1 (edited by sat20387 2015-09-09 00:48:33)

Topic: Taylor or Martin

My credit card balance should be low enough to buy another guitar by next month.  I'm torn between a Taylor and a Martin.  Your opinion please .  which one, with electronics under $750.00 and why

I already have a Fender (no electronics)  and a Takamine (with electronics)

2 (edited by dino48 2015-09-09 00:52:46)

Re: Taylor or Martin

Thats a hard call,I like them both and have my sights set on a Martin D-28. but I played a few taylors at the music store and I like them alot also. I think you need too go to the store and play both brands and see which one feels best for you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I own 2 of each. My next will be another Taylor. I like the woods Taylor uses and to me the neck feels much better.
I like the ease of changing batteries on the Taylor. Tone wise Taylors seem much more alive.
That's only my opinion on the new lower grade Martins. But you play them all and pick the one you feel suits you best. Enjoy the search.

Joe

That really is going to come down to a matter of preference.  I say try them and decide then.  Although I LOVE my Martin - if I was shopping in that price range, I'd probably end up going for a Taylor.  The lower end Martins can be finicky to fret, and the Taylors ... well... can be "ringy".  In that price range though, you'll be looking at the X series with a new Martin (all made in Mexico - High pressure laminate).  If you can find a Taylor with a solid top around that price, I think you'd be better off.  Good luck hunting!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-09 14:06:38)

I'd visit a reputable music shop, get in their little "Try-It-Out Studio" and have at it. That's the true way of telling the worth of either one. Of course, if the price were right, I'd take either one! smile

Bill

ETA: Oh yeah, I don't know if they still make them or not, but stay away from the accoustic/electrics which make you loosen the strings to get at the battery. I didn't have arthritic hands when I bought my Jasmine, but now I do and guess what?

Right. I can't get my hand into the soundhole to change the battery. My grandson does that for me, and I have to play straight accoustic until he gets to come and visit us.

B

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

mekidsmom wrote:

In that price range though, you'll be looking at the X series with a new Martin (all made in Mexico - High pressure laminate).  If you can find a Taylor with a solid top around that price, I think you'd be better off........

Amy, I bought a Strat (still have it), which I thought was at a great price, but after looking very closely at the serial number, I saw that it was made in Mexico and even though it plays well, I wouldn't dare try to sell it for what I paid for it: $399.00 USD.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

In that price range though, you'll be looking at the X series with a new Martin (all made in Mexico - High pressure laminate).  If you can find a Taylor with a solid top around that price, I think you'd be better off........

Amy, I bought a Strat (still have it), which I thought was at a great price, but after looking very closely at the serial number, I saw that it was made in Mexico and even though it plays well, I wouldn't dare try to sell it for what I paid for it: $399.00 USD.

Bill, as an aside, some of those Mexican Strats are excellent instruments and highly prized..... and priced!  You likely got a really good deal when you bought it, but might want to "shop around" for a more current value, you might just be amazed.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Bill, as an aside, some of those Mexican Strats are excellent instruments and highly prized..... and priced!  You likely got a really good deal when you bought it, but might want to "shop around" for a more current value, you might just be amazed.

I have a Mexican strat and it sounds as good as any U.S.made one. I only paid $170.00 for it with a soft shelled case.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Personally, I'd ask the question: Larrivee or Eastman?. Taylors and Martins are great instruments, but I find them somewhat over-priced when comparing them to their equivalents (construction, wood types, features, etc.) in either the Larrivee or Eastman lines. Taylor and Martin both have extensive marketing campaigns, and that cost has to be built into the price somewhere. Nike, Under Armour, Shimano, Columbia, etc. are other brands which share this same "affliction".

Don't get me wrong ... you will get an awesome instrument with either a Taylor or Martin, and your ears (sound) and hands (play-ability) will help you decide.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Personally, I'd ask the question: Larrivee or Eastman?. Taylors and Martins are great instruments, but I find them somewhat over-priced when comparing them to their equivalents (construction, wood types, features, etc.) in either the Larrivee or Eastman lines. Taylor and Martin both have extensive marketing campaigns, and that cost has to be built into the price somewhere. Nike, Under Armour, Shimano, Columbia, etc. are other brands which share this same "affliction".

Don't get me wrong ... you will get an awesome instrument with either a Taylor or Martin, and your ears (sound) and hands (play-ability) will help you decide.

I concur with funster and I am biased as I own two Taylors a 510 and a T5 Z but I also own a takamini Jasmine that I paid 300 bucks for 25 years ago that I would not trade for anything. half the recordings I have on sound cloud were done with the Jasmine . having said that I did choose the 510 over the Martins in the same price range and a Taylor 710 that was more expensive but the 510 spoke to me as they say . buy one that speaks to you and cant go wrong no matter the brand

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Tenement Funster wrote:

I was going to offer alternatives also but the OP asked about Taylor and Martin. I have played both and have a Martin. I don't care for the "ringy" sound of most of the Taylors. However, I did play one that I absolutely fell in love with; the 214ce. It plays effortlessly and has a very well balanced tone. But the price tag is $700 over budget.

I concur with TF and I'm going to add another choice; Alvarez. I have a 35 year old Alvarez that I would put up against either Taylor or Martin. They are well made guitars, sound great and come in at $500-$700. I also have a great sounding Eastman that retails for $500 but I picked it up in the used market for $200.

Before you shell out the big bucks for a new guitar, look around for something used. The instrument market is soft right now and there are some really good deals out there.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide on.