Topic: ORIGIN of the GUITAR

Surfing on the internet, brought me on a site, where, despite the fact we all think that the ROOTS of the guitar are found in Europe, a couple of 100 years ago, so I was very amazed to see, and to read that article.
The roots of the GUITAR seems to come from INDIA. But changes, wars, invasions, made it disappear. What I found was quit amazing, and I ASK YOUR OPINION, about this fact.
The instrument had the name: kachhapi veena a bit later: Geetar.
Geet + Tar means an instrument with tar or strings that can be played for any geet or song. The word ‘Geet’ is an Indian name for song in Sanskrit.
This makes it not so easy, but we have a fellow chordian from India. I hope to see what he thinks.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ORIGIN of the GUITAR

Thanks for sharing that information. I found it very interesting and very informative.

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.

huh... thats pretty cool. im from east texas so we still pronounce it geetar lol

All You Need is Love smile

Hey,
That's new! I thought the guitar came from Spain... Talk about naive! tongue

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Yeh, thouht it evolved from the cuatro (little spanish 4-string guitar).

Wikipedia gets that name from this: 

"Spanish guitarra, derived from the Latin word cithara, which in turn was derived from the earlier Greek word kithara"

Before that, a lute was taken to spain by the romans..

Actually just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Very good topic.
One I think could be answered properly with research ( maybe more than internet research)
But I would have thought it would originate from india from a form of the seetar.
Or from the greeks or romans since they seemed to invent so much hundreds of yearsa go  or even thousands)

but I have to mention this ,lol. ( since the englis beat the scots at nearly everything apart from curling) it was the scots that played it first on the british isles, ( or could have been ireland)
http://www.standingstones.com/engguit.html

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

actually i saw a video that said the guitat originated in africa

well, neon, I found a website, I think on wikipedia that the roots aren't a couple of hundred years, but they are speaking about 5000 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

maybe guitars evolved from ukelele ..somehow  big things  start from small ones...

[url]http://www.aboutplayingguitar.com[/url]