Topic: Back Outta Whack...

Just trying to access the wisdom of the Chordie hive mind on this one...
Of course, there are all sorts of back problems, and I remember reading posts from other Chordians with much worse problems, but does anyone have a similar problem to me? I have what you may possibly call a trick back. I can bend down & pick up a feather and if I'm unlucky, my back will just "go out" - followed by very painful spasms. I've had this since I was a teenager (ie - a long time). I have been told that there is a lack of mobility in the upper (convex) part of the spine, which puts a lot of pressure on the lower back, leading to pain and instability. There definitely seems to be some sort of instability there, anyway, which leads to the spasms - which are the body's way of protecting the spine.
Anyway, I have found some relief from this problem by working on my core strength, with pushups and also a yoga move called "The Plank". I also use something called a "foam roller" - basically a cylinder of hard foam that I lie on & roll up & down on my spine to help mobilise it. And it feels great! In spite of this, I recently had a really bad spasm - for no obvious reason, so am unable to exercise at the moment.
I am seeing a Pilates teacher next week & hoping that this may help, but any suggestions would be great! Am going back to the Docs as well - are there any drugs that are particularly good for back spasms?
Thanks All!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

2 (edited by Baldguitardude 2014-03-27 22:11:30)

Re: Back Outta Whack...

Stretching, ab work, low back work, and actually you might also get some help by working on those legs. Squats, lunges, etc.

Yoga.

Also find out if there is a Feldenkreis or Alexander Technique practitioner close to you.

I've had a bad back all my adult life. When it goes out it is usually because I haven't been doing my exorcizes so I have no one to blame but me. I have found that concentrating on stretching and exorcizing the thigh muscles gets me back in shape pretty quick. They're the largest muscles in the body (next to the butt I think) and if they start to dry up it affects everything. I feel yer pain Norm, I've had many a morning where all I want to do is just be able to put my socks on. Sorry I can't help you out with the meds, that's between you and your doc.

Hope this helps smile

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

We are here with you on that... how does the NHS feel about MRIs?  Your Physician should have a good look at what's going on in there and make recommendations on that basis.  I wouldn't be where I am if not for some good training by a crack physical therapy team following surgery, and that is an ongoing thing maintaining flexability and strength in something that is only held together by tendons and muscle.

If you've pulled something, there is always a good single malt and a long soak in a hot tub to ease the pain, but if that doesn't work... Tramadol might. But as with all drugs, consult your medical professional before starting any kind of chemical therapy.

Take Care & get feeling better;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Back problems are not fun! I had to retire last year due to my lower back problems. The doctor visits and MRI's have about worn me out. We've found herniated discs, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. I'm using pain meds, electrotherapy and stretching exercises as well as easy level terrain walking to control the pain. I also use an inversion table and was surprised to find this helps although its a strange feeling hanging upside down (my wife calls me batman). There other non-surgical treatments to try such as acupucture, braces, steroid injection and chiropractic manipulation. For me the most permanent solution will be surgery, I'm not looking forward to it and will try plan it for next winter. I hope your back problems are manageable and you can find a solution. The up side for me is, now I have more time to play guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I had a lot of back problems years ago, but a chiropractor friend of mine showed me how to strengthen my abs by laying in bed on my back and drawing my abs in and holding them for a count of five to ten seconds; and then releasing them for a few seconds and then doing it over again.  Repeating this over and over has strengthened my abs and therefore pulled those muscles tight from the back.  I do these every night when I go to bed and then again before I get out of bed in the morning.  It really is an easy exercise to do!  I also was told about the need to strengthen my hamstrings as they run all the way up the back of your leg and by stretching them and strengthening them they provide stability for your lower back; which if not strong enough is not supportive of your upper spine.  It is all connected; just a matter of getting the right things aligned and stronger to support. And, when injured, I always used to use a heating pad, but also found out that most pain is inflammation and ice is much better to reduce inflammation.  Good Luck; hope it gets better!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Strengthening your core, a stretching regimin, and regular walks are all ways to help.  It sounds like you're doing those already.  I don't have anything to advise that you aren't already doing. 

The only possible knowledge source I would have you check with is a Physical Therapist.  They constantly deal with issues of increasing flexibility where it should be and reducing instability where it shouldn't be.  Yoga and Pilates are wonderful exercise regimins, but the advantage of a Physical Therapist is that they have the additional training on how best to torture their victims.  No wait.  The advantage of a PHysical Therapist is that they have additional training on body mechanics from a medical perspective while still knowing how to correct for improper motion like a good yoga or pilates instructor does.  Also, therapeutic massage may help when you are recovering from an attack.  You should go to Sweden for a massage and charge your insurance company.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by dino48 2014-03-28 18:51:23)

Zurf wrote:

Strengthening your core, a stretching regimin, and regular walks are all ways to help.  It sounds like you're doing those already.  I don't have anything to advise that you aren't already doing. 

The only possible knowledge source I would have you check with is a Physical Therapist.  They constantly deal with issues of increasing flexibility where it should be and reducing instability where it shouldn't be.  Yoga and Pilates are wonderful exercise regimins, but the advantage of a Physical Therapist is that they have the additional training on how best to torture their victims.  No wait.  The advantage of a PHysical Therapist is that they have additional training on body mechanics from a medical perspective while still knowing how to correct for improper motion like a good yoga or pilates instructor does.  Also, therapeutic massage may help when you are recovering from an attack.  You should go to Sweden for a massage and charge your insurance company.

I have too say zurf has given you all the right answers. I will add if you do have if you have degenritive arthritis in the spine you need too exercise it daily,arthritis never goes away. I do about ten minetes  stretching and exercise every morning. Having a bike or stationary one will help as they align the body and get your blood flow going.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks, all - some good suggestions and info there...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic