Topic: Need Suggestions for Playlist

My gf and I are having a baby a week from today! We are going to name her Ella.

I would like for Ella's first hour of life (or at least first hour with me) to be very musical and want to put together a playlist for her. I'm going to record some stuff for her this weekend but would also like some amazing music suggestions from the likes of you. With no offense to our resident Metalizer, I will not be playing anything louder than some New Orleans funk. I'm thinking mostly singer songwriter-type stuff with great lyrics from any generation.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

-BGD

Re: Need Suggestions for Playlist

Congrats BGD - Fatherhood will be the best and most frustrating thing you have ever been through. I've raised 3 and wouldn't give them up for anything.

The first tune that came to mind was "Isn't She Lovely" - Stevie Wonder. Although not really a guitar song, I have no doubt you can do it justice.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great idea! And congrats on the upcoming arrival of baby Ella. 

I never played songs for my children (3 girls and a boy) when they were that young, but some of the "easy listening" tunes I used to play a lot when they were toddlers:

"Poems, Prayers and Promises" - John Denver
"For Baby (For Bobbie)" - John Denver
"Rainy Day People" - Gordan Lightfoot

I could add more, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Baldguitardude wrote:

My gf and I are having a baby a week from today! We are going to name her Ella.

-BGD

It must be nice to know a week in advance.... saves all that confusion in the middle of the night, mixed with panic.  Congrats on your expected arrival! Hope all goes well as expected.

Doug & Janet

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Here is a set list I used over and over again to get my eldest to sleep when she was a baby.  I was in grad school at the time, so if these didn't work, I read Managerial Accounting, Statistics Applied To Quality Assurance, or International Economics, and that would generally work.

Sweet Baby James (The Cowboy Song according to my kids) - James Taylor
Jacques Cousteau - Livingston Taylor
Featherbed - John McCutcheon
Crazy - Willie Nelson
Grandma's Featherbed - John Denver
Morning Has Broken - Cat Stevens
Slip Sliding Away - Paul Simon
Amazing Grace - Willie style version
King of the Road - Roger Miller
Age - Jim Croce
Big Wheel - Jim Croce
They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More - Jimmy Buffett

I remember one time I was in Philadelphia on business.  After business was concluded, it was too late to drive home so I got a hotel and decided to go for some live music. I found a bar on-line and took a cab over to it. It was on the second story and there was an old wooden staircase with wood paneled walls leading up to it.  Great acoustics in the stairwell.  Anyway, I called to sing my lullabies from the stairwell, and while I was singing Sweet Baby James a few attractive young gals came in.  It looked like they had already had a few "curb beers" to warm up.  They huddled around me and sang back-up for the lullaby.  They sang for crap, but I didn't mind the huddling.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Congrasts to you  and gf,astopdown said it is hard but well worth it. I made a list.                           Dannys song  (Kenny Loggins)      Blackbird( Beatles )     I got a name(Jim Croce).   My Girl (Temtations)    My special angel (Bobby Helms)    Memeories are made of this. (Jim Reeves)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A beautiful song by Marc Cohn called "The Things We've Handed Down."

I put my children to sleep with these 3 songs the most

Beth -kiss
Cats in the cradle - Harry Chapen
Taxie and Sequel by Harry.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-20 12:36:55)

When my boys were small, they loved when I played this one for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY__agG_eXc

Bruce Cockburn   "Wonder Where the Lions Are"

I can still picture my youngest (Timothy) bouncing around to it in his high chair, trying to sing and flinging Alpha-Ghetti everywhere. He's 29 now, and still loves music and Alpha Ghetti.

BGD, what a great idea for Chordie thread! I think we're all feeling honoured to be asked for song requests; thank-you. You and your girlfriend are setting off on a wonderful adventure as parents. Enjoy!

Congratulations on you and your love's "special delivery" BGD ! Here are the ones my kids and grand kids remember most.

Puff the magic dragon
Somewhere over the rainbow
Little folks- by Charlie Daniels

Congrats on the new addition.

Mine are all grown up but way back when, I would play:

The Unicorn - the Irish Rovers

Ripple/Brokedown Palace - Garcia/Hunter

I've Got a Name - Jim Croce

Country Road - John Denver

There were a handful of kids songs in there as well. Wheels on the Bus, Down by the Bay, etc. I pulled them from a  Raffi songbook.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ … Ck%3Araffi

Congrats BGD - You'll be surprised, but it won't really much matter what happens in the first hour (the nurses will traumatize the baby with the first bath after the squishing of her head to get out, all she'll want to do is nurse and sleep).  BUT... I had little lullabies I made up for my kids that I'd hum and sing all the time.  I've written them on paper and tucked them away... someday maybe I'll try to put them to guitar.

As they've gotten into ages 4 and up, they liked

Puff the Magic Dragon
The Last Unicorn
Anything from any Disney princess movie played over and over and over until my head hurts  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

13 (edited by NELA 2015-02-20 17:12:26)

So, a baby is coming. You and your wonderful lady are now entering into some of the best times of your lives. I can't offer you a playlist but I can offer you a little advice;

1.  Don't say "we're not going to spoil the baby" - cause you will.
2.  Don't say "we're not going to rock the baby" - cause you will.
3. Don't say " my baby sleeps all night" - cause that won't happen.
4.  Best money spent will be on a good rocking chair.
5.  2:00am car rides will help when the baby won't sleep.
6.  Don't say "my baby will be on a schedule" - never happens unless the baby lets it       
     happen.
7.  Learn to change a diaper the correct way - always stand at a boy baby's feet and
     stand at a girl baby's head. Thay way, when the pee fly's, you won't get any on you.
8.  Be prepared for the hardest work you will ever have to do in life. Just remember that     
     all the hard work is also the most rewarding work you will ever do.
9.  Love and cherish the baby with everything you have . they grow up too soon.
10. The first time you get to hold the baby, don't pull the diaper down looking for written
      directions cause there won't be any. Raise the child with love, respect and faith. The   
      rewards are worth all the sleepness nights, all the worry when the baby is not well
     and crying, all the dirty diapers and all the other many things that will come up.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful and rewarding life with the birth of your child.

Nela

What a great group of people. Thanks for suggestions everyone.  I now have a great little setlist for the munchkin. smile

See my baby jive, by Wizzard.
Congratulations to you and your gf.

Thick as two short planks

Baldguitardude wrote:

What a great group of people. Thanks for suggestions everyone.  I now have a great little setlist for the munchkin. smile

I think your baby will be here on my son Nicky's birthday Feb 27th.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

We're going to want pictures of the little nugget.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nothing to add to the above, but many congrats, BGD!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Zurf wrote:

We're going to want pictures of the little nugget.

Website is already up for live blogging her first 24 hours. Just need my better halfs approval before it is made public.

If you know the outcome, it has to be She

the chordie geordie

Congratulations bgd

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.