Topic: Anyone Do Just Instrumentals?

I'm a die-hard Ventures fan. The very first band I ever drummed for, "The Volcanos" (misspelling was deliberate, because we wanted just as many letters in our band name as our heroes had), played only instrumentals. This was just before The Beatles hit, so after that happened, we kinda went our own ways.

So play me some instrumentals, guys and ladies, if you please. I don't really care about the genre you'll play, but I'm partial to surf and that guitar style they play in Westerns.

If you have anything on YT, please post some links. I'd love to hear you play.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by dino48 2015-07-25 00:29:45)

Re: Anyone Do Just Instrumentals?

I do because I cannot sing but they are songs that do have words. Santana has a few good one's. I hum alot.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I don't do instrumentals because you have to be really good on guitar.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I don't do instrumentals because you have to be really good on guitar.

Ditto!  But that doesn't mean we quit trying to get better.

Here are a few of my personal "Heros" in that department though...... sorry Bill, no "spaghetti Western themes" in the mix, or surf either!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB4GRmgUpR8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cJ4wviwS8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM5gK1PFDTQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJk6HN7_2c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj457Z0dcVE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tI9QQpzq8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

After watching those guys, I wonder why I even own a guitar

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

First off, I see what you did there, my friend! wink

Just a few comments: I found the playing and music presented very pleasing and ...... amazing. The finger picking on #1 especially. I will have to click on more of Mr. Graham's work. Same goes for #2, That guy keeps that thumbnail nice and long which makes for a very nice percussive sound to complement those he makes with his other fingers.

[short note on this post: I am writing my comments as I listen or just after in case the reading of the post sounds a little disjointed to you. smile ]

3. Do I know this guy sorta "personally"? Gee Whiz, Doug! I never even knew I was "speaking" with a virtuoso guitarist. At my age and given my history with music, I've often thought there's nothing new to be heard for me, but here you come with no warning of what I was about to hear and see, and whammo, I've found what I thought was gone or had eluded me. I have no superlatives, Doug that you haven't heard or read before, so what I plan to do is visit your site, buy some of your work, ask if I can have an autographed picture for my "My Wall of Fame", and tell folks they're listening to a "virtual personal friend of mine" and hoping they skip over the word virtual in
hearing me say it.

Adding the expletive "WOW" to "Gee Whiz" is about the best I can do, my (virtual) friend. I'm totally amazed. Thank you!

4. Beautiful. I've heard "Water Is Wide" before and it isn't hard to imagine a river with Mark Hanson sitting on the banks playing this.

5. Never having heard "Ebon Coast" and lacking the expertise of some of the commenters, I can't really speak intelligently enough to critique the song, Doug. It's beautiful to hear and when I found out that the baritone guitar by Greenfield is $14k, I almost croaked. Plus, now I have the added "Burdon" of comparing the rest of all these guys' playing to yours! smile

6. I agree with one of the comments: The person wrote "this feels like walking through a city at night". One can hear the "frantic" sounds of a city in the performer's playing. Can you tell I'm big on tone poems? I love The Moldau from Pictures At An Exhibition and my all-time favorite, "The Grand Canyon Suite".

7. "Ocean" looks hard as hell to play, Doug, but to a drummer it all looks hard to play, so most of us are satisfied, during a performance, just to stick with the bass player and pray he has a good sense of "time". That guitar looks like it's had its share of beers and then some, doesn't it, but so does Willie's. Doesn't distract from the sound, though.

Thanks for sending these to me, my friend. I thoroughly enjoyed every piece I listened to and plan to make a playlist. Especially one of that Smith guy! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I don't sing well, so I have to play accompaniment.  But...I don't play well, so I definitely have to sing to disttact attention from my playing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Damn, damn damn! I must have been living under a musical "rock" not to have known who you were, Doug. smile As you can probably tell, I'm just back from your site and I'm speechless and more than a little embarrassed. I should probably crawl into my bass drum and live there from now on. smile smile smile

Seriously though, we're a college town here in Carrollton, GA and we have quite a Humanities Department with a year-long season of all types of entertainment. It's The University of West Georgia, and if you're available, I'd like to have the person responsible for booking contact your management. I'm an alumnus, but due to my mental challenges don't do much with the club these days.

If your wife could make it, it would be a double treat and I now have an ulterior motive to get you down here (bwa-ha): Getting to meet you and hearing you (and maybe your wife) playing live.

Think it might be a possibility? I'm sure it would be a sell-out.

You made my whole day, here, Mr. Smith.

Thank you!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Zurf,

I was just thinking about you and found the perfect song to dedicate to you. Listen especially closely to the "Chet's Guitar Course" part right at the first. That's you all over, Buddy! smile

Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v8sDd7DSl8

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Sorry Bill, but not meaning to mislead you...... that is the other Doug Smith (really!).  He lives just up the road a bit and I had a chance encounter with him at a hand-built instrument show in the Portland area. Really a nice fellow and gives good seminars, but I found unable to bestow magical musical powers to myself despite our shared name.

Pleased you liked the music though!

Take Care;
Doug

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-25 04:40:02)

Oh. Well then......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

Well, could you pretend you're that Doug Smith, then? I mean, that's a lot of words of praise I just wrote and if you played as well as that guy, I'd have written them to you instead. smile

All kidding aside thanks for being a bud and my personal Doug Smith. That goes for everyone here.

Disclaimer: Not gay. Just an English major who also loves to write. Sometimes with his foot in his hand and his mouth. wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

SB yes I have quite a few original instrumentals in several genre this is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMpG3MO6v0

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks, Russell. Umm, I'm not gonna make an ass out of myself, am I? smile smile smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

No instrumentals   for  me Bill just  long  self indulgent  solos ....lol

15 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-07-25 10:27:29)

As a lover of prog rock and classical music, I guess a bias towards instrumental music is rightly assumed. Watching Doug's last piece (Ocean) in his post is especially intriguing, because playing a 12-string finger-style has a whole set of unique challenges with it. There are some very amazing finger-style guitarists out there, who blow me away with both their amazing technique and musicality. Artists like Don Ross, Michael Chapdelaine, Adrian Legg, and Benjamin Woods are just a few that make my jaw drop every time I hear them.

Most of this talent will never be mainstream, because the majority of humans don't play musical instruments. Like a tourist struggling with the language of a foreign land, it's tough for a non-musician to truly understand and appreciate instrumental music of any kind. This isn't a criticism in any way, shape, or form ... but an understandable limitation.

Wingway Momstein make your list, TF?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

17 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-25 12:18:42)

Zurf wrote:

I don't sing well, so I have to play accompaniment.  But...I don't play well, so I definitely have to sing to disttact attention from my playing.

smile smile smile : ) smile I disagree, but this is hilarious!!!!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Thanks, Russell. Umm, I'm not gonna make an ass out of myself, am I? smile smile smile

Oh no, that's REALLY our very own Russell.  He's awesome!  smile 

Russell threw this whole song together aside from my writing, singing, rhythm guitar, and another (long lost chordie member) picking - everything else was ALL RUSSELL!  http://www.soundclick.com/player/single … p;newref=1  AND - he had to deal with my not so awesome timing across the internet to do it!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Anyone Do Just Instrumentals..
Well I guess I fall into that category  smile
lyrics don't come easy for me though I've had a go in the past and still do I'm just not happy with the results I produce.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Wingway Momstein make your list, TF?

There's no denying Yngwie Malmsteen's talent, but to me it's just speed for speed's sake ... no real musicality or creativity. Herman Li is another guy in this category. I couldn't hold a candle to any of them for sure, but that style simply doesn't interest me.

arkady wrote:

Anyone Do Just Instrumentals..
Well I guess I fall into that category  smile
lyrics don't come easy for me though I've had a go in the past and still do I'm just not happy with the results I produce.

OH yes... I almost forgot!  Amazing stuff too.  BILL - have Dondra just lay down in bed and relax and listen to some of this stuff!  "Arkady KNOWS relaxation"

smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

22 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-25 17:22:32)

Guess I butchered that name, huh? wink

For speed, I liked Danny Gatton, but he up'n died, didn't he. (That's the way you say it down here. Never just "died". For some reason, they have to get "up" to do it. Go figure. smile smile  )

Anyway, yeah, TF speed without melody sucks. smile

Amy and Arkady: Do I just put Ark's name in YT or are there some links?

Thanks all. I plan to listen to this and also Russell's work later this evening. Right now, SWMBO's got me doing chores. Yep, she's feeling better. She's back to........  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

Love y'all!

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

The Earl of Malmsteen really likes that phrygian mode and is really fast, but somehow lacking in the musicality of many newer artists out there.

Bill as a percussionist, I should have included something by Antione Dufur.  Another of our talented neighbors to the North: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlyHbu0zz4

The percussive fingerstyle is popular these days it seems, and traces it's roots to the Gipsy/Flamenco genre. But as you can see.... can be somewhat overdone and repetative (no offense to Antoine, but this example does drag a bit towards the end).

Enjoy;
Doug

Gidday Bill

Just read your interview link.You have lived a very interesting life.
You sound like an amazing guy.
as for instrumentals.
i can`t, i`m not good enough.
i always say
if ya can`t play   sing
if ya can`t sing    whistle
if ya can`t whistle  hum
if ya can`t hum
tap ya foot.

having said all that, i may try writing an instumental today.
expect something with lots of humming in it!

The King Of Audio Torture

Thanks, easybeat, for the kind words. Not amazing at all. I can ride a bicycle and I can talk the ears off a jackrabbit. That's all there is.

Good luck with the  instrumental, my friend and don't forget to link me/us to it when you get done, Mr. "Rough as gut...". smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass