Topic: Help with chords of sorts...

Hey,
You know those chords that like "A/E"? How do you figure them out? My brother can get chords like these that he's never seen before, and he can figure them out on the spot.
I find it quite impressive.
Help?

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Re: Help with chords of sorts...

I think it's for when the root note of the chord is changed. So instead of playing A from the 5th string with that A note being the root note, then it would be played from the 6th string with that E note being the root note.

Does that make sense? Someone, please explain it better!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Sounds right to me.

Jikklop, in order to be able to figure out by yourself how to play these chords, you may want to learn what note the first five frets on your Low E, A and D String play. That way, if you want to play a slash chord, like C/Dm, for example, you know where to find that C you "put on top of your original chord root". In this case, there's a C on the A String, 3rd fret, so put your pinky on that while fingering Dm, and there you go.

Cheers,
nc

Hey,
Oooooohhh.... Makes so much more sense when you guys explain it to me.
My brother tried to explain to me how to do it, but some how it didn't make sense.
Thanks!

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Yeah basically everyones got it. Like A good sounding chord like this is A/C#, which would be played like a regular A except that instead of an open A string as the root you fret play the fourth fret A string (which is C#).