1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-22 11:07:07)

Topic: Martin Lifespan SP Strings

Just for a change, I decided to try these Martin strings out, instead of the Elixir Nanowebs I normally use. Something happened that I've never experienced. When I was bringing them up to tune, the ball-ends broke off both the high E and B strings! It was right in the loop which wraps around the ball end. I had some extra Elixirs, so I used those without issue, along with the 4 wound Martin strings.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I certainly won't be buying another set.

http://www.westsidedistribution.com/assets/MSP7100-300x300.jpg

Re: Martin Lifespan SP Strings

yeah  I've  had  problems  with  martins  recently , ones  I've  bought  off amazon  ,the  high  E's  have  snapped  the  end  off   several  sets .It makes me  wonder   if  they  were  real martins   or  some  Chinese copy's

I use them a lot - never had any issues - I like them

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I don't like Martin strings.  I like their guitars, but am not a fan of their strings.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I suspect that since Martin is first and foremost a guitar manufacturer, someone else is making their strings under the Martin licensed branding ... quite a common practice. I know a lot of people like their "Silk & Steel" strings though, but these Lifespan SP's just seem brittle. Live & learn!

Hmmmm..... I've used them for years with no problems.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Never had a problem, but I've been mainly using the silk and steels. 

I know there's a wire company nearby here (10-15 min. drive) in a tiny little town (one of those towns that has one bar, a post office, and a small store) that makes some portion of their strings (the core or the wrapping, I can't recall which, but I think it's only one portion).  It burnt down last year (I think, or the year before? - recently anyhow) and they rebuilt a bit further down the road to continue production in a new location with all new machinery.  Now, that may have nothing to do with this post at all what-so-ever, but I thought it was interesting info. to share.  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The owner of that company obviously cares about the folks in his town (sounds like that factory probably provides the only means of making a living for the town's inhabitants) and is keeping the local economy afloat. That is always worth mentioning, Amy, and has everything to do with this post/thread. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

From the sounds of things, I must have got a pack with a couple of bad strings. It's that old "first impression" adage that's applied here, because I've never tried Martin strings before.