Topic: Tuning

Found an interesting video on tuning. I don't think it would make much of a diff for an average player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArj … 3249386163

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tuning

I do not think any of my tuners have that facility. I was pleased to notice that I am not the only person that applies pressure to the string between the nut and tuning peg then raising the pitch smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

I was pleased to notice that I am not the only person that applies pressure to the string between the nut and tuning peg then raising the pitch smile.

Roger

I found that interesting also... it seems to indicate that there is more going on at the nut/string intersection besides a simple slot to "guide the string".  There is also a bit of friction there, especially on the wound strings that can allow a bit of imbalance of tension on either side when tuning. I expect it helps equalize that tension so your tuning does not "creep" when you begin playing.  I do know that the practice is common in violin tuning.  Good video though!

Now if someone could just explain in simple terms why the "Referance A" note is not 440 anymore and changed to 445?
Has evolution changed our hearing (for the better) in the last couple hundred years?

Just curious;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Who says people are tuning to a445 nowadays? I haven't heard of that.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Who says people are tuning to a445 nowadays? I haven't heard of that.

I wondered why also BGD, the 440 reg tuning works for me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry for the confusion guys,  I was referring to the "chamber reference A"  the one used to tune orchestras rather than your individual instrument.  If you've heard that sustained note that large ensemble groups play before a concert... that one I understand is 445.  Still an A but slightly sharp for some reason that I don't get a handle on.  Maybe to compensate for all those Bb and Fb horns?????

Who Knows?

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Depends upon the group. Some conductors prefer alternate tunings. Sometimes a composer will specify an alternate tuning. Sometimes the orchestra has to tune to a fixed pitch instrument like a pipe organ. From what I understand orchestras in Europe tend to tune slightly sharp...I think its to brighten the timbre of the instruments but I'm not quite sure.

I tune to a=415 because I like the dark sound, reduced string tension, and superior bendability of an instrument in Ab.

Temperature also appears to be a factor when tuning. Tuning cold strings can sometimes lead to slight variations of pitch when they warm up, so i always give my strings a workout before tuning.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Interesting.  Using my snark, I tend to tune my lower strings a little sharp, and my high strings right on the mark.  I guess, maybe there's a little something to what he's talking about and I never even realized why I do it besides it sounds more "right".  I'll have to try what he's suggesting and see if I like that better (although I don't have the minus points, I think I might be able to figure it out somewhat).  In the end though, I think every guitar is probably a little different in how IT sounds best!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You have to tune these things?  Dangit!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

TwangTown wrote:

Temperature also appears to be a factor when tuning. Tuning cold strings can sometimes lead to slight variations of pitch when they warm up, so i always give my strings a workout before tuning.

I learned the hard way that when you're playing under lights you need to put that guitar onstage for a bit so it heats up.

gone

I mentioned this tuning method about a year ago after watching the same video. After thinking about it a long time,  I have to question if it's something more relevant to his guitar. Guitars as the wood ages can change somewhat. So is his guitar evolving over the years ? Years of traveling, humidity changes, stress on the wood components, and what ever else affects wood put together is this manner.  Would he tune a new guitar the same way ? Would it sound the same ? He doesn't say enough about how he decided on this method. My friends 10 year old Martin D-45 on the low E string must be played just below the fret or the note is not in pitch. It's that way all the way up the neck. Just that string. The guitar didn't start out that way. Maybe this would work on that string ? I'm not against this method and I know JT has a very interesting thought process and I respect that. I'd just like to know more about why he decided to tune this way. If anyone tries it let us know.

Joe

I'll tune each string to exact pitch using the electronic tuner, and then use the old harmonic tuning method as a double check. After that, I'll strum several chords to make sure they sound right, tweaking as I go. I also find that after this, the electric and acoustics will sound different according to the electronic tuner, even though they sound right when being played. That's the final measure ... it has to sound right all together.