Topic: Picks (or plectrum) - hard or soft?

Hi,

I had guitar lessons about 8 years ago.  My guitar teacher drilled into me the fact I should use the hardest pick I could find, therefore making anything else easy to play with - this included playing electric and acoustic.

Anybody have any comments on this?  A friend of mine had lessons and his teacher told him to use the softest pick and work up to a hard pick?

For acoustic guitar I am not sure I like the softer picks as you can hear the pick strike the strings a lot more - so you end up hearing the pick noise on the string more than the note you are playing....

Discuss......

Stu

'Keep on rockin' in the free world!!'

Re: Picks (or plectrum) - hard or soft?

My take on the matter is that it's all about personal preference. I myself prefer a thick pick.

what a long strange trip it's been

I prefer a hard pick...when held loosely you can strum and do rythm stuff quite well...then can "dig" in to play lead or runs... everyone has their own preference but I always found the thin picks to "slap" and have a thinner sound...  I guess the best answer would be to try some of each for your style of playing and see what works best for you!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hello Stu,

For my acoustic guitar I very rarely use a pick as you can get so many variations of sound with your fingers depending on whether you use flesh or nail, a single finger or several. You can also change from fingerpicking to strumming and back easily.

For my electric I always use a pick and I tend to a harder one for rocking and a softer one for gentler numbers but as Patrickjacques said it really is down to personal choice.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I use a hard pick but softer picks are more forgiving for beginners because they flex

I usually use a hard pick, but I've got a very thin one (.38mm) that I sometimes use when I'm playing a song that's faster than my meagre strumming skills would usually allow.  The flex of the pick makes up for my ham-fistedness.

i tend to use around a 0.79mm to a 1mm there always the best
like just right
quiet a big range but anything in there not too soft that it will break
but not too hard it will snap the strings

its just a name!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/punked_will]www.myspace.com/punked_will[/url]

I've just started playing and found thin(0.50mm) nylon picks great for strumming but my son uses around 1mm and can't use thinnner ones .Again try  a few different types

hey..  It it true that it really does depend on personal preference, although playing style and type of music affects it to.  If you play hardcore metal and are rythym, you are constantly strumming extremely fast and would probably benefit from a softer pick, although, as stated above, softer picks do tend to make a slap as the spring back from hitting the string above.  As for harder picks, which i prefer, they will probably leave you better off in anything other than the ridiculously fast strumming of some songs and music styles.

I like the Tortex thin's--they're only .5, but they don't feel like paper like the fender .5's...you don't get the noise or breakage out of them...get more sound than other thins.

11 (edited by Guitaristhelp 2007-07-20 09:53:08)

Generally, I use medium thickness picks:  Unless I need to up the tempo, in which case I use thicker picks with a sharp point...

Check out my site: [url=http://www.guitaristhelp.net]Printable scale, chord, arpeggio, blank TAB and manuscript sheets for guitar and bass[/url]

I started out using a Dunlop .46 & .77 nylon pick and then discovered the Dunlop Jazz-3 pick. That pick is ultra accurate but it's very very hard. When you are strumming, it's not the best pick because when you hold it loose to strum it has a tendency to get caught up on the strings and moved around in your fingers. With the bigger and more flexible picks you can go from accurate picking to strumming by just changing your grip on the pick and letting more of it stickout from between your fingers.

So now I'm just sticking to the bigger, more flexible picks until I know the fretboard better and can use the Jazz-3 to it's full ability.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I haven't been playing guitar for very long (7 months) but I use a thin pick (.37mm) or something like that...but I have to agree, you can hear the sound of the pick...So I guess it's like a lot of people said it's personal preference...try different size picks and use the one your most comfortable with...or for different types of songs use different picks.

Samantha B.

Rock on!

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Just a sub-note really - I recently picked up a metal pick - can't remember the name of the company that makes them now, bit pricey at £1.50 each, but really really good!  Nice tone, easy to play with, easy to grip!  And it's thin, but hard!  Will post again when I get home and check out the name of the manufacturer....

Hi again,

I checked and the make of the pick is 'Teckpick'....

As stated already...the pick is a personal preference.  I like to think of a pick as I think of the style of music I'm playing.  A hard pick for hard stuff and a soft pick for soft stuff.  I use a Gator Grip (.96mm), which is hard, for most of my ROCK playing on my electrics.  I like a Tortex .50 or .60 (flexible) for my acoustic stuff and also use an EB3 pik (about like a Tortex .50mm).  The lower the number, the more flexible it is.  A .96mm is stiff.  A .50mm is nice and flexible.  You can find your favorite at your local shop.  Thing is too....picks are fairly cheap, so you can buy several different kinds and find the one you like best.  Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

I play rock and sometimes really "get into it".   smile    I used to use heavy picks, but would break strings every night.  So I changed to thin picks and now break about a dozen picks a night.  Sure is easier to grab a new pick instead of changeing a string!!

Bobby
kickin.ws

hmmm.... well i think its really all in personal preference. When i play an acoustic i like a softER (not too soft) pick cuz of the neat little chicka chicka sound it makes, then if i'm playing lead or an electric i like a tougher one. hitting single strings is easier with a thinner pick, but then its hard to get a lot of sound out of it...

All You Need is Love smile

19 (edited by Guitarpix 2007-09-26 20:50:31)

Tortex Yellow .73  Just my preference.....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I read wrong, DICK in stead of PICK, but it's in fact a word that looks funny if you use it here.
This question, about the pick or plectrum: I prefer more soft picks, but than again not too soft. I use a lot of "dunlops", who are the best for me, to play. You have a very light gray plectrum, but that one is really soft, in fact too soft.
You can compare the pick I use with the structure and flexibilty of a credit card. I even, made 2 picks out of an old credit- or bankcard. They are hard, but absolutely not too hard, and at the same time they are soft, but again not too soft.
I think that the original, and also the first picks were made of the shell of a turtle.
You will also find guitar players using a coin to play. I tried this once, but the sound you get is TOO METALLIC.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have not done it for quite a while but for a long time I used old credit cards. I found that they were the perfect thickness. I once had a bank card that had my picture on it, I cut out the picture in the shape of a pick. I think that I used that pick for  longer than any other pick ever in my life

what a long strange trip it's been

patrickjacques wrote:

I have not done it for quite a while but for a long time I used old credit cards. I found that they were the perfect thickness. I once had a bank card that had my picture on it, I cut out the picture in the shape of a pick. I think that I used that pick for  longer than any other pick ever in my life

yeah when i first started playing i used to cut up like dawn soap bottles and make picks out of them,,,

All You Need is Love smile