Topic: Neodymium Speakers

My Peavey amp came with 2 x 12" stock Peavey VK 1216 speakers. They're certainly not the best sounding speakers available, and they're quite heavy at over 8 lbs each. I was thinking of replacing them with a set of Celestion G12 Century Vintage neodymium speakers (or something similar):

http://celestion.com/product/14/g12_century_vintage/

Not only should they sound better, but they will lighten my amp by about 10 lbs so I can haul it out for jamming once in a while. I listened to a Traynor YBH50 amp with a neodymium speaker in it a while back, and it seemed to sound very full-bodied and articulate to my ears.

Has anyone got any experience with neodymiums? Have you swapped them in for ceramic magnetics, and what did you think?

Re: Neodymium Speakers

We've used them in high line Motorcoaches, mostly because of the size/weight advantage.  Neodymium is magnetically very dense compared to ceramic and allows for those advantages.  Weight is important when hanging speakers in cabinetry and ceilings as they tend to beat their way out of their mountings going down the road.  Celestion are very good and should fit your application nicely.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That's good info, Doug ... always preferable to hear from someone "in the biz". I certainly want to reduce the weight of my amp, but don't want to sacrifice sound quality. What I've been reading and sound-sampling on-line so far is very favorable. My amp also has the option of a switch to change from 16-ohm to 8-ohm if need be. That opens up a few options. Been also seeing some good comments about the Eminence neo's.

We had a thread back in August that might be useful to look through particularly discussing Ohms/Watts as pertaining to speakers;
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 01#p152601

Mostly the links for reference....

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks again, Doug ... good info.

I did a little more digging through the specs of my amp, and found out that the 4-8-16 Ohm switch on the back only comes into play if adding an additional speaker cabinet. The 2 - 12" stock speakers in the amp now are marked 16 Ohm, so whatever I replace them with, I'll just be sure to match that impedance. I could change the wiring from series to parallel if I wanted to use 8's, but there's really no point.

Appreciate the help!

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-12-24 04:09:00)

Well, I got to play a couple of amps with neodymium speakers in them, and I wasn't too impressed with the tone. Very thin sounding bottom end, and rather lifeless throughout the rest of the range. They sounded like something that is flat-voiced for a PA system, and not really for a tube guitar amp. The speakers that did sound the best to my ears were the Celestion Vintage 30's. But they go for around $150 each, so I started looking for alternatives.

Then I noticed some people in several forums recommending a source of US-made speakers at "Warehouse Guitar Speakers" (www.wgs4.com) that are said to be as good or better than the Celestions, but at almost half the price:

https://wgs4.com/vet30

Has anyone on Chordie bought speakers from these people, and if so, what do you think of them?

nope  im good with the bugeras that came stock but listening to the sound bites, heck go for it they sound pretty darn good!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-12-24 15:26:25)

Thanks, Beamer ... that's pretty much how I feel. Even the higher solo notes have some guts to them, which the neo's didn't have at all.

BTW, sounds like you're enjoying your Bugera. Their 333XL 212 Infinium (http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/ … INIUM.aspx) was my amp-of-choice, until I ran across the great deal on The Peavey. Turns out it would have been a better deal if the stock Valveking speakers were better.