1 (edited by beestie 2015-08-03 02:46:41)

Topic: The Oxygen Thief

I wrote this after talking to a girl who fighting for custody of her daughter. She is busy working hard trying to save enough to pay her lawyer, while the New Zealand government pays a lawyer on her ex's behalf to fight her for custody. She had to leave a high paying job in Australia and a brand new house to fight for her daughter.  He has 4 kids to 3 different woman. Both he and the "lady" he lives with don't have a job and he has never held down a job for over 6 months.  The government is happy to pay him a benefit to look after the kid  (including a house paid for by the state),  while my friend would be willing to look after her for free. The song is a mixture of several people I have been unfortunate to meet over the years. An Oxygen thief is some one who's sole contribution to the world is to use up some of its oxygen. Sorry if I sound bitter and twisted but I have met too many of these people who's aim in life is to make life harder for the rest of us.

The Oxygen Thief
(Play fast)

[C] All he wants to do is drink, that’s how he has his fun
And [G] when he’s drunk, he wants to fight, he’ll fight most anyone
When [F] he’s not drunk, he’s smoking dope, half the day he’s high
[G] It is his fault he’s got no job, he doesn’t even try.
[C] He hasn’t worked in twenty years and I don’t think he could
[F] He’s got no ambition to do anything good

Chorus:
[G] He lives to [C] drink and [G] smoke and [G]  fight, he’s on [C] the piss [G] most every [C] night
[G] He lives to [C] drink and [G] smoke and [G]  fight, he’s on [C] the piss [G] most every [C] night

[C] The ambulance staff all know him, they’ve been so many times
[G] The police are often there, he’s done so many crimes.
[F] Hospital’s a second home, they all know him by name
[C] He drive’s the nurses up the wall with all his silly games
Chorus:

[C] He’s got three kid’s  with different mums, who’ve sent Him on his way
[F] The government looks after them, he will never pay
[G] Child support is just a dream, the mum’ will never collect
[C] The government just pays the lot including all the rent
Chorus :

Re: The Oxygen Thief

You hit the nail on the head. You tell it as it is great social comment about that character type. I have met many. Well done beastie.

When any system protects the lazy at the expense of the ambitious, then it's broken.

4 (edited by beestie 2015-08-04 02:11:17)

Here is the link. I tried to play it fast but kept tripping over my tongue, so this is how it ended up after over 20 attempts.
https://soundcloud.com/sak-26/the-oxygen-thiefmp3

What instrument are you playing?

6 (edited by beestie 2015-08-04 00:11:36)

I'm playing a S1 Martin Soprano Ukulele. (badly) I usually use My Australian Maton concert but we had a power cut last night so I decided to do some recording and had left the Maton at work. The Maton is a bit louder and more mellow.

Well written beestie and sadly very true of some people.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan