Topic: Les Paul

Les Paul passed away 5 years ago today at age 94. He was still playing gigs in New York City at that age. A remarkable man who designed one of the most Iconic guitars the world has ever seen. Not only a talented musician his other inventions that helped musicians were ,  guitar pickups, effects pedals, multitrack recorders and a lot more. What would today's music scene be like without Les Paul. Thanks Les. I wish I'd never sold my 1969 Les Paul Standard.

Joe

Re: Les Paul

Tyson7 I sold my les paul in the late 1980's I was in need of some cash for more domestic things.I miss it a lot. I loved too use it on the credence Clearwater tunes a lot and some other artists. Russell Harding has a good copy that he hot rodded  with some new goodies so I may try that soon.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-14 10:16:28)

Mr. Paul was an imaginative genius whose legacy will live on for a l-o-n-g time. My dream guitar is a Gibson "Alex Lifeson" Les Paul Axcess. It's way out of my price range, so will likely remain a dream:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri … xcess.aspx

Some people don't like the weight of a Les Paul, but I personally like it for that ... doesn't swing around as much, and has more solid feel that I believe helps with the sustain and tone.

RIP Mr. Les Paul.

I  sold  my  les paul   about  7  yrs  ago  found  it  way  too  heavy   but  curiously  the  other  night when I  was  doing  the  sound  for  my  friends I  was  called  up  on stage  to  play a few numbers and  I  used  a  les paul  studio model  this  felt  about   half  the  weight  of  my  old  one .

Grah1 wrote:

I  sold  my  les paul   about  7  yrs  ago  found  it  way  too  heavy   but  curiously  the  other  night when I  was  doing  the  sound  for  my  friends I  was  called  up  on stage  to  play a few numbers and  I  used  a  les paul  studio model  this  felt  about   half  the  weight  of  my  old  one .

Watched a documentary about Les Paul, and curiously the LP was originally designed as a neck through with hollow "wings", which contributed to the signature sound.  Later in production, there seems to have been a change into a solid body which made the instrument substantially heavier. The SG (Gibson "Solid Guitar") was intended to be a solid plank from the start, unlike the LP that evolved into one.  I think (and it is only on opinion) the earlier "hollow" ones have better tone, but more costly to build.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

so  may be  the  studio  model is  chambered .

Found this that kind of shows what's going on inside an LP.... depending on the model:
photobucket.com/albums/ww49/XKolera/Guitar/23082011266.jpg

That could change the weight considerably considering that the body is something like 36mm at thinnest cross section.

Doug

8 (edited by Russell_Harding 2014-08-15 06:09:33)

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/XKolera/Guitar/23082011266.jpg

Doug you have to add [img]before the http and at the end[/img] in order for the photo to appear

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks for the assist Russell, I don't make a habit of posting photos, so it didn't work the way I thought.

This way is much better!

Doug

Doug_Smith wrote:

Thanks for the assist Russell, I don't make a habit of posting photos, so it didn't work the way I thought.

This way is much better!

Doug

your very welcome anytime smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"