Topic: Broken Strings

Which string do you have break most often? Or maybe a better question would be; Have you ever had a wound string break?

And yes there is a reason I ask. smile

Re: Broken Strings

Never had a wound string break UJB, but have broken a few high E's and B's. It happened when I was installing them usually, as I don't strike them hard when playing, and use a fairly thin pick (0.73mm).

high  E's  recently  as  martin strings    seem to  be having  quality  problems  on the  light  gauge ones  I  might  be  tempted  to  change  to  another  manufacturer    if  it  happens  again .

I think I had a wound G string give it up once (a long time ago) don't remember the brand..... it snapped right where it was dallied around the little brass "spool".  Took the parts down to the local store where purchased and they gave me a single replacement.  Guessed it was a bad temper in the core wire.

Usually it is the solids that fail, and usually from being kinked while installing.  Had a bunch of Fender "bullets" blow the ends off of a couple sets of electric strings, so quit buying Fender brand strings..... problem solved!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

D's and G's.  I used to go through D strings on my classical guitar regularly.  I'd buy two spare D strings for each new set. 

I have busted wound strings.  Depending on the song, I don't boom chucka, I BOOM! chucka.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've had a few wound strings that don't actually break but the winding comes apart usually over a fret. My fault reall as I don't change the strings as often as I should.

Thick as two short planks

7 (edited by dino48 2015-10-27 20:06:13)

unclejoesband wrote:

Which string do you have break most often? Or maybe a better question would be; Have you ever had a wound string break?

And yes there is a reason I ask. smile

I always manage to break my unwound e string. I still wear saftety glasses when I do change all strings. I never had a wound string break on me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I kinda forgot about this. roll

I bought 3 each of B & E to have available for our get together a few weeks ago. I didn't want to see anyone have to break into a full set if they should break one. The closest place to the camp to get strings is 50 miles away. Turned out they weren't needed but I had them just in case.

I used to go through covered G strings a lot. Cured that by using lighter gauge strings.

Having read the above reports on martin and fenders, I'm worried as I've just ordered 2 sets and 3 sets respectively.

If you haven't broken Es and Bs then you ain't PLAYED guitar...

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.