Topic: NMD and NMBD

I recently went to the UK and came back with these. A Birmingham made Melody Major Mandolin Banjo dated about 1920 and a London made J.G.Winder Mandolin dated 1896.

They had belonged to my late uncle and I remember playing them as a youngster and when I mentioned them to my cousin she said her daughter had them, had unsuccessfully tried to sell them and they were kicking around in a shed. I went to see them and the mandolin banjo was presented to me in a hard case, dripping with water and supposed black but white with mould. I feared the worst and opened it with some trepidation....... the neck was adrift, but only unglued, the strings rusted away, but the skin was good. I threw away the case and have repaired the neck and the wooden back which was also coming unglued.

The mandolin was in better condition although there was a split down the front and most of the frets were longer than the width of the neck, again a bit of gluing and plenty of lemon oil on the neck and untreated front face of the instrument. Some of the frets had to be trimmed and the hard case is at a local cobbler being re-stitched.

I also got a violin but that is still with my sister in the UK as I could not get it in my suitcases.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3886/14194543077_4c4676f617_c.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: NMD and NMBD

Very cool looking instruments, Roger. The J.G. Winder has a very medieval look to it ... nice acquisitions!

Very cool. It's good that you know how to repair them.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Congrats, Now are you going to play them ?  I always like it when someone brings old treasures back to life.

Joe

Beautiful treasures! It is wonderful that you have them and can enjoy the memories and craftsmanship in them.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Both look cool,hope you can get them repaired and play them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

As I cannot play mandolin I think I will tune like a uke, but with a low G for the 4th, and play chords with them.....................

.........for now smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Very nice, Roger!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

bluejeep wrote:

Beautiful treasures! It is wonderful that you have them and can enjoy the memories and craftsmanship in them.

Indeed! 1920 and 1896 very cool antiques.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!