1 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-11-26 23:32:24)

Topic: Heavens Door-Survivor

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Heavens Door-Survivor

great song tig

Very moving lyrics. I enjoyed playing it through.  Nice one TIG

Thick as two short planks

Well written Jim, a touching song, will look forward to hearing you perform it smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Wow great lyrics I would do it with just two chords G and C.   I will bang it out that way and pop  it up on soundcloud for a couple of days. Hope you don't mind . I will take it down because it is yours. All I can say is it is a great song. I just want you to hear it done by some one else.

Thanks for the kindness.
Peatle- always nice to hear a song in different versions. Nice job!

Here is my soundcloud post of it -  keep in mind I am recording from a cheesy computer mic, I can't sing for crap, and my playing the guitar is quite limited - other than that it is OK I think ! smile 
Hope you can listen long enough to get the message.
https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/heavens-door-survivor

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

hi jim,

your lyrics are so very moving, as i would expect from you. when i played it through before i heard you play it, i wondered why there was no chorus? as far as i'm concerned you are the master of the chorus! not that this song needs a chorus, but i feel it would add to the song.

i read somewhere that dylan never plays two verses of the same song the same, if you see what i mean? so if you're going for the dylan feel, you're there. if you want to put your own stamp on it; show us your strength. please don't take this as a criticism i just want to help.

always your pal

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

8 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-11-02 11:21:09)

Phill,

You are spot on once again !!

After you pointed that out out I was like - holy sh** !

So I re-wrote it - made the changes above....  I like it much better.

I think that the chord and subtle strum change in the chorus gives it more of an uplifting sound instead of the dreary sound of the verses ( which in fact would be the point of the song - to be uplifted)

Wish we were neighbors - although our wives are probably glad we're not !

If you have any other suggestions I'm always good to go there.

If you want to give a whack and spin your own version - ( which is always freaking awesome)  go for it.

Thanks for the input.

Unlike Dylan, the reason my verses are always played different is because I'm not a very good guitarist ! smile

I'll try to put out a new audio on soundcloud with the changes soon.

Thanks again,  my good friend  !

Jim
Let me know what you think.

Jim I actually think your voice has it own wonderful quality it has a Bob sort Dylanish feel but it is still is unique to you. I just record on a cheap cell phone and don't have any fancy gear. My cover is not that great, what I was hoping to sort of pass on was you could make the song even more yours by subtly getting away from knocking on Heavens Door. I love this song lyrically I have a feeling that you could pull it away a bit more from the  knocking on Heaven Door backing and make it even more yours. Having said that your version is far superior to my attempt. Your a  song writer extraordinaire.  I, like you think that Phills musical talent is freaking awesome.

I think the lyrics are spot on, as usual. I am still amazed that you're a history teacher and not an English teacher as you do have such a great way with words.  smile  I agree with Peatle too... you DO have your own sound to your voice, similar to Dylan.  I never considered him much of a "singer" but he's still respected as a singer by me all the same - because he makes it his own - he does it anyway - he makes a song complete with his voice -  as do you.  Keep em coming!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jim,  had a listen, well done again.  I agree with the others and as I have said in the past , you definitely have a Dylan sound.  And as said earlier in this post, great lyrics  smile

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Ok - here is the link to the updated version - I can't say the singing or playing is any better, but the song is I think - Thanks Phill for the suggestion of adding a chorus.

Hope you like it.  smile

https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/heavens-d … vivor-2015

hey jim, just had a listen and i'm so glad i encouraged you to add a chorus or two or three, they certainly add to a very touching and sincere song. and the last line "looking forward to growing old" is certainly a hankey time and means a lot to me. the chorus puts your stamp on a tune that bob dylan and many others, in original form and with their own words, have made classic.

well done.

phill

Hopefully this will be it !

I listened to the change that I had made and read the message from Phill about putting my stamp on the Dylan song - At first I thought it was a good thing  - but last night  ( actually this am) I woke up and it it hit me - Phill's message was that it was still Dylan's song !   It hit me like a brick - I wanted this to be my song. Sooooo, I took it away from the Knocking on Heaven's Door chords in the verse and changed the chords.  It plays much different, and with apologies to Bobby D, I like it much better.  I will put a new version on soundcloud soon as I can. I made one slight change in a lyric and  I am keeping the title because I like it and it seems right for me.  I am amazed on how this thing tansformed from Playing knockin on Heavens door in my kitchen to this.  Thanks to all for your constructive help - love chordie !!

I hope you like it.

Jim

15 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-11-07 15:19:19)

I re made this song -  took the old version off soundcloud and put this on instead.
It has gone through about a thousand re-writes ! smile  and now I listen to it - I would take out the word "least" in the choruses sad

Here it is https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/heavens-d … e-mix-2015

I really believe that someone ( obviously not me) with a good voice and guitar skills could make this into a real good version.

Hope you like it.

Gidday Tig
hey you sound like me making apologies for not being a singer or much of a guitarist.
But i`m slowly learning, hey this is me,the song is the important thing.
I may not do it so great but here`s the song & i`ve given it my best shot.
If ya look up writers original versions of well known songs often they are pretty basic.
Look forward to hearing you play more of your own stuff.
EB

The King Of Audio Torture

Special greetings Jim.
You finally hit the nail on the head with your last magic version up on soundcloud. It is a great song, one that will stand the test of time and speak to many. You put your heart and soul into it which has made it work. You are an excellent songwriter. Thank you for sharing your talent with us down here in New Zealand and the rest of the world.

Great song TIG. And I just love the raw acoustics and vocals, just how a folk song should sound. You should be proud.

Thick as two short planks

19 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-11-08 13:54:08)

Thanks all !  Especially Phill !

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r566/JK072652/29a3bbac-7fd4-4248-a134-abe833e19137_zps8xetwp4q.jpg

with just a little encouragement your song has evolved from another "knocking on heavens door" sound alike to "faith, hope, strength; survivor" which is what i think you should rename it. only a suggestion not a demand, another would be to stop trying to hide your voice, take a deep breath and push it out there as dylan does. i noticed you had a few high notes and you reached them with no problem, project your voice as a drama coach would say, do not be ashamed, sing to the back of the room not just to the mic a few inches away. once again....well done

phill

Really nice Jim, like how you have performed this ..... great lyrics as always.