Topic: rock songs turned acoustic?

hey everyone,

i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for rock songs (or anything else different) that could be done in an acoustic style (think eric clapton 'unplugged')

i already do a mean stairway in an acoustic style lol

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

thanks,
mickey

2 (edited by wormproof101 2007-07-31 21:03:35)

Re: rock songs turned acoustic?

I'd try the some of the other stuff from Unplugged.  Alice in Chains unplugged is great, Pearl Jam works pretty well.  Just about anything that isn't power chords seems to translate pretty well.  But don't listen to me.  Try every song you like and let us know the results!

to be totally honest, i didnt know there was other 'unplugged' albums lol
thanks for the quick reply, ill let u know how i get on.

still, if anyone has any suggestions, please just let me know

thanks again

Listen to the Kinks (to the bone album) it's a gem!

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Lots of good info so far. Just about anything from the Eagles works well acoustically. Remember, many of these great rock songs started with one or two playing acoustic guitars or piano and evolved.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

If you think a song doesn't translate directly to acoustic, then translate it indirectly!

As an example, when Clapton took Layla to acoustic on the Unplugged album, he changed the feel and presentation of the song.  I do this all the time, but for very different reasons than Clapton.  Clapton does it because he's extremely talented and capable in many styles.  I do it because I suck and can't get the licks to come out right. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think all songs are possible to change to acoustic.

A few songs I do.
Civil war,,,,,,, guns'n;roses.
Creep.........radiohead
killing moon....echo and the bunnymen
otherside....chili peppers
t.n.t  and you shook me ll night long   ....  ac/dc
cum on feel the noise....... slade

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Anything can be played well on an acoustic, it just changes the feel of the song usually for the best. It gives a song a nice homey feeling. Most Zepplin can be played well with an acoustic since their style was influenced by old american blues. Have fun with different songs it's part of becoming a well rounded musician.  Try playing the song in a different style like rock to country or blues to folk. At least it will be good for a laugh!
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Some guy came out with an acoustic version of "baby got back" by sir mix a lot. The vid is on youtube. The guy who did it is a very good acoustic guitar player, and the song is hilarious played acoustic, though I have to admit it's kind of scary and I can only watch it for a minute or two.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

thanks for ur ideas guys, they gave me real inspiration wink

Shinedown's .45 is a good one to play on acoustic, and Simple Man by Lynyrd SKynyrd sounds cool on a standard too.... for both of those I like to tune down a half step
I'm working on an acoustic version of the intro from metallica's nothing else matters thats sounding pretty sweet so far

All You Need is Love smile

Be sure to check out Nirvana UnPlugged too

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

13 (edited by alvee33 2007-08-05 18:19:02)

I'm not a huge fan of David Bowie but recently have discovered Star Man, Space Oddity and of course Ziggy all sound great on acoustic.

Also Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer.

Och Jings! I could go on all night. Check out the Public Books for some inspiration.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Al,
there is also every Alarn song as Mike Peters has proved all sound good on acoustic as well as electric

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Goes without saying, Your Majesty.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??