Topic: Baritone Guitars

Has anyone here ever had any experience with baritone guitars? I was looking at a 27" scale baritone last weekend, which the owner had tuned B > B with heavier gauge strings, a full five steps below standard tuning. He was telling me that the added length caused greater string tension, so that the lower tuning doesn't sound floppy. It sounded very cool, but probably something geared more for heavy metal / shredding ... not my cup o' tea.

I wonder what would happen if a person put standard gauge strings on a baritone guitar, and tuned it to standard tuning. Would the strings break?

Re: Baritone Guitars

They likely would. Think about using standard strings on a regular scale guitar but tuning it up to a > a.

Also from E down to B is a fourth, not a fifth. wink

B E A D F# B,  Light guage sets start at .013" so not that different than regular strings.  Chord fingering is the same as usual, but the voicings are lower.  Open E voices B etc. and naturally you still have a capo to make the change if you  don't want that "darker" tone.

It's all good!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for the info, guys. I had never actually played one before, and these were a couple of questions that crossed my mind.