1 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-20 11:45:06)

Topic: Riverside cafe

This is a poem about a place I used to frequent around 1969 /70 a bikers café near Preston well known for road racing at the time. The idea was to select a song on the jukebox set of ride a predetermined course of about 4 miles and get back before the record finished playing (not a good idea ) as the records then were under three mins as a rule.

Riverside Café
by
Graham Windle
©20/08/2014 all rights  reserved

Riverside Café,Saturday evening
Every one gathers, a welcoming sight.
One hundred bikers all gathered together,
The engines cry out as they ride through the night.

You challenge you rival to see who’s the faster,
Racing for beer is what its about.
You drop a coin, in the slot of the jukebox,
Select your record, then you rush out.

Ride hell for leather while it is playing,
Finish the course, before the song.
Show to the masses, you are the master,
Prove to your comrades that you belong.

Six-fifty Norton, the smell of black leather,
The feel of your woman as she holds on tight.
Your knee scrapes the tarmac as you take the corner,
You open the throttle, the front wheel goes light.

Out of the darkness, headlights approaching,
Break and then swerve to avoid the head on.
One hundred bikers will follow the coffin,
You’ve proved to your comrades, that you belong.

Re: Riverside cafe

I've  worked  out  the  chords  now  and  will  add them later .

3 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-24 19:43:46)

Riverside Café
by
Graham Windle
©20/08/2014 all rights  reserved   Demo http://www.reverbnation.com/gbbluesbandcrete?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav

Am                     Em
Riverside Café,Saturday evening
G                                D
Every one gathers, a welcoming sight.
Am                             Em
One hundred bikers all gathered together,
G                                 D                          Am~
The engines cry out as they ride through the night.

Am                               Em
You challenge you rival to see who’s the faster,
G                               D
Racing for beer is what its about.
Am                            Em
You drop a coin, in the slot of the jukebox,
G                         D                   Am~
Select your record, then you rush out.

Am                          Em
Ride hell for leather while it is playing,
G                         D
Finish the course, before the song.
Am                           Em
Show to the masses, you are the master,
G                                   D           Am~
Prove to your comrades that you belong.

F                             C
Six-fifty Norton, the smell of black leather,
G                                   F                    Am
The feel of your woman as she holds on tight.
F                                      C
Your knee scrapes the tarmac as you take the corner,
        G                                                    Am ~
You open the throttle, the front wheel goes light.

Am                          Em
Out of the darkness, headlights approaching,
G                                    D
Break and then swerve to avoid the head on.
Am                            Em
One hundred bikers will follow the coffin,
G                                              D            Am~
You’ve proved to your comrades, that you belong.

I like the whole tune grah, did you have a Norton? I  love them I could only afford a Triumph  650 Bonneville around that time. I never had a bike that could out handle as good as it did.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

great song well written, beautifully described, sad part is that i've known too many biker friends who've ended up in the last verse of your song.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Man what a biker song!
I am just going to guess that the head on was due to not staying in his lane in the curve.  I love my Triumph, and I got nothing to prove to anyone. Good song.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Dino I had an 850 Commando interstate for a while ,but when this song was set I rode a Honda CB 250 which was pretty much as quick as most of the British bikes twice it's size back then.Sadly I blew it up street racing when the cam tensioner broke up and wrecked all the valve gear.Parts were hard to find and it sat for many years in the garage while I moved on to BSAs and Triumphs.

8 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-21 15:09:09)

Scott  the  road  in question   has  claimed  many  lives sadly .It  was  upgraded  to  a  4 lane  carriage  way  in the  late  60s by  building  a  second  road  alongside  the old  one  There  is  now  a  set  of  traffic lights  at one  end  so  you  cant  just   spin round  and  come  back  down the  other  side however  at  the  other  side  of  the  lights  the road narrowed from 2 lanes to  one  ,This  short  stretch caused  many  accidents  as people  would  race  from the  lights  and  meet  oncoming  traffic .This  short  stretch  was  given the  gruesome name  locally  as  coroners  corridor. Thankfully the  last  time I visited  the  area  the  council had added a  large round about  which now  prevents this  stupidity .

This was so well written I could almost feel the wind in my face! Had a number of bikes when I was a bit younger. And a few close calls. Also knew some friends that didn't come back from a ride. Awesome job on this one!!

Dave

10 (edited by dino48 2014-08-21 18:21:07)

Grah1 wrote:

Dino I had an 850 Commando interstate for a while ,but when this song was set I rode a Honda CB 250 which was pretty much as quick as most of the British bikes twice it's size back then.Sadly I blew it up street racing when the cam tensioner broke up and wrecked all the valve gear.Parts were hard to find and it sat for many years in the garage while I moved on to BSAs and Triumphs.

I had Hondas, Kawasakis,yamahas that were faster then my my Triumph but none of them could ever come close too the cornering and handiling the British bikes had. The newer ones may be different though. I did have a lot of problems with the electrics on the brit bikes because of the Lucas electricals ( aka The Prince of darkness ).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

This  is  a  demo of  the  song
http://www.reverbnation.com/gbbluesband … r_icon_nav

I enjoyed the recording, thanks for the share.

Love this song, absolutely brill.

14 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-08 18:04:58)

My friend Peter (in Germany) had a helmet cam, but he got rid of it because so many riders had "accidents with themselves" by becoming disoriented when they try to film for a YT video. I'm not sure what he means by that, exactly. Can someone explain that to me? Do they actually see themselves heading straight for them by wearing a helmet cam?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

A great song - gritty and real. Thank you for sharing it.

Grah1 I love this song, the lyrics, the voice, the music, fantastic!

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan