Topic: Play together online - another option

http://www.jamkazam.com/
I haven't tried this at all but I thought some here might like to give it a whirl.

Cheers!
Jim

Re: Play together online - another option

looks like an interesting tool too try and play with others some of the members did do some Skype jams in the past maybe they will try this.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It does look interesting. Thanks for the link Jim. smile

My brother (on the other side of the country) have been talking about setting up Skype accounts so we can play together. I'll be looking a little closer at this.

Joe

Sounds like it'll work

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Well I set up an account and tested my connection tonight. It passed so I'm in. I made a 2 minute test recording and that came back OK as well. I don't have an interface at the moment so I can only plug one instrument at a time into my computer; meaning no vocals. I just used a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged my sound hole pick-up right into the external mic jack. I didn't think about it at the time but the pick-up may pick up my voice as well. I'll try that tomorrow night. This will be fun. smile

Here's the test recording.

http://www.jamkazam.com/recordings/ea31 … 00fad56c4c

I liked your little test recording I hope this works well it may be the best thing we can get here for jams,sharing info etc. Please keep us informed Joe.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks dino. It's actually a bit sloppy, with a couple mistakes, but I was just looking to find out what it sounded like at the other end.

8 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-11-20 09:10:00)

Yeah that seems kinda cool.... checked out the website and the concept videos, but noticed that they were in the same area ("in your area").  It would be interesting to see how it would work over a considerable distance as back in the early days we tried Skype and the latency was awful!!!  Granted internet speed has improved in those few years, but I still wonder.

I know, now I'll have to dig my interface out of deep storage and experiment..... again.  At the moment it's all in Jeff's music room (somewhere) from the last time we rehearsed.  He's had carpal tunnel issues due to be repaired next month, so it's been awhile.

I'll e-mail ya Joe when I get my stuff together.
Doug

Well it was a good thought..... except I'm not running a Windows Box at the moment, and although I can run it in emulation, it won't get out of it's own way crossing the street, much less further than that.  Wicked latency!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug,

Since you seem to have some experience with the interface, maybe you could help me. I bought a Behringer U-M2, just a simple basic USB interface with 1 mic and 1 instrument input. The "instruction" pamphlet contains very little in the way of instruction. Basically it says plug into a USB port, plug in an instrument and you're ready to go.  I can't get a signal into my computer through it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Be gentle on me. I'm not the most computer savvy person on the block.

Howdy Joe,  Well I suppose that you are using windows, and I also suppose that your PC doesn't recognize the interface when you plugged it into the USB port on your 'puter.  You will likely have to install some sort of driver software in order for your watchacallit to see the thingamajig....

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UM2.aspx

Scroll down the page until you see the box marked for your operating system (if it is a Mac, you'll have to go to the App Store and likely purchase it, money hungry so and so's they are!).  Agree and download the software and install to your system, there are lots of plug-ins also available free there, but for the time being, we are only interested in the drivers that will let your PC find your toy and use it as a audio input device instead of only your on-board microphone &/or plug.  That should get you running, so have fun and let us know if you have any problems.

Doug

11 (edited by Grah1 2014-12-11 09:00:11)

Good  info Doug  I  have  the  uca222 mini  interface  which  I  used  on my  old  computer with  no problems  but  since going to  windows  8  it  doesnt  recognise  the  audio input  and  the lap tops inbuilt  mic  remains  on  I  will  try it  with  the  drivers   Ive  just  down loaded .It  does  however  state  that  the  usb port   used in  the  install  becomes  dedicated  and will  block  any  other  audio  input  .

Grah1 wrote:

.It  does  however  state  that  the  usb port   used in  the  install  becomes  dedicated  and will  block  any  other  audio  input  .

Well that makes sense, but I would also expect that when you "safely remove" the device from the system, it should revert to the "native" input sources (so that the usb plug can again be used for other things).  You may have to manually select your usb interface as the "input source" in your recording software, and back again when you use the mic input (native) as it likely won't automatically register with associated applications.

Just added that so if you go to record and it doesn't hear anything..... there might be something else to do.  Plug-and-play isn't always that.

Also don't turn on Phantom Power UNLESS your using an active mic that requires it.  Grabbing the 5 volts off the usb bus and bumping it up to 59 volts puts a heavy load on your laptop batteries when unplugged from the mains. Mentioned that in case you are like Russell who wanders down to the park and records in the sunshine with the birds and squirrels chorus line.

Sounds like Russell needs a very, very long extension cord.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Doug_Smith wrote:

Howdy Joe,  Well I suppose that you are using windows, and I also suppose that your PC doesn't recognize the interface when you plugged it into the USB port on your 'puter.  You will likely have to install some sort of driver software in order for your watchacallit to see the thingamajig....

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UM2.aspx

Scroll down the page until you see the box marked for your operating system (if it is a Mac, you'll have to go to the App Store and likely purchase it, money hungry so and so's they are!).  Agree and download the software and install to your system, there are lots of plug-ins also available free there, but for the time being, we are only interested in the drivers that will let your PC find your toy and use it as a audio input device instead of only your on-board microphone &/or plug.  That should get you running, so have fun and let us know if you have any problems.

Doug

Hey Doug, Sorry, I only had a couple minutes yesterday and didn't have a chance to respond.

Yes. Win7, I3 2.5ghz, 500g hard drive, 4g ram. It loaded the drivers when I plugged it in and does see the interface. I can see it in "device manager" and it say's it's working properly when I do a troubleshoot. I also tried disabling the onboard mic.

If I scream into the mic or really pound the low E string, I get a quick little flash on the meter in my recording program. I can plug the guitar or the mic into the external mic jack and they work fine. The interface says it has a preamp built in but it seems like it's not doing enough to boost the signal. I'm really at a loss as to what else to do.

I  got  the  same  problem joe  I'm using  audacity  and   I  dont  get  enough  signal  Ive  tried  a  pre  amp  and  it  just  about  gets  there  . my  instruction book  says  take  the  feed  for  the  interface   from the  mixer  but  as  my  mixer  is  a  huge  thing  I  really  dont  want  to  drag it  from my  store room to  the  house  , it  worked  well on my  old  computer  so  I'm at  a  bit  of  a  loss  have  a  couple  of  mini  mixers  but  I  dont  think   they  give  any signal boost    but  I'll  let  you know  if  it  works .Good  thing  is  though   I  can now  deselect  the  on board mic .

A couple of things to check.... Does the device have an OPL (output limiter) if so turn it off and see if it gets better.  The other thing is that it should show up as a audio input device and likely will have a volume control (like your normal volume control icon) that might be adjustable. You probably already checked that though.

Is there an option to software route the input through the "line in" to your sound card rather than "Mic"?

I  managed  to  get  an acceptable  signal  through  one  of  the  mini  mixers now  I  need  to  try  a  proper  recording  and  see  how  it  goes .

Doug_Smith wrote:

A couple of things to check.... Does the device have an OPL (output limiter) if so turn it off and see if it gets better.  The other thing is that it should show up as a audio input device and likely will have a volume control (like your normal volume control icon) that might be adjustable. You probably already checked that though.

There only place I can find it is in device manager and there is no volume control there. Not sure what an OPL is but there is nothing on the device to change the input/output except for the headphone. There is a gain adjustment for each input and I have played with that to no avail.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Is there an option to software route the input through the "line in" to your sound card rather than "Mic"?

Now you're getting outside the realm of my computer skills.

It doesn't run into the mic jack. It just plugs into a USB port. If there was a way, I would try the mic jack. On the back there is a L & R audio output jack (for external monitor).

Well I came up with a less than perfect solution but it seems to work reasonably well. I just plug the mic directly into the computer and let it pick up both guitar and vocals. There's some background static and some audio jitter.

This is the first test I made with this setup. I know I'm using a cheap guitar but it really does sound better than what this recording might suggest.   I thought I'd had the whole song memorized but there are couple stumbles in there as well.

http://www.jamkazam.com/recordings/17a9 … 78bac852e2

joe you sound really good!

i use ableton as a DAW, each time i go to record a new track i have to go to the track input and select where the sound is coming from eg mic or your interface and also which inputs they are coming from eg 1- 2. 3-4 etc. i think it should be the same or similar in reaper or audacity. give it a try unless you've already tried and failed in which case....sorry

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

22 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-10 00:40:52)

Phill.

I have no idea what you just wrote! smile

Bill

ETA: But you're still my mate! smile 

(mate being used here in case Phill is British as some of you seem to be, not because I have the hots for him and wish we were married or anything.)  smile smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Phill Williams wrote:

i use ableton as a DAW, each time i go to record a new track i have to go to the track input and select where the sound is coming from eg mic or your interface and also which inputs they are coming from eg 1- 2. 3-4 etc. i think it should be the same or similar in reaper or audacity. give it a try unless you've already tried and failed in which case....sorry

phill

I use Acoustica Mixcraft V6 for doing stuff for myself at home. I'm actually having trouble with the input levels on that as well. That's a different problem though. It used to work right but with all the fiddling I've done, I think it's just a matter of figuring out which switch I flipped to cause the problem and flip it back.

But Jamkazam is a separate entity altogether and I only allow one at a time to run otherwise they would be fighting for control of the sound. It's designed to allow folks to play online in real time and it works for a lot of people. Just doesn't wanna work for me. roll To be fair though, I'm not the only one having trouble as evidenced by the chatter on their forum.

I have played with the input selection. I only have 3 choices; the built-in computer mic, which I disabled, the mic jack on the front of the computer and the usb interface. JK just released an update so I need to load that. Then I'll see if it made any difference.

Thanks for your input. Every little bit gives me another avenue to explore. smile

Joe

24 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-10 00:46:20)

Thanks, Joe, that helps.

Of course, if I had scrolled UP to see what this was about, I'd know, wouldn't I? smile

These are the hazards of being friends with me, I fear. Sometimes the obvious escapes me these days.

If I didn't have you ladies and gents to chat with, I'd be lost for sure, so forgive my many posts, if they are an aggravation.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com