Topic: I want to replace my pickups (twin humbuckers) - any recommendations?

Hi,

I have a Tanglewood Tomkat.  It has two Humbucker pickups.  I have had the guitar for around 9 years, but have only just started playing again after a break of 5 years or so.

I have been reading reviews of the guitar (the internet wasn't as easily accessible 9 years ago!) and most people say it is great value but is let down by the cheap generic pickups.

Can anyone recommend new ones - I like to listen to all sorts of rock, but I love to play Blues Rock, so pickups that would suit this genre would be preferable.  I am not a millionaire so nothing too extravagant!

I have also started home recording, and am aware that better pickups would probably give me better results as well.

Any recommendations gladly received.

Cheers guys,

Stu

'Keep on rockin' in the free world!!'

2 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-07-26 08:19:09)

Re: I want to replace my pickups (twin humbuckers) - any recommendations?

The TOMCAT, better TANGLEWOOD guitars, look really nice to me.
Is your guitar looking like a Gibson Les Paul? I am not aware of the wood they use, and not at all about the coils or Humbuckers. I and maybe other fellow chordians, can probably give a more correct answer if your description is better, concerning the type of your TANGLEWOOD. I just look to the Tanglewood site, and I was really amazed, those guitars are really beautiful. Never sell this guitar, and if you do, contact me first (joke). They have quit a choice. I am honest, I know that Tanglewood produced guitars, but I never looked on their website.
If your guitar looks or is like a Gibson (les paul style) I suggest to take a look on www.gibson.com, where you will find their models, also their humbuckers. You can even listen to the sound of some humbuckers. Remember that when they put other humbuckers, you get the old humbuckers back.
There is also EMG, DiMarzio. On the DiMarzio I found this: Evolution neck and bridge humbuckers, with the follow comment:  with the right sound for a very demanding player: Steve Vai and his Ibanez.
I think, it ain't easy to find the humbuckers you have in mind. Gibson humbuckers have a more fat sound.
I own a few Paul Reed Smith guitars, I also have a special PRS, in fact 3 guitars, only produced in the USA for a short period (1990-1992) and the have LINDY FRALIN pick ups.
www.fralinpickups.com, you really need to see these humbuckers.
There is one member, who really knows almost everything about humbuckers: bootleger. Try to look after him, he knows really a lot. But at the end, you can maybe be confused about all those humbuckers, so my advise is, look on the sites I gave you, and MORE IMPORTANT, see EMG, GIBSON, LINDY FRALIN, DiMarzio. It is almost impossible to find a humbucker that wouldn't be the one your looking for.
You can even do what I did on a Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1 single coil, one double coil; gives a spectacular sound.
Good Luck, I hope I could help you.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thanks GitaarDoc....I had a look on the Tanglewood site and the Tomkat I have is not listed there - I have been told it does look a little like a Gibson/PRS.

This is a link to another forum with lots of reviews. 

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … omkat/10/1

If you have time, have a read.

I have only found one picture, and it is not like my guitar.  I think they must had made several different revisions, mine being one of the latest ones.  Sorry, I do not know much about guitars and their different types/styles - I have been told it is a Blues Rock style guitar - it has a quite wide neck and very nice action.  It has a solid body.  Single Tone and Volume control, switch for front, front + rear or rear pickup.  I recently had a problem with the wiring in the pickups - I put it into a local Guitar shop - they repaired a broken wire, adjusted the height of the front humbucker and set the action up - did a good job on it - it is a lot better to play now.

Thanks for your time - I appreciate it.  I will check out the sites you recommend when I get home from work.

Cheers.

Thanks chewy, I love this site everyone is equal, the older generation like me (52 y) have maybe more experience, and playing for years, we learn a lot from youngsters, who have another style. But 1 important fact will always return, THE LOVE FOR MUSIC AND GUITARS.
I don't know your age, but I admit, that my first guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Studio, in 1994, got it very cheap, and if you go to websites like www.music123.com or www.zzounds.com, you will really discover the guitar world. As it always is, you will find a lot of instruments, from cheap (but quit good) to expensive. There is no need to buy a new one, but it gives you a pretty good idea about all different instruments. Don't forget to visit the website of the guitar goeroe Gruhn, in Nashville.
www.gruhn.com. THIS ARE GUITAR SITES and not HUMBUCKER sites.
I have the luck to own a pretty nice collection, starting with changing the studio in 1997, for a PRS custom 24 full option. At that time here in Europe only a few people knew PRS. Until today, having Gibsons, Fender Tele (sounds incredible) in a light, dirty green colour, California Beach was the name of these kind of guitars, and only available in Europe. You had 2 strats and 1 tele, in limited production, and sorry for writing about this, my tele is a reissue from a telecaster 1952, and if you see the simplicity of the construction, I am still amazed hearing the sound.
I am more a PRS man, I have also a PRS SE Tremonti, and the SE series are affortable and the sound is real great.
I should give you also an advise to see what's going on, on eBay. It is still possible to do nice bussiness and you will also find humbuckers.
I hope that, if you love music and guitars, that you like these sites.
Keep looking for humbuckers, and as far as I know, on the Gibson site, you can hear the sound, and differences from a few humbuckers.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

ChewyStu wrote:

Hi,

I have a Tanglewood Tomkat.  It has two Humbucker pickups.  I have had the guitar for around 9 years, but have only just started playing again after a break of 5 years or so.

I have been reading reviews of the guitar (the internet wasn't as easily accessible 9 years ago!) and most people say it is great value but is let down by the cheap generic pickups.

Can anyone recommend new ones - I like to listen to all sorts of rock, but I love to play Blues Rock, so pickups that would suit this genre would be preferable.  I am not a millionaire so nothing too extravagant!

I have also started home recording, and am aware that better pickups would probably give me better results as well.

Any recommendations gladly received.

Cheers guys,

Stu

Go to the Michael Kelly website and take a look at the Valor customs. Their is a sound byte on a band called Ademption the song is my everything.  They use Rockfield SWC pickups the go for $100.00 american a set.  I have set on order but they have not hit my door yet. Since your on the MK website check out the Valor "X" that's my next guitar (I have weighed the cost & labor to build a new guitar and since I have not finished the three I am currently building) I have decided to to order that one.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

Thanks for the advice bootlegger - I am told you are the expert on these matters so thanks for the input...

Stu

If you can find some Gibson 496 and/or 500 humbuckers or some Peavey Wolfgang...people will replace these excellent pickups with Seymour or Dimarzio and then ebay them. Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio both have excellent websites where you can do some research. Lots of people won't take the time or spend a little effort to find out what their pickups and amps will do...they just start substituting. Peavey Wolfgang pups are hot! But rolled back a little they can take on a sweet tone like a Les Paul. The 496 and 500T (stock in a Les Paul Classic) are also pretty hot. Carvin also makes some good pickups and are usually pretty cheap on ebay...don't be afraid to tinker with them and see what works best for you! Most of the time it's simply replacing the pups and some minor wiring...be cautious if anything requires routing or chiseling of wood, etc..

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

YOU ARE 200% CORRECT: BOOTLEGER is the undisputable emperor concerning, not only guitars, but every single subject doesn't keep him away to know, to look, and more to give a decent answer.
I know a lot, but I can just reach his ankles about the rest.

HEY BOOT, have a nice day.

gitaardocphil wrote:

YOU ARE 200% CORRECT: BOOTLEGER is the undisputable emperor concerning, not only guitars, but every single subject doesn't keep him away to know, to look, and more to give a decent answer.
I know a lot, but I can just reach his ankles about the rest.

HEY BOOT, have a nice day.

Everyone's opinion is valued. I just express mine on what has worked for me. I have to be budget minded when I build a guitar or hot rod one because I have limited finances to do such. That's why I do repairs to fund my building hobby.

Bootlegger.

ONE FOR BOOTLEGER
- Do you make sometimes your own guitar, ot transform a guitar?, having the equippement.
Well, it can be an interesting topic.