Topic: Tune down 1/2 step?????WHY????

Theme to Godfather  Guns n' Roses  The guy posting says to tune down one half step...Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.   My question is Why?   You end up with exactly the same thing just one fret further up the neck.  If there is some kind of reason for this, would someone please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Tune down 1/2 step?????WHY????

It's tuning DOWN, not up. If you were goin up, the tuning would be F B Eb G# C F, and it would say capo first fret.

3 (edited by Guitaristhelp 2007-07-24 09:01:30)

There's several possible reasons for tuning down half a step.  Here's some of them:
To change key so that the singer doesn't struggle so much on the high notes.
To make string bends easier for the guitarist.
To enable the use of slightly heavier gauge strings without compromising the possiblity of string bends.
To get a deeper - heavier sound.
To be different to everyone else.
To copy your idols e.g. Hendrix
To make it awkward for other guitarists to play or transcribe your tunes - so that they have to keep retuning the flipping guitar depending on what they're playing.

Check out my site: [url=http://www.guitaristhelp.net]Printable scale, chord, arpeggio, blank TAB and manuscript sheets for guitar and bass[/url]

Guitaristhelp wrote:

There's several possible reasons for tuning down half a step.  Here's some of them:
To change key so that the singer doesn't struggle so much on the high notes.
To make string bends easier for the guitarist.
To enable the use of slightly heavier gauge strings without compromising the possiblity of string bends.
To get a deeper - heavier sound.
To be different to everyone else.
To copy your idols e.g. Hendrix
To make it awkward for other guitarists to play or transcribe your tunes - so that they have to keep retuning the flipping guitar depending on what they're playing.

Guitaristhelp pretty much covered it...   I sometimes tune down a 1/2 step to get a "darker" tone...especially for slide work. Also when playing a lot of church stuff that's written in flats I can play along in a guitar friendlier chord.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

When playing a lot of church stuff that's written in flats I can play along in a guitar friendlier chord.

That's the one for me.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks for the answers.  I appreciate it. 

Tom Beals

I agree with all those reasons...very good.  But many groups just do it because their lead singer can not hit the notes with standard tuning.  A perfect example would be Van Halen.  With Roth, they tuned down a half (and sometimes a whole) step because his range was different than Sammy's (where most of the time they tuned standard).  While this is only one reason alternate tuning is used, there are many more.  That lower, deeper sound is one.  Then look at Alice in Chains...their tuning (like on Man in the Box) is Drop-D (both E strings) and an F in there too.  Alternate tunings make for some awesome sound...and an easier time for a lead singer...

Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile