Topic: Video - Creek Don't Run By My Cabin No More

After watching the Glenn Campbell special - " I'll Be ME" last night, I decided that I would forgo the embarrassment of my singing and playing abilities (as well as substandard recoding equipment) and post this video I made using my song.

This disease is awful.   In the special, Brad Paisley made the point of his grandmother getting it age 70,  his mother getting it at age 70 - and saying he is 41 - so he said he has 29 years for them to figure out a cure.  He also pointed out the need for research funding.

They should do a country Aid concert like they did for farmers a while ago - for Alzheimers research !

If you did not see that special - please do so - very informative and emotionally moving.  A fascinating portion of the documentary was the Dr. saying that his playing music probably extended his time of " awareness". Maybe there is a link there.

anyway - here is the video - hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGOyhH … load_owner

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-06-30 13:55:04)

Re: Video - Creek Don't Run By My Cabin No More

Being that I have Alzheimer's Dementia, I did watch the special and was very touched to learn how advanced it was for him when he couldn't remember the 4 words/things the guy asked him to repeat. I agree with the "music extended his awareness" comment, TIG and feel that way about musicians in general.

I cite as one example, the Maestro - Ludwig Van Beethoven - who battled not only with deafness but (in my opinion) dementia as well. That he was able to compose such excellent music despite those two debilitating diseases speaks volumes for us musicians.

As for me, I'm between stages 4 and 5 (there are currently 7) and can manage simple things. A not so simple thing is driving - I almost killed myself and two other people because of this. Needless to say, I no longer drive.

This isn't about me, it's about Glen and it was a very touching and informative program. Being that it was on CNN, it will be repeated many times, I am sure. Just go to ON DEMAND, choose CNN and SPECIALS.

Thank you, TIG.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

hi jimmy, very emotive rendition and i don't think pavarotti could have put more feeling into the vocal. don't run yourself down there's a lot of guys out there who wont do what you have, so be proud my friend. i was also captivated with the video. i haven't seen the glen campbell film yet, but i'll keep my eyes open for it.

i spoke to a friend a couple of years back who went to see his concert in the UK, said it was brill but he had to read the lyrics and still got mixed up on a few songs... such a shame, but he soldiered on. we should be glad we had his talent for the time we had.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I  agree  with Phill your  singing  give  the  song  a feeling of its  own  which  makes it  memorable ,great  performance .

5 (edited by beestie 2015-07-02 03:42:43)

Great song. I wouldn't worry about your voice it sounded great to me. My grandfather spent his last years with Alzheimers. It's a shame that those are my only memories of him as I was too young to remember much about him before he got sick.

Very nicely done, Jim!  And, if I may be so bold to say, I think your singing is coming along nicely since the last time I heard you.  Either that, or you really FEEL this song more than the last one I heard.  smile  Keep at it!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-07-02 17:30:25)

TY Beestie and Amy.....

smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim ---- Please see my comment on YT ---- and accept my apologies for commenting and forgetting to watch it. I wasn't meaning to be callous. Just forgetful. It's what I do ---- sorry, TIG, my friend, and I absolutely loved the song and how you performed it.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I think most families get touched by dementia in some form or the other especially as we get older.
A well written, performed and presented song.
ark