26 (edited by meggiedude 2009-08-19 12:21:22)

Re: Travel guitar

The Lindo arrived today and I've given it a quick check over.
Well as with all budget guitars there’s good news and bad.
Initially out the box it looks mighty fine. OK the flamed top and the abalone trim are photos, but it still looks great. Bound rosewood fingerboard and inlays are not at all bad.
The worst things are the width of the neck – its huuuuge, the action - which again is way too big, and the fret end finish – which are shockingly sharp and nasty.
Really to make this enjoyable to play I will have a stab at trimming the (rather loose) plastic saddle to reduce he action, and also deepen the nut slots.
Fret ends also need a bit of seeing too.
Sound from it though is not too bad at all for a little guitar like this.
When I sort these bits and bobs it’ll be a nice little unit.
And at the end of the day it’s no Martin, but I have to keep reminding myself it cost me less than 10% of a ‘proper’ Backpacker. So overall, very happy (plus b*ll*cking was not so bad :-) )

I'm very new and looking for a "right" guitar for me (rather than using my hubby's)... I was thinking since I'm a small person this might work well for me... but alas I will continue searching.  I didn't think from pictures that the body of this guitar was THAT small!  Thank you very much for the video, it helped a lot in making my decision to skip this -- although I do like the sound (for what it is) and it looks like it'll be wonderful for camping!  Enjoy!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wow, this lindo travel guitar sounds good.
Much better than the $20.00 ebay junk I bought 2 years ago while looking for an affordable backpacker guitar.
There's a martin backpacker at the local guitar store but Finance would shoot me if I bought that...lol.

Thanks for the info!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

mekidsmom wrote:

I'm very new and looking for a "right" guitar for me (rather than using my hubby's)... I was thinking since I'm a small person this might work well for me... but alas I will continue searching.  I didn't think from pictures that the body of this guitar was THAT small!  Thank you very much for the video, it helped a lot in making my decision to skip this -- although I do like the sound (for what it is) and it looks like it'll be wonderful for camping!  Enjoy!

Take a look at a Taylor Big Baby if your finances are such that you can afford one.  It's a 15/16 size guitar (just slightly smaller than a "parlor" guitar), has true Taylor sound, and is very nice for folks with small hands.  Unfortunately, along with the Taylor sound comes the Taylor price.  It's not thousands of dollars like some Taylors, but it is several hundred. 

Link to a U.S. company that sells the guitar: http://www.music123.com/Taylor-Big-Baby … 3.Music123

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf... thanks for the suggestion!  Actually, I don't have small hands, and I kinda refuse to cut my nails at this point too - so I'm thinking a "regular size neck" or maybe even classic is best for me, but I'm a small person in structure (5') so was thinking a smaller bodied guitar... I was just shocked at how small the body of this travel guitar is!  I'm gonna keep on looking around the threads and learn a bit more about the different guitars then make my way to the local music shop and hold a few!  wink --- that Taylor Big Baby does look nice

Hi mekidsmon and welcome to chordie!

If you can find one to play, you might want to check out a CA Cargo. It's got a full width neck (1-3/4"), but a short scale. These guitars are virtually indestructible, so shopping for a used one should be worry free. They come up pretty regularly on the classifieds on the AGF or ebay.

http://compositeacoustics.com/Files/Pro … go_373.asp

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Everyone has their own window on the world.  I'm 6'3" with "piano player's" fingers.  I'm guessing that I may think of your hands as "small hands", even though I'm sure they suit you perfectly. 

Some other things to think about are 'concert' body guitars rather than 'dreadnaught' body style.  They don't throw as much sound, but are still fine for the sort of backporch/campfire picking & strumming you described as being your interest. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

33 (edited by alvee33 2009-08-27 14:56:35)

Mekidsmom, have a look at some electro/acoustic guitars. The body on these tends to be smaller than regular acoustics. I have a Yamaha - take a look at some of my other videos by clicking on the website tab to the left of this post. I am not a big guy (5'6") and also have small hands and find that the Yamaha suits me very well. Well... I like it anyway, and that's all that matters.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Another smaller guitar with great sound, so I hear, is the Baby Martin.  I haven't heard a bad Martin and you can get it for $299.  Just a thought.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks Guys!  I'm checking out all your suggestions!!

36 (edited by dfoskey 2009-08-28 13:42:26)

You might like the Ibanez Talman. It comes in 3 different models ranging from $170 to $300. They have an electric sized body and the neck feels just like one on an electric. The tone unplugged isn't very big but when it's plugged in it really comes alive. I almost got one once but i'm 6'4 and large framed with big hands so a small guitar is more of a hassle for me.

dfoskey wrote:

You might like the Ibanez Talman. It comes in 3 different models ranging from $170 to $300. They have an electric sized body and the neck feels just like one on an electric. The tone unplugged isn't very big but when it's plugged in it really comes alive. I almost got one once but i'm 6'4 and large framed with big hands so a small guitar is more of a hassle for me.

I got one of these for my daughter. Nice guitar. It's a very girlie model with a lovely big rose and other lacey type markings on the body. Needless to say she has hardly looked at it. I sometimes play it just to get in touch with my femenine side. lol:lol:

Too much information, I think...

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi,just joined
Managed to buy a 'Lindo' travel guitar for £15 from a charity shop,requires a set of string's and tidy up.
This one seems an older model as the neck width at the 1st fret is only 45cm.
also bridge end different style.
wink
Have some pictures to upload?? need help?

Hi all!

I realise this thread is a bit outdated, but figured it'd be worth a shot!

I have just bought one of the Lindo travel guitar fromn a charity shop (only £15!), but I need a gig bag for it. Anyone has any idea of where I could get one from?

Greetings Chordster, and Welcome to Chordie!

Wow, Charity shops in the UK don't think much of Lindo instruments do they?  Visited their website and they make some nice looking stuff, if the sound is as good you got a deal.  Sadly, not a gig bag outlet listed on their page... hard case, yes, but no sizing information.

If you were on this side of the "pond" I'd try Guitar Center, or Sweetwater, or one of the larger retailers even Amazon.  But you are going to need a physical dimension to find something to fit properly.  Other than that advise, Good Hunting!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

41 (edited by dino48 2015-01-21 19:10:52)

mekidsmom wrote:

Thanks Guys!  I'm checking out all your suggestions!!

Amy I have a Takamine F312 and it is very small it has very good sound and you can put nylon or steel strings on it,they are not expensive.I got mine from a lady used for Twenty five dollars she was going too give it away as no one bought it at a garage sale. It sounds a lot like a baby martin and is easy to play. I currently have steel strings on it and set it next too me when I watch tv etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey, Dino

Sorry, but I lost the posts where you and talked about your Espana 175, but man, that guitar does NOT want to be found except for the name Espana (see below) and it's being manufactured with that name by Dean and Gibson. It sounds like a rare axe, my friend, so I hope you'll hang onto it.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3014931827 … rmvSB=true

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com