Topic: Gonna be busy for a few day's

shelling pecans. Had a good year and ended up with 80 pounds of pecans, this year. Picking them up today from the place I carried them to be cracked so now I gotta shell them. This will take awhile and I'll end up with sore thumbs but just think about the pecan pie's, sweet potatoe bread, sweet potatoe casarole with pecans, apple pecan pie's, toasted pecans w/ brown sugar.................................................................

Nela

Re: Gonna be busy for a few day's

Pecan is one of my favorite pies to make.  Replacing some of the white sugar with molasses plays up more of the pecan in the finished product, I think.  Add about a tablespoon of sour mash or bourbon to your whipped cream and your guests will never leave.  Merry Christmas!

At least you got your nuts!  Out here we have Filberts and Walnuts (I wish I had Pecan Trees, but alas they do not do well here), and my several trees fall victim to rampant squirrels that cut them down before they're ripe. Thirty years ago I'd think nothing of hunting the critters and thinning the population by virtue of lead poisoning.... but everybody wants to live "in the country" so a couple hundred yards in any direction is a tragedy lurking.

PETA is happy, and we have to buy our nuts from a commercial grower..... Welcome to the Wild West!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I can't eat nuts any more, but I sure did love bourbon pecan pie, chocolate pecan pie, pecan slivers in salads, crushed pecans on the sides of the carrot cake (I can't eat carrots any more either dagnabit!), and the list could go on and on and on.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Doug_Smith wrote:

Thirty years ago I'd think nothing of hunting the critters and thinning the population by virtue of lead poisoning.... but everybody wants to live "in the country" so a couple hundred yards in any direction is a tragedy lurking.

PETA is happy, and we have to buy our nuts from a commercial grower..... Welcome to the Wild West!

A BB gun will work well in you're situation. Just sayin. smile

This is terrible!!!! As I was reading ya'lls reply to my post I suddenly got a mental picture of Zurf sitting down at his dinner table and he didn't have any nuts. Nor was there a carrot visible. I sure Zurf enjoyed his carrot and nuts while he was able to have them. I hope a double Bourbon will get this picture outta my mind. If not I'ma gonna have another double.

Nela

I had some bourbon too, just in case it would help to clear your head.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As I sit at my 'puter sipping Devil's Cut on ice and reading this thread, I'm beginning to believe you are all a little nuts ............:)

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs