Topic: Inquiry from a newbie

I am currently having guitar lessons, it's my dream to learn how to play. I would just ask for some inputs and advise since in next month I will buying a guitar. Could you give me advice and inputs on what guitar to buy and what accessories to add?

Thank you.

spam links removed by topdown

Re: Inquiry from a newbie

Hi there vigon and welcome to Chordie! This is a great place to get started with your guitar journey. There are beginners like yourself on up to pro's who have done it all and everything in between. All are very helpful.
First, I think it's great you are getting lessons right off. It will cut down on the learning curve a bit. Just keep practicing and then practice some more learning your basic chords.
Not sure what type of music you want to play, but most start with an acoustic guitar. You can pick up good starter guitars less than 200 bucks. Try to get one with low string action as it will be much easier to play. Epiphone makes some nice entry level guitars.
Have fun and good luck!
                                                                                                                                          Dave

Gidday Vigon.
I see u an aussie,well u can`t go past an Aussie `Ashton` guitar.
Their entry level guitar sells for $129 in NZ
so i guess it even better priced for you.
It isn`t perfect but i think it`s equal to a $600 guitar.
Very playable,i`ve gifted several of these to budding players.
There is a model @ 149$ & 200$ also,  but to cheaper one is my choice.

The King Of Audio Torture

Welcome to Chordie!!

If you are just starting out, I'd have to second Easybeat's recommendation for a decent acoustic.  By all means get your hands on a few and compare what feels good in your, paws & budget, and.... above all be sure to have it properly set up before you take it out of the store.  Even a really expensive guitar that is poorly set up can be a chore to progress on.

Guitar with a case, pick, capo, electronic tuner, strap, and a willingness to put in the practice (plus desire), is all it takes.  But you did come to the right forum and community to encourage you and assist you in your musical journey, whichever direction it leads.

Welcome Aboard!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome, Vogon. As some have said it depends on the type of music you want to play and how much $$$ you want to spend. Common items would be a capo, strap, assortment of pucks, tuner, cleaners, case / gig bag. music stand and guitat stand. These items will work with either an acoustic or electric. If you go acoustic / electric you will need an acoustic amp and a cable. If you go electric you'll need an electric guitar amp (you can use the same cable). Getting a proper set-up for a low action ang using a light guage (or ultra light) strings well be a blessing for a beginner. This will make things a lot easier on the fingers. Learn your scales and open chords. When possible learn your chords with your middle, ring and little fingers. (Open chords G, E, Em. Am) Learn the open A chord with a one finger barr - I use my ring finger. This will make thing eassier / faster to change between chords and help later when you get into barr chords. There are many, many tips that people can give you but it is very important to listen to your instructor first. With your instructor you need to have an idea of how / where your lessons will go. Give the instructor all your attention and efforts but if the lessons are not going as you want be honest and tell them.  Oh, and expect sore fingers.

Nela

Some random thoughts.

1. Some people find nylon strung guitars to be easier to start with.  If you choose nylon strung guitars, unless you plan to play classical music get a folk guitar with nylon strings. If you plan to play classical music, by all means get a classical guitar. 

2. You don't have to get a guitar with nylon strings.  Some people think it cuts down on the sore fingertips at first, but I don't think there's any way to reduce the sore fingers.  The callouses you develop will be a badge of honor that you earn for persevering through the initial stage. 

3. All you need is a guitar and a tuner.  I like the clip on tuners.  Snark makes a good one, but there are some other brands out there as well.  Don't cheap out.  A really, really good tuner is only US $20.  Don't get one for US $8 that you'll hate and won't tune your low E string. 

4. It cannot be overemphasized that attitude is the main thing.  Make it not just your wish to play guitar, but your burning desire.  You need to put in practice time.  For the first six months, you will want to quit every day.  One magic day, you're going to realize that you can play that pesky D chord without even thinking about it, and why was A so hard in the first place?  For the six months after that, you're going to be getting better but your eyes will be opened to just how much there is to learn.  At a year, you're going to be sounding pretty good to yourself, and you're going to not only practice guitar but play music on guitar for relaxation and self-gratification.  At two years, people are going to be asking you to bring your guitar with you when they invite you over.  It's a slow road, but very gratifying, and lots of fun along the way (except the part up to the Eureka moment). 

5. You need a hat.  Not a baseball cap either.  It won't do not to look cool.  Hawaiian shirts are not out of the question, either. 

6. You can pick up accessories along the way.  Cleaners, cloths, spare strings, capo (would be a good first accessory to buy), music stands, stuff like that is all helpful to have. 

Have fun.  Enjoy the ride.  We're here to give and receive advice, and for your encouragement. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Oh, and for entry level guitars, there are many manufacturers.  I don't know what's available in Australia, but some international brands that are tough to go wrong with are: Seagull, Yamaha, Ibanez, Alvarez, among many, many others.  If you can get it, a solid spruce top guitar usually sounds better than a composite top. 

It would be a good idea not to get a huge dreadnaught style body as your first guitar, unless you are truly large with long arms.  I think many people find the 000 size more comfortable to start. 

There is a wide variety of neck shapes and widths.  No one can tell you what to do there.  It's all a matter of how it feels, and because you're a newbie you don't know what you like.  Get something that is comfortable in your hand.  Bear in mind that the 'right' way to hold the neck is to rest your thumb on the back and curl your fingers around.  The webbing between thumb and forefinger should not be touching the guitar neck.  You should be able to fit a magic marker or something of that size between the webbing and the neck of the guitar.  Bear that in mind when holding a guitar to see what feels good.  In general, on neck width, flat pickers tend to like a little more distance between the strings and so a wider neck, and finger pickers (bluegrass style that is) tend to like a little less.  That goes out the window with electric shredders, who tend to like narrow and thick necks.  But for now, all you need to know is that it feels good in your hand.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Vigon, Welcome to the"Best " site in the internet. I have two suggestions. 1. A guitar that feels right in your hand and that has correct set up.- string height set for optimum playability. If it plays easy you will stay with the learning process. 2. Zurf's number 4- Attitude and desire to play is everything. If you "Want" to play and learn every day you will learn to play. Everything Zurf said is true, you are going to want to give up and you will be frustrated. But stick with it and you will be more than happy the rest of your life. Many of us started out just like you and 40 years later are still strumming away. And loving every minute we do.
Best of luck on your journey.
  Joe

All above is great info,,,It would help to know a bit more about you and your taste and styles of music.
I am a bit the opposite on what to use to learn to play on.  I am from the electric school of thought.
so my thoughts lay down like this:

A:  electric guitars can be had as a starter kit for around 200 US.  My problem with a a lot of these kits is they are very cheaply made and you will be disenchanted with them.  I suggest finding a good used electric for around 200 or so, and a decent amp. Costs of great 10 and 15 watt ones out there for around 100.

B:  electric guitars have thinner strings. you can go with ultra lights .009 to .042 and it will be easier on your fingers. 

C: Electric guitars are easier to hold.  They can be clean  and sound pretty like Les Paul and Mary Ford or fat and nasty as you want to get.

D: You have many styles to choose from, and depending on your music taste, some guitars are suited better for country and jazz than rock or metal. 

E: My favorite all around electric is a Stratocaster styled body that has a pick up configuration of Humbucker Single Single. You can play just about anything with this set up (especially if your Humbucker is coil tapped to be a single or a double-- but that is a bit advanced for you right now)

F: You can learn all your open chords on an electric and even better yet,, you learn all your Barr chords and get comfortable using them.  As you stay on here you will hear that the biggest challenge for some is making Barr chords. And the dreaded B chord.  Learn to play B as a Barr and your good to go.
G: And finally, if you do get an acoustic,, you can put the .009 electric strings on it to build up strength and switch later on. I used .009’s on a Yamaha acoustic for a couple years.
HAVE FUN, VISIT OFTEN, AND ENJOY!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Another thought, Vigon. When you go to purchase a guitar have your mind made up as to the type of music you want to play and the type of guitar you want. If you are looking for heavy metal, grunge, rock n roll go with an electric. If country is your style you can go with an electric or an acoustic. For folk music go for the acoustic. If you have a friend who play's guitar and has the same musical taste as you, have them go with you to buy your guitar. If he is the same size as you, has hands approximately the size of yours, have them play the guitar for you. Take their comments to heart but make up your own mind on the purchase. Don't let the "bling" blind you as you are purchasing a "start-up" guitar and will be looking to upgrade later on. Don't over spend just because the guitar is all bright and pretty and shines. Buy as good quality as your money allows but keep in mind the accessories you will need. If you buy new or used be sure to have the guitar "set-up" buy a good tech. If you buy new this should come with the purchase. All the advice you've received in the above replies are good ones. Take your time, buy what your can afford but try hard to get the most "bang" for your money.

Nela

please d t it wont buy cheap!!! start with a gretsch 5420 it sounds a lot

i love my gretsch smile