1 (edited by Alikays100 2014-07-13 21:36:57)

Topic: lowering the action on a Takamine gn93 with a split saddle.

Hey! I just bought a Takamine gs93N gorgeous guitar and beautiful sound. It's an acoustic electric and plays beautifully. However I am still a beginner....
I already have a Takamine GS330S and the aciton on it is great. Is it hard to lower the action on a guitar with a split saddle like the Takamine g93...? I know in the older guitar there are shims under the bridge...just wondering..Also does anyone have opinions of putting electric guitar strings on an electric? I was told they play better and have a deeper sound, but am concerned about long term damage to any guitar I have if I do this..

Re: lowering the action on a Takamine gn93 with a split saddle.

Welcome to Chordie Ali!!!!!

Happy NGD as well.

If your new guitar plays well then why mess with it? If you really want to lower the action, but are inexperienced at doing so, I would take it to someone who knows how.

As far as the strings go, try it and see. There should be no ill affects of using elec strings on your acoustic. They will  definitely sound different because they are made of diff materials. "Play better"? That's up to you to decide. "Deeper sound"? I doubt it. Just remember to stay within a gauge up or down of what you currently have now. Otherwise you will need a setup done.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

Welcome to Chordie Ali!!!!!

Happy NGD as well.

If your new guitar plays well then why mess with it? If you really want to lower the action, but are inexperienced at doing so, I would take it to someone who knows how.

As far as the strings go, try it and see. There should be no ill affects of using elec strings on your acoustic. They will  definitely sound different because they are made of diff materials. "Play better"? That's up to you to decide. "Deeper sound"? I doubt it. Just remember to stay within a gauge up or down of what you currently have now. Otherwise you will need a setup done.

ditto!! I use electric on my tak. and yamaha and they sound the same too me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome to Chordie!!!

There should be no real issues with electric strings on an acoustic... like Dino I've done it.  The G string is not wound in electric sets usually, and the materials are magnetic, so you have fewer options of choosing alloys like you do with acoustic strings.  But that is a matter of personal taste.  Some folks like silk and steel strings, some prefer phosphor bronze, some like high nickel, my preference is phosphor bronze silk & flat wound which I think just get a little more out of my instrument. 

Prices are all over the planet, as are opinions I'm afraid, so you might spend some time sorting out which work best for you.

Good Hunting!

And Again Welcome;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

There ought to be no main problems with electric strings on an acoustic like Dino I've done it. The G string is not wound in electric sets normally, and the materials are attractive, so you have less alternatives of picking composites as you do with acoustic strings.

dany

Don't mess with action if you don't know how to do it unless you can afford to have a luthier fix what you mess up if you make a mistake.

That said there are a zillion videos on Youtube to show how to change the action of a guitar. That said, why do you think it's too high, and why would you buy a guitar on which you thought the action was too high without having the shop adjust it before you paid?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by NELA 2014-10-23 12:46:07)

Welcome, Alikays100. Gotta ask you a couple of questions before you start working on your guitar's saddle.

1.     Why do you think your saddle needs lowering?
2.     What about the nut? Does it need lowering as well?
3.     What about a truss rod adjustment?
4.     With such a wide varity of good acoustic guitar strings available, why use
        electrics?
5.     Have you tried a lighter guage string? This could make a big difference.

If you can't answer these questions yourself you need the advice of a qualified
guitar tech. If you do decide to do this all by yourself, remerber, take little baby steps. Once you file away too much off the bridge or saddle they are ruined and you will need to start over. This is a task worth knowing but get yourself educated prior attempting this repair. It'll save you a lotta frustration.

NELA

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-10-23 20:34:50)

Putting electric strings on an acoustic won't hurt the guitar, but I doubt you'll notice any difference in how they play if you're using the same gauge. The different metal components of electric VS acoustic string has to do with the job they're intended for ... in layman's terms:

Electric strings are designed to interact with the magnetic field of the magnets in the pickups. So they're usually a high iron or steel component, wound with nickel, nickel plated, or cobalt plated. The actual vibration of the string isn't making the sound, but rather the magnetic field interaction. They're function is entirely electrical.

Acoustic strings are typically made with a high bronze content, usually termed Phosphor-Bronze or 80/20 Bronze. They create a warm, vibrating sound wave, which the hollow body of the acoustic amplifies and projects out through the sound hole. There is no electrical function involved, just acoustic.

So the two string families can be switched from one guitar type to the other, but the results will likely be disappointing. The string manufacturers design the alloys for electric and acoustic strings for a reason, i.e., they're made to sound better on the instrument they were built for.

Lots of good info from the others, but I hope this little bit helps also. Welcome to Chordie!