Topic: NGDE

NGD Eve.

If all goes well, I'll have a Martin D12X1E tomorrow. It's their 12er with HPL back and side, spruce top, and stratabond neck.  Lots of high tech materials, so this is not a tonewood purist's guitar, but it's well set up, sounds great, and has a really good feel.

Cash is in hand, and She Who Must Be Obeyedhas given a thumbs up.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: NGDE

Pics or it didn't happen! smile

Yeah lets have some pic's congrats!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Happy new Martin day Zurf!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I don't have the guit-box yet! Tomorrow.

I got the cash from the insurance settlement from when my truck was crashed into. On the way back from the bank, I stopped by the shop and told them I'd come get it if my Funny Little Honey approved. He gave the thumbs up sign. This is my fourth guitar or bass from this shop, so I think it'll still be there tomorrow with that notice. But...if someone has cash today and says he'll take it, he'd be a fool not to sell it.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

What Unclejoe said.

It would be my luck that it was gone when I went back the next day. Got my fingers crossed for ya!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy NGD Zurf !!

You are indeed lucky to be getting a 12 at this time of life....... when I got mine there was no such thing as an digital tuner, just a pitch pipe or tuning fork.  I really felt fortunate to actually play it once in awhile, keeping it in tune was almost a hobby in itself.

Enjoy!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Drum Roll please.................

There's no doubt it sounds good. I'm happy for you Zurf

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Doug - That's why I like the idea of a stratabond neck and the high tech body and back.  They are less likely to be affected by temperature changes. 

Piecing together what I've read about it, I think the HPL is a resin based product similar to fiberglass or carbon fiber except that the fiber content is from wood rather than spun glass or spun carbon. 

The stratabond is a laminated wood product similar to plywood, except all of the layers of wood are tonewoods and all the grain is going the same direction.  This gives tremendous stiffness and resistance to warping AND is inexpensive to produce.  Plus I think it's real pretty.  I preferred the earlier stratabond necks that had more of a V shape.  This one is more C shaped, but is very, very similar to the neck on my Breedlove OM Retro.  That shouldn't be too surprising because Breedlove was going for a classic Martin feel when they made it. 

Anyway.  I'm extremely stoked.

Sorry Uncle Joe, but I won't be buying that classic Epi from you.

Get to the store and start snapping photos!  smile  Happy NGD!  Whoo hoo!  A Martin!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf, welcome to the "12 Strings R Us" club. As you will soon find out the joy's of a 12 string is spending 1/2 of your playing time tuning the guitar and the other 1/2 of your playing time playing outta tune. Also, when changing strings you will spend twice the amount of time as with a 6 string. BUT, it is all worth it! Before you leave the store with the new 12 string, check the "set-up" - low and easy on the fingers is what you want. Have the intonation checked all across the fret board. Purchase a good quality capo made for a 12 string guitar. Find out what brand of strings are on the guitar and buy another set. My string of choice is Earthwood Lights 9/42 - 9/26. The tuners you already have will work fine on the new guitar but while you have the "Go Ahead" from the "Lady of the House" get a new one. After you are able to spend some quality time with the 12 string you will find it is hard to put down. Again, get it set up right. With my 12 string I can make a B chord in at least 3 different positions.

Just kidding about spending all your time tuning - but thats part of the fun, anyway.

Nela

Got it.  She's settling in with the rest of the guitars.  Getting to know them.  They all seem to be OK with one another. 

http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/NGD/i-pdgq5JD/0/L/20150211_115134-L.jpg

I  like!💒🌄

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

HAPPY NGD!

http://www.actsonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Facebook-Like2.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Sure is a pretty one, happy NGD Zurf.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Zurf wrote:

Got it.  She's settling in with the rest of the guitars.  Getting to know them.  They all seem to be OK with one another.

Looks great. Hoping to hear it in the not to distant future.

Have they started jockeying for first chair yet? smile

That's a beaut Zurf.  Congrats!!

I love to see un-cased guitars.  I can hear them calling from here.

Cheers!
Jim

Lovely looking guitar - congrats!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

But how does she play? Is she gentle on the fingers? Does she put a grin on yo're face?
Does she "jangle" in all the right places? Have you stuck yo're nose in the soundhole and smelled the essence of a great new guitar? Admit it - it's something we all do.

Nela

Congrats on your new friend.

Joe

NELA wrote:

But how does she play? Is she gentle on the fingers? Does she put a grin on yo're face?
Does she "jangle" in all the right places? Have you stuck yo're nose in the soundhole and smelled the essence of a great new guitar? Admit it - it's something we all do.

Nela

Plays nice.

Gentle on finger tips, but not on finger muscles.

She puts a grin on my face.

She jangles a lot.  I've learned that she jangles a lot more with a soft pick and a lot less with a stiff pick.  That's useful information to have.

I have not stuck my nose in the soundhole.  The back and sides are a resin based material like carbon fiber or fiberglass, except that the fiber content is wood fiber.  If I took a big ol' whiff of that, it might take me a while to find my feet again.

Thanks for all the well wishes folks.  I've been wanting a Martin for some while.  I really like the way they sound.  Though this isn't a traditional Martin with the high tech materials, it surely sounds like one.  I'm going to work on lowering the action a little.  Shave down the bridge a little, and take some relief out of the neck ought to do it.  My fingers are getting stronger, that's for sure.  And I'm having to be a lot more precise about where I place them to get both strings.  I have a feeling this guitar will force me to become a better player. 

Now it's time to start working on an arrangement of Sundown...

- Zurf

Nice new guitar, Zurf ... a thousand and one congratulations.

Schweeeet Zurf !!!!

As I don't play my 00016-SRGT much anymore, I'm thinking about taking it to GC and see if I can trade it for something I like better.  If I get rid of it, I might have a Martin strap to give you at Chordiestock.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

DE you better do it before they shut teh store down.. its coming down to shutting down.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)