Topic: using a capo on 12 string

Hi everyone. I've just been playing a 12 string I may or may not buy. The problem is, when I used the capo I found that on the treble strings everything was fine, but around the bass strings where you have fine gauge strings between strings of a heavier gauge, the capo just mutes the finer ones as the thicker strings just create a bridge. This is the first time I have ever picked a 12er up so any advice would be welcome.

Thick as two short planks

Re: using a capo on 12 string

I have owned two 12 strings but never used a capo,so I do not have a solution I hope someone will answer this soon I would like too know also just out of curisoty.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I looked a few this one seems to be the best it compensates for the smaller strings and is the least expensive
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paige-12-St … 1539417242

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Didn't know such a thing existed, Russell ... thanks. Like KIR, I've also found the same problem trying to use a regular capo on my 12-string, and didn't see a way to solve it.

I have a mid 70's Melody 12er and I use one of my Jim Dunlop 83CB capos when I have a need with no problem. I have to add that she does have a zero fret and an incredible low action which may make it more suitable.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My capo (Kyser) made for a 6 string won't work on my 12er, I purchased a Kyser made for a 12er and it works fine. The only difference between the them, that I can see, is the rubber is thicker, shaped differently and made with a softer compound.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Same as blue jeep. My 60's EKO Ranger 12 string also has a zero fret like Rogers.

the chordie geordie

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-04-19 10:18:56)

Dang! I was all ready to start one of those Kickstart fund-raiser things for us all to produce one, and now I see one already exists for a 12-String! sad

I still have one idea I think will make us all millions, if we as a group just invest a few bucks: Skin tone running shorts smile smile : )

Have a great day, my friends!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I have no problems with my Kyser 12 string capo. It works perfectly with my K Yaire. I have my guitar set up with a low action, use 9 / 42 Earthwood light strings and keep it in standard tuning.

Nela

Not had a problem on my 12 either, but I tend to nestle the thing right up against the fret so maybe not such an issue in close.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Dang! I was all ready to start one of those Kickstart fund-raiser things for us all to produce one, and now I see one already exists for a 12-String! sad

I still have one idea I think will make us all millions, if we as a group just invest a few bucks: Skin tone running shorts smile smile : )

Have a great day, my friends!

Didn't tennis pro Venus Williams do that a few years ago? It came off as a bit skanky, as I recall.

As Doug said proper placement  of the capo in relationship to the fret is very important. For me that is about 1/8" away from the fret. Any closer and the capo gets in my way when fingering some chords. Also, even though I have "tweaked" my guitar for proper tuning, (E, A, D, G, b, e) I will always check and retune AFTER  I have the capo in place. (Tuning depends on where the capo is placed) Anytime you add the capo your strings will be a little flat or sharp so it should only take a small bit of "tweaking". If you don't do this you need to give it a try as it will improve your sound and it works on a 6 string or a 12 string - acoustic or electric.

Nela

Who needs a 12 string? I can't even make 6 sound right.

Just love that jangly sound of 12 strings. But my 6 string Tak is still n

the chordie geordie

The best 12-string guitar capo that I've used so far is the G7th Newport.  It's a bit pricy at $35, but the tension is adjustable and you can easily install/remove it with one hand.  It's designed for a 12-string, but it also works on a 6-string too.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

Hi road66warrier. Soon after starting this post I also purchased a G7 . It cost me £25, so I suppose that's about inline with what you paid. A nice tool and I took note of what NELA said about retuning when it's  fitted. Next job is re stringing. Anyone got any tips?

Just put new strings on my 12-string about a month ago. It takes a bit longer than a 6-string and a tuner is essential, but not difficult. It also helps to remove / replace one string at a time, making it easier to bring it to tune as you go. I really like these Elixir coated strings (about $25 / set) because they last a lot longer so changes are less frequent:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71XDmheXKgL._SY355_.jpg

Same as any other guitar. Remove all the strings, clean and oil the fretboard (and the bridge if it is untreated timber). Clean the body and headstock. Fit the new strings and tune up, stretch the strings and retune.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I was advised by the bloke in the shop to tune either a semitone or even a full tone lower then use the capo. This is supposed to ease the stress on the neck, do any of you do that?

keepitreal,  guitars are built to handle the stress/tension of standard tuning so it shouldn't be a problem. I noodle around with alternate tuning but always retune to standard when I'm finished for the day.

T F, I've used Elixers for many years and like you I replace one string at a time.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

The strings I use are Earthwood Lights (9 / 42). My 12 string action is set low and play's like butter.
A little tip, when I change strings, is to leave all strings in place, and in tune, then change the standard strings one at a time. As I install a new string I will bring it to proper tune then [proceed to the next string. After I get all the standard strings changed, and in tune tune, I start changing the octave strings. I start with the 6th string octave and proceed from there. When I get to the g octave string I skip it and install all the other octave strings. The reason for skipping the g octave string is that it is the smallest string and the one most likely to break. This works for me.

As for what strings to use it depends on the guitar, the action and your ear. My advice is to try several different string sets until you find what sounds best to you and is easy to play. Lighter strings are easier on the fingers, easier on the guitar but also more easy to break. Find a set you like, get a couple of sets as backup and you are off to the races. Also, if you are out playing with a group and you break you "g" string just remove it and play your 11 string guitar. No one will ever notice,

Nela