Topic: Deformed Headstock

I spotted a nice looking 1968 guild on CL today, but it has a curious defect in the head stock:

http://images.craigslist.org/00h0h_ivss … 00x450.jpg

Have you seen this before? Do you know what causes it?

Re: Deformed Headstock

I have seen it once before on a kay acoustic and it played,the owner had the guitar a lot of years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I have seen it once before on a kay acoustic and it played,the owner had the guitar a lot of years.

Have the tuning machines compressed the wood?

I've seen something similar... on end tables and such where laminate has been installed over a "real wood" core.  In what you are seeing is likely that the black surface on the face is plastic with the inlay installed and glued to the headstock.  Wood expands and contracts with humidity and the adhesive will allow for a little "creep" or it would cause extreme "cupping".  When I refer to creep... I mean SLOWLY, rapid changes would create the warping effect you see.   

Underneath the wood should be true and stable, so the warping is truly cosmetic.  If it offends thee, you could heat remove the laminate and flatten it, then re-glue it again in an afternoon.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

+1 what Doug said. My first thought was that it has to be a plastic laminate. Wood doesn't act like that. If it's a good deal and plays nice then take a chance. You could always leave it as is.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Artie'splaying wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Have the tuning machines compressed the wood?

I really do not know,I think the other members here that have replied would be correct.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

zguitar wrote:

+1 what Doug said. My first thought was that it has to be a plastic laminate. Wood doesn't act like that. If it's a good deal and plays nice then take a chance. You could always leave it as is.

I was just curious about what caused the defect; the seller is asking $1200 which is too expensive for me.