Topic: Confused and Frustrated

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with scales. The problem is that every book/website/youtube video I consult has a different version of a particular scale. For example, I'm working on the E major Blues scale (0 pattern) and everyone seems to have slightly different version. Sometimes it's nothing more than a difference of a single note, but I don't understand why there's so much variation. Can someone explain this to me?

Re: Confused and Frustrated

The blues is a feeling its more of how you express the notes then any pattern or scale you follow there are many good examples one in particular is a long running thread in this forum http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=9 just watch and listen and you will get a good idea what the blues is the name of the topic is Friday's blues fix" smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Are you sure the notes are different or is it the fingering? A"blues scale" typically refers to a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of a b5.  Perhaps if you tell us what you are looking to accomplish we can help you?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Are you sure the notes are different or is it the fingering? A"blues scale" typically refers to a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of a b5.  Perhaps if you tell us what you are looking to accomplish we can help you?

Ok. On the All Guitar Chords site, the G blues scale is, starting at low E and going up

F  G
A# C
D F
G
C C# D
F G

On a YouTube video from Marty Schwartz in which he teaches a Blues Scale in G, it's:

E   G
A A# B
D   E
G A  A#
B  D
E   G

At Chordbook.com a blue scale is indicated:

G
A# C  C#
D   F
G

I could provide additional examples. What I don't understand is how there could be so many variations. What am I missing here? I have a very modest understanding of music theory.

Marty's is an e blues scale. 

All guitar is minor pentatonic. 

Chord book is g blues.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Marty's is an e blues scale. 

All guitar is minor pentatonic. 

Chord book is g blues.

God, how stupid of me. Thanks

No problem at all man. The problem with the internet is that information is frequently not consistent and not proofread a lot. To take note names out of it, here's a quick cheat sheet:

Minor pentatonic: 1 b3 4 5 b7
Blues scale: 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7
Major pentatonic: 1 2 3 5 6

I usually play a combo: 1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b7