Topic: plectrums!

I thought i asked this question last week? Totally losing the plot?

Can anyone give me any advice on Plectrums? Or how to use them properly? I have bought the lightest,and it still sounds like a banshees comb across the strings? Is there certain pressure I have to use? Looked at all the books for tips? I now have no extended thumb nail? Just keeps breaking!and the sound is muted with just the thumb!

Thank You...

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: plectrums!

hold the pick between thumb and forefinger - so that just the tip is showing and you are holding the rest of the pick firmly

angle the pick so that when you play a downstoke the tip of the pick is pointing slightly upward . This ensures that the tip of the pick crosses the surface of the string as it plays the string and that it does not get caugght behind the string. and when you play the upstroke try to make sure that the tip of the pick is pointing slightly down

Or you could get yourself a largish, heavy pick, holding it as suggested by johncross21, but with pressure applied along the edge furthest away from the string ( ie the top not the tip ). Ease the pressure until the pick can "waggle" when you strum across the fingers of your fretting hand.

Then approach the guitar - show no fear or the beast will know - and strum. It takes time ( I have heard people talk in terms of weeks ! It was certainly at least 2 for me.) to get the waggle to turn into a strum rather than a parade of caught strings or dropped picks.

You can use a light pick to speed the process, but you will have less control. Using a light pick reminded me of when I was a kid and used to clothes peg cardboard onto the front forks of our bicycles so that it caught in the spokes and sounded like an engine.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Thank you both for the tips. will do that!
Alan sheeran you just wrote my script! now 2 weeks?, ive been trying to master this for 2plus Years!.  Every time i hear that sound i just put the pick down... Some times it does sound right!but no consistency. So now i will persist....

Old Doll

Hi there old doll, how have you been, well I hope. could you please explain to me what the term plectrums means. I have no clue

what a long strange trip it's been

Hi Patrickjaques,

Are you taking the{ } out of this old doll today? Plectrum {singular } are small Kinda V shaped plastic PIECES one holds to play guitar strings! They come in different gauges! Believe me i know this, as i have tried everyone one in every gauge and colour?
Now Patrickjaques does this explaination satisfy your need ?.
As i have thousands of them send me your address and ill send you some!
And you can make yourself a fancy guitar case from same?

[Aside! What are plectrums i have no clue?

Im going to see Miss Nanci Griffitts tonight "Yipee" And you patrickjaques stressing me out asking me about Plectrums?.
"Its gone away yesterday, now i find myself on the other side, where the river changed direction across the great divide" Sorry Paddy i was just practising for the gig tonight! lol." Plectrums what are you like?
Old Doll.

Hi, Old Doll, Wedgie plectrums have a dimpled grip area which is a very good guide on how to hold your plectrum

This might help

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/usi … /page2.php

Thank you Rockgods, for that information, will check those out!

Wormproof 101, that link is excellent!

Old Doll.

I have had trouble getting used to using a plectrum when strumming. I have been trying all sorts after some advice from chordians after posting a similar thread when i first joined. I eventually found i got on better with a soft one, its a jim dunlop .46mm. I guess it would be too soft for some people but it seems to suit me. I bought loads of different ones to try and ended up using the one that someone gave me.

Hi hopeful,
theres a good music store near  where im going for a few days! i will try the dimpled one and the Dunlop! probably end up with more dimples then  golf balls! ah well it will match the one on my own face! Lol. Where will the babies dimple be? just reminded myself of that tune! Jeez how old am i?.
Nice to hear frrom you! Keep well petal!
Slán
Old Doll

Try a thumb pick yet?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Zurf,
no i have not! I did look at them on the net, but know absolutely nothing about them?

Old Doll.

I tried one with my bass a while back, and picked one up for fingerpicking.  I like a good solid bass note and it was a bit muddy with just my thumb.  My thumb nail wore down too.  Still taking some getting used to, but you may want to try one out.  It's kind of nice that it fits around your thumb and so makes it a lot easier to hold firmly, plus if it fits well it positions itself too.  The hard part is that your thumb is in a different position than it is for strumming, so that's what made me think you might like it.  It sounds like you were having trouble keeping the pick in the right position, so a pick that you hold a little differently might be nice.  For $1, it seems like something inexpensive to try anyway. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thank you Zurf, for that information!
Also it wont break the bank,as we have a great rate of exchange here Euro against Dollar! I Will probably order them on  line!
Appreciate you taking the time! I will keep you informed.....

Slán
Old Doll.

Hi old doll, I love this question, because I always think that I am lost if I don't have a plectrum. I play with a very good friend at least 2 times a week, and he is a drummer too which is very interesting for me, to keep the rhythm. We always play acoustic, and there are songs we play, we even create or compose them on the spot, where we strum, just one "strike" followed by blocking the guitar chords. Like we strum 1 time and we block that chord (almost always E), and slowly we start to strum more and block less, going almost always into a blues song. Here, lost without a plectrum, I noticed that it works without.
If I play alone, I DON'T like at all the hard kind of plectrums, I play almost always with a dunlop plectrum, not the softest plectrums, and certainely not the hardest. I use a soft plectrum, strong enough to have a crystal clear and quit hard tone. Which are the best: I use dunlop, I received about 10 Martin plectrums, most of them have "disappeared", and I received (nice isn't it, in a store in Finland) for free 3 kinds of plectrums, again not the hard ones.
There are guitar players using a nickle to play, and you also have the "finger plectrums" used in finger picking. This the part where I get sad: I am a very bad finger picker, and I want to play that style. I also discovered that the type of plectrum is dependant of guitar + strings.
Nice day

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

17 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-24 11:57:32)

Gitaardocphil - I've been self-teaching using a wonderful book called "You Can Teach Yourself Fingerpicking Guitar."  It's in the Mel Bay line.  I think it's designed for children, but I'm not too proud to use a child's book if I can learn from it.  I got through about the first six or eight lessons and have put it aside to incorporate what I've learned into my playing.  It's getting about time to pull it back out and learn another trick or two to incorporate.  I've tried many times before, but the key for me this time has been to accept that progress is going to be veerrrryyyy slow.  These arthritic joints don't move with the smoothness they did when I was agile, but the patience I have learned along the way has certainly made it easier to have a positive attitude.  I think the positive attitude has been way more important than agility in my fingers (which is improving as I play more). 

- Zurf

Hi Guitardocphil,
Im now wondering would the one that fits over the thumb, be more helpful with fingerpicking, as it would seem more stable? Just a thought!. I recently had a blocked pipe in my washer! Yes you Guessed right Doc!, I beautiful coloured plectrum after another, well it did make a change from socks?
Have a good Day.
Old Doll.

Love ya old doll, I will post some more facts, later.
I love this site, and the people here, sometimes there can be a problem, but I think that this site is very open and honest.
Coming back to your topic about plectrums, I don't know if I'm right, is that long times ago (when the animals were still talking) they used pieces of turtle, not the body, but, I don't know the word, so I write his home.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi old doll,

Just curious how you've been playing your guitar up till now.

I asked because I have never got on with a plectrum (picks of various types) or any other devise tried them all at different times and they just did'nt feel right.

Just use my nails and the fleshy part of my thumb for strumming I feel have more control that way.

Regards.
Ark

Hi Guitardocphil,
been away for a few days north of the tension line for a change! for a music festival!  Brilliant!   Only dealing with my post now! Thank you for your love Doc! always welcome here!  I will have to get Per to send me a secretary to catch up on all ive missed?. I watched a guy playing with a fitted thumb pick? he was magic! So Doc i am going to try this myself!..this should be fun? As im all fingers and thumbs anyway!
I have also been given the gift of some very special plectrums! Thank you Kind Sir!! you know who you are!?
Doc i will tell you all about the festival in Chat!
Slán
Old Doll.

Hi Arkady,
Ive Been using The fleshy part of my thumb! In the beginning i was thought to use my index and thumb nail together! But  I rapidly ran out of nails?
Ive seen loads of guitarist,and Banjo Players in the last week! all of them used Plectrums or in Paddyjacks case {Picks}. So a whole new education for me now?.

Slán
Old Doll.

Re! Plectrums/Picks..

I have purchased and recieved some new plecs. some i find a little better or easier to use!
Today i was given the gift of a beautiful Amber fitted thumb pick.  I have tried it out already and i have a feeling this might be what i needed?
It does feel strange as there is a slight distance from the strings, but it still felt good to use!
Will keep all informed, and once again "A Big Thank You to All"

Slán
Old Doll.