Topic: The 1st Jet aircraft

I am a WWII buff on aviation it has been the belief that Germany had the first jet aircraft to fly mainly the Heinkiel in September of 1939 and later The Messerschmitt 262 but there was one that was even earlier in August of 1939 a successful test flight of the Campini Caproni C.C.2 jet from Italy took the honors it sits in a museum now here is a photo.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Campini-Caproni_C.C.2_2009-06-06.jpg/1024px-Campini-Caproni_C.C.2_2009-06-06.jpg

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: The 1st Jet aircraft

Awesome! It's a beautiful plane. Imagine what it was like for the first pilot to fly her for the first time.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

That's really a cool looking plane,looks like it was a two seater.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

4 (edited by Russell_Harding 2014-11-25 18:59:37)

BJ I think it would have been equal to going into space and dino it was a two seat aircraft, Germany made many mistakes and had they developed the Blitz Arado jet bomber which was activated to late not to mention the Horton stealth jet (it flew over 600 mph) and was even better then the ME 262 
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiiZAp2feVJzWf5ZpLZYyPUrVzFGm3sdWA_UMRJV02geDxTLzWjQ

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-25 21:09:43)

That's very cool, Russell !

During grades 7 - 9 (approx) I built 1:48 scale models of almost everything that flew in WW2, and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line. I had always thought the ME 262 was the first combat jet, and folks at Wikipedia are still saying that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262

My fav was always the Junkers JU87 "Stuka" Dive Bomber. It was one of the most feared aircraft in WW2 due to its unique tactical bombing capabilities:

http://www.canadianwings.com/Battle%20of%20Britain/images/stuka.jpg

Today, the US has tactical bombers like the fearsome F-111, which I saw in a demonstration several years ago, which left me gob-smacked:

http://www.ausairpower.net/USAF/F-111A-Mountain-Home-1.jpg

Our Canadian tactical bomber contribution to WW2 was the De Havilland DH98 Mosquito. It was made almost entirely of spruce lumber and plywood ... whatta hoot! It was apparently quite fast, but I would think it would have to be kept dry so the plywood didn't de-laminate! (LOL)

Well dang TF, I thought everything on the internet/wikipedia was true, now I'm gonna have to rethink my life. I built a lot of model planes, boats and cars in my youth until mom took away my glue.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

TF The ME262 WAS the first combat jet wiki is correct but the Italians built and flew the 1st jet it did not see combat

Tenement Funster wrote:

That's very cool, Russell !

During grades 7 - 9 (approx) I built 1:48 scale models of almost everything that flew in WW2, and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line. I had always thought the ME 262 was the first combat jet, and folks at Wikipedia are still saying that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262

My fav was always the Junkers JU87 "Stuka" Dive Bomber. It was one of the most feared aircraft in WW2 due to its unique tactical bombing capabilities:

http://www.canadianwings.com/Battle%20o … /stuka.jpg

Today, the US has tactical bombers like the fearsome F-111, which I saw in a demonstration several years ago, which left me gob-smacked:

http://www.ausairpower.net/USAF/F-111A- … Home-1.jpg

Our Canadian tactical bomber contribution to WW2 was the De Havilland DH98 Mosquito. It was made almost entirely of spruce lumber and plywood ... whatta hoot! It was apparently quite fast, but I would think it would have to be kept dry so the plywood didn't de-laminate! (LOL)

The De Havilland Mosquito squadrons were very effective in WWII the pilots took on missions knowing the survival rate would be low very brave indeed we owe a lot to these men

9 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-11-26 06:38:14)

Tenement Funster wrote:

That was one of my favorites!  Surprisingly they were quite survivable having heavy armament, outstanding performance and wicked speed.  The mostly wood construction made them less prone to detection by the early radar at low altitude.

My dad & his 2 older brothers were all Engineers, so when Pearl Harbor happened they all went down to enlist.  "You're an Engineer.... go see that man at that table over there.  You too, follow him, same for you.". Anyway, Dad and Britt wound up at Boeing designing the B29, Dan went to Grumman, where he was instrumental in getting aviation Spruce Plywood approved for use in Allied Military Aircraft. The light weight, flexible wood was not prone to cracking under stress and vibration, and was used in control surface components in many fighters like the Voight F4U Corsair.

Sadly, it contributed to the shortage of Guitar Wood (tight grain Spruce Top Wood) so there is a downside to everything....

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sadly I have bombed with my spruce top guitar!

Tenement Funster wrote:

During grades 7 - 9 (approx) I built 1:48 scale models of almost everything that flew in WW2, and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line.

OMG! We were cut from the same mold. smile  My favorite was the P-38 Lightning.

For those not familiar with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

bluejeep wrote:

Well dang TF, I thought everything on the internet/wikipedia was true, now I'm gonna have to rethink my life. I built a lot of model planes, boats and cars in my youth until mom took away my glue.

Smart mom!! My favorite plane was the P51 Mustang,they are still one of the best handling plans out there even though not a jet.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
bluejeep wrote:

Smart mom!! My favorite plane was the P51 Mustang,they are still one of the best handling plans out there even though not a jet.

The P51 was a good aircraft and when they fitted it with the Rolls Royce merlin engines it was wicked fast over 500 mph and in a dive it match the ME262 and shoot it down.

That Campini  looks like it's a rocket with a cockpit.

I was at the Nellis AFB airshow in Vegas a couple weeks ago. Saw some awesome warbirds and the newest jets. Too many to list, but man, I love those planes!!

If you get a chance, check out Dogfights, it's a good watch, put out by the History channel.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

That Campini  looks like it's a rocket with a cockpit.

I was at the Nellis AFB airshow in Vegas a couple weeks ago. Saw some awesome warbirds and the newest jets. Too many to list, but man, I love those planes!!

If you get a chance, check out Dogfights, it's a good watch, put out by the History channel.

I will see if my Netflix carries it they have a lot of History channel shows there might even be a few on you tube

16 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-11-26 10:22:38)

unclejoesband wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

During grades 7 - 9 (approx) I built 1:48 scale models of almost everything that flew in WW2, and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line.

OMG! We were cut from the same mold. smile  My favorite was the P-38 Lightning.

For those not familiar with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

The P-38 was going "zoom zoom" before Mazda ever started building cars. Very cool looking aircraft!

My brother and I shared a bedroom with bunk beds, and me on the top. One night, I rolled over in my sleep with my arm swinging the blankets over me. I caught my Heinkel HE III, essentially "spiking" it across the room. It took out 6 or 7 planes, and created quite a stir. I was very sad to lose my Heinkel, because I'd spent a lot of time building it. I had even heated a needle to make strafing bullet holes in the glass nose cone where the gunner sat.

All of our combat pilots who went to war in these aircraft deserve a salute for their courage. It was the Allied combined might and determination that countered the formidable Luftwaffe, after they'd wreaked havoc on much of Europe.

My favorite was the Corsair. It was built for one purpose - to shoot down Zeros. Second was the Black Widow, which when laden was just enough fuselage to strap a pilot and a big honking powerplant to a bomb. Once the bomb was dropped, it could gain altitude super fast to get away and didn't present much profile for enemies to hit, but it carried a LOT of ammunition.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

18 (edited by Russell_Harding 2014-11-26 16:39:45)

Zurf wrote:

My favorite was the Corsair. It was built for one purpose - to shoot down Zeros. Second was the Black Widow, which when laden was just enough fuselage to strap a pilot and a big honking powerplant to a bomb. Once the bomb was dropped, it could gain altitude super fast to get away and didn't present much profile for enemies to hit, but it carried a LOT of ammunition.

Zurf the P61 Black Widow of world war II had a crew of 3 and a top speed of 450mph is this the aircraft you are referring to?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Northrop_P-61_green_airborne.jpg/800px-Northrop_P-61_green_airborne.jpg

Or are you thinking of the Blackbird mach 3+ reconnaissance jet spy plane?
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9sI3_gE_MYl5lwHtSZRvNufVT2DiC-y_dnqBkJjo1uOmFw-R9

This conversation brings back memories - I also had model planes suspended by mono fishing line from my bedroom ceiling when I was a kid.  I'd stage them in dogfights and run mono from the guns of planes with dabs of yellow paint about every half-inch to look like tracer fire and string out cotton which had been blackened with a candle flame from the planes that had been "hit".  The only WW II jets I had were an ME-262 and ME-163 "Komet".

I can't verify if Wikipedia is correct or not but per their info on jet aircraft development: (Germany kept info on their jet development and first flights secret so Italy claimed first jet?)

June 1939 - first flight of Heinkel He 176 (598 kph)
August 1939 Heinkel 178 (turbojet 750 kph est)
August 1940 Campini Camproni (motorjet - 360 kph - pilot claimed he only flew half throttle)
April 1941 ME 262 (870 kph)
October 1941 ME163 (1004 kph)

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

The Black Widow.  A very sparse and highly powered plane for its doule duty fighter/bomber. They used it to divebomb enemy runways, which means it had to fly low and fast, get to altitude fast, dive fast while laying down cover, then get the heck out of there, then sometimes dogfight. It did all of that, but Zeros could dogfight better. That's where the Corsairs came in.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Dirty Ed ...

I love your idea for creating tracer fire between planes. Dang it ... wish I'd thought of that! I could have wiped out at least a dozen of them the night I whacked the Heinkel, if they were all connected in this way. It would have been a wonderful catastrophe. I tried to create smoking engines with steel wool or black-painted cotton streaming from the plane, but it never really came off that well.

22 (edited by Russell_Harding 2014-11-27 15:27:51)

Dirty Ed wrote:

This conversation brings back memories - I also had model planes suspended by mono fishing line from my bedroom ceiling when I was a kid.  I'd stage them in dogfights and run mono from the guns of planes with dabs of yellow paint about every half-inch to look like tracer fire and string out cotton which had been blackened with a candle flame from the planes that had been "hit".  The only WW II jets I had were an ME-262 and ME-163 "Komet".

I can't verify if Wikipedia is correct or not but per their info on jet aircraft development: (Germany kept info on their jet development and first flights secret so Italy claimed first jet?)

June 1939 - first flight of Heinkel He 176 (598 kph)
August 1939 Heinkel 178 (turbojet 750 kph est)
August 1940 Campini Camproni (motorjet - 360 kph - pilot claimed he only flew half throttle)
April 1941 ME 262 (870 kph)
October 1941 ME163 (1004 kph)

Ed can you provide a link to this information? I have the Campini Camproni 1st flight in August of 1939 I will do some research and check
I followed up on this and I am getting conflicting data, before I posted the photo of the Italian jet I was quoting a source that dated the 1st flight as in September of 1939 but other sources show it was 1940 (I am confused) and the German Heinkel jet's He 178 date of 1st flight as September but further checking shows it was the latter model the prototype He 176 flew in June of 1939 I apologize for posting the wrong information happy Thanksgiving

How about the F-82 Twin Mustang.

naolslager wrote:

How about the F-82 Twin Mustang.

The F-82 twin Mustang came late in the war 1945 and the production line was halted but some were used by Japan during the Korean conflict it had a top speed of 475mph and with extra fuel tanks a long cruising range they were discontinued in favor of the jet aircraft.
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-17210252890263/p-82-twin-mustang-40-70-5-nitro-gas-radio-remote-controlled-rc-warbird-plane-almost-ready-to-fly-w-set-of-retracts-1.jpg

If y'all ever want to have a Chordie get-together in Ohio, then the nearby National Museum of the Air Force in nearby Dayton would be a "must-see" visit while in the area.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/index.asp

There are over 300 planes on display including several WW II planes mentioned in this thread - (ME262, ME163, Black Widow, P-51, DeHavilland Mosquito, Mitsubishi Zero) as well as modern planes like the SR-71 Blackbird and a couple versions of the F-111.  Some of my favorite displays are the old bombers - B-17, B-24, B29 as well as some of the WW I fighters.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs