle.
It seems a shame...
I had a listen and enjoyed and what I heard. I liked the use of the stereo panning at the begining of the song. Remined me of a song from the 70's in a good way..
well done.
Tony

thanks tony, nice to hear from you again. yahoo just informed me that they've removed your email from my list for some reason, have you changed it?

Excellent job! I enjoyed the rhythm, the lyrics, the orchestration, and the signing. A truly professional creation. I'm very impressed!

thanks artie'splaying. i've always written songs, but my true enjoyment is recording and playing all the instruments of course.

hi phill lovely piece,i remember years ago an old fellow used to call,same time every year on his travels,used to get a feed and drink,grand old fellow,dont know if he's still trecking or not over forty years ago....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool